HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 14, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #10,246 of 21,868
Quote:
  Did you buy the cheap $4 chinese Denon pads, or from some authorized dealer? I can't find the 'real' ones lol

Quote:

smiley_thumb.gif
 Thanks, Happy Camper. I love it when you and preproman push me off the fence advise me on HE-6 doings. I'm now open to swapping pads
tongue.gif
but no poodles. May need the weekend to decide which pads - Audez'e vegan or Denon pleather? Where'd y'all get the Denon's??

I got them from MarkL for $35

http://lawtonaudio.com/home.html

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #10,247 of 21,868
For the first time, I replaced the velour pads with pleather and gave them several hours of listen. I expected a noticeable narrowing in soundstage, as many folks have said, but honestly I couldn't notice much difference in that regard.

What I did notice, though, was that pleather had more bass slam and was ever so slightly warmer and more full-sounding than velour. Nevertheless, HE-6 with pleather still sounded a tad brighter than neutral. I think the pleather works out better with more mainstream pop/rock recordings, while velour is the choice for classic or jazz audiophile-grade recordings.

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #10,248 of 21,868
  I'll have to try the tape - I always end up aligning my Audeze Vegan pads before putting them on - I also find them very comfortable

As I said in an earlier post I am using the Audeze Vegan pads and all you need to do once you have them aligned to where you like them is put a little piece of tape on the outside of the pad to the cup--keeps it from moving around an in position...

Jack

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #10,249 of 21,868
I basically had to buy LCD3's to be able to order spare LCD3 pads.

Now that redefines the word "crazy"

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #10,250 of 21,868
  I just ordered some too! Hopefully they get here by Friday. Audeze is only 30 mins away from me.

If they sound better than my stock velours, it will the cheapest upgrade I've ever paid for. Sad but true...

As I have said I have tried all the Pads mentioned in these posts and have settled on the VEGAN pads...

By far and away for ME at least these are the best all around performer with the HE 6 & comfortable to--

I also tried the AUDEZE  LCD 3 pads and I still prefer the Vegans

By the way you can now order the LCD 3 Pads without having to own them!!

Jack

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #10,251 of 21,868
Nov 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #10,252 of 21,868

As I have said I have tried all the Pads mentioned in these posts and have settled on the VEGAN pads...

By far and away for ME at least these are the best all around performer with the HE 6 & comfortable to--

I also tried the AUDEZE  LCD 3 pads and I still prefer the Vegans

By the way you can now order the LCD 3 Pads without having to own them!!

Jack

blink.gif
 I thought the aforementioned "Vegan" pads mentioned in the thread WERE Audez'e LCD-3 pads. Which Vegan pads are you referring to in your post?

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #10,253 of 21,868

blink.gif
 I thought the aforementioned "Vegan" pads mentioned in the thread WERE Audez'e LCD-3 pads. Which Vegan pads are you referring to in your post?

LCD-3 pads are the soft mushy leather pads.

Vegan pads are velour.

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #10,255 of 21,868
Nov 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #10,257 of 21,868
Nov 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #10,259 of 21,868
  For the first time, I replaced the velour pads with pleather and gave them several hours of listen. I expected a noticeable narrowing in soundstage, as many folks have said, but honestly I couldn't notice much difference in that regard.

What I did notice, though, was that pleather had more bass slam and was ever so slightly warmer and more full-sounding than velour. Nevertheless, HE-6 with pleather still sounded a tad brighter than neutral. I think the pleather works out better with more mainstream pop/rock recordings, while velour is the choice for classic or jazz audiophile-grade recordings.

i like pleathers on the hifimans for electronic music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back