Hifiman HE-6 vs Audeze LCD-3
Jan 7, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #331 of 410
As I agree with Eric. There is a purpose to the LCD s
This is lesser quality recordings do well.
Look at the HD800. You cannot use that headphone for lesser
Rez or just bad recordings. The HE 6 is the same maybe a little better
In this category. So in the end it's what you like
If you intend to use them for hours on end
The can be fatiguing.

Al

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #332 of 410
  Ok cool, what do you think of them? Do the lack bass as some people say? And do you know anything about little dot mkvi+ can power it? It's made to be used with akg k1000 which I heard was similar in hard to drive :)

I bet I probably should loan the he-6 before I buy any and see for myself.

I would suggest the LCD-X. They are my favourite Audeze headphones FWIW and I do prefer them to the HE-6s (used to own).

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #333 of 410
I have a Sophia electric music set EL34 amplifier - I wonder if this can power the HE-6 hifiman well - I need the adapter for this right?

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #334 of 410
Specs please. And also ask brunk or perterma or prepoman. One of them should know , sometimes specs do not tell the correct story.

Al d

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #335 of 410
this is all I could find

Power:28 watts x 2 in Push and Pull circuit design
Inputs:Two sets of RCA inputs. Relay switches are being used for shortest circuit path.
Output tubes:El-34 x 4
Input/Driver tubes:One 6U8 per channel
Frequency:7Hz-30KHz +/-3dB
Signal/Noise Ratio:-90dB
Distortion:less than 1% at 10 watts power
Hum:2mv
Weight:32 pounds
Dimension:Width: 11 inches, Height: 9 inches, and depth (not including binding post and knob): 13 inches
Color:Black metal chassis with hardwood deco
AC Power:120V/60Hz or 235V/50Hz
Required break in time:50-100 hours
Warranty:One year warranty

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #336 of 410
You own the amp now correct. It seems fine. . But tube amps must have a 8 ohm load about anyway so a ten ohm across the terminals and the headphone across that . Specs are good. But keep in mind sometimes there could be noise floor issues , but attenuation solves it most times. Do you have access to a tube tester ?

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #338 of 410
Ok but does it play on speakers ok?

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #339 of 410
i use it with a naim cd player and  a pair of silverline sr11  speakers 

the silverline sr11 specs
Type: Two way, rear port, bi-wireable
Tweeter: 1" soft dome
Midrange/Woofer: Carbonfibre paper 4" mid/woof
Croissover Frequency: 3.5kHz
Frequency Response: 48Hz to 22kHz
Sensitivity: 87dB
Impedance: 8 ohm nominal
Power Handling: 15 to 200 watts
Dimentions: 12 x 8 x 10 (HxWxD in inches)
Weight: 25 lbs.

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #340 of 410
I would suggest the LCD-X. They are my favourite Audeze headphones FWIW and I do prefer them to the HE-6s (used to own).

How is the Audeze soundstage like, if u compare it to a headphone like HD650?

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #341 of 410
The HD650's had a deceptively deep soundstage when paired well. It was deep with decent locality on both the Zana Deux and the Singlepower Extreme when I owned the Senns. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #343 of 410
I would prefer the LCD3 to the HE-6 on any headphone amp. But with great speaker amps its quite the opposit. So if you want just another headphone go for LCD3 if you want to build the best possible rig besides Stax go for HE-6 plus vintage receiver or Pass amp. Thats what I did.

Jan 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #344 of 410
Hopefully Audeze will be at Stockholm hi end meet now in February. It is my only chance to audition them but it's mainly a speaker meet. There is 1 or 2 shops in Stockholm that keeps the Audeze so there is a chance atleast.
But Lcd-3/x is so expensive compared to HE-6. Oh well, saving up 1 extra month isn't that bad tho :))

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #345 of 410
I would prefer the LCD3 to the HE-6 on any headphone amp. But with great speaker amps its quite the opposit. So if you want just another headphone go for LCD3 if you want to build the best possible rig besides Stax go for HE-6 plus vintage receiver or Pass amp. Thats what I did.
The bane of the 6s are it's inefficient power demands. And it's not just about the amount of power. The amp with a large power supply can handle this beast without a lot of trouble. Many speaker amps don't and they will suffer supplying the HE with quality power. Quality is the amount of current reserves and the speed at which it can deliver it. (and natural soundstage) Though the HE doesn't draw all that much current, it does so well with Pass amps because they do provide what the HE wants, ample fluidity. And they aren't the only amps that can pull it off. The result of adequate power is a very aggressive attack and impact that can startle you when you first hear it. Very dynamic speaker like. The details and staging of instruments are another point that's noticed with good and bad power. The poor/under power has a fuzzy and poor ability to provide a vivid and clear presentation. It sounds good in the left and right presentation but the center and play between the two sides can be fuzzy and unfocused. If they are amped right, they rival the HD-800 in the soundstage department and they outdo the 800s on highs. There are a few mods that can be done to offset subjective energetic highs and restrictive soundstage with the felt and grill mod. The benefit the HE provides is a better value to stats. The stats give the best detailed and natural sound which the instrument comes and goes with a natural decay. Both are pretty close when both are tweaked with the right stuff. But to get the best out of the Stax, you need an amp that is more than the headphones. So you're dropping $7k on a rig and will have to commission an amp build. For half that, you can get a HE with a quality speaker amp. This is IMO using Estat speakers and planar headphones but owning dynamic speakers for decades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back