HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #5,959 of 21,868
Quote:
Like what?

Because I'm shopping for an amp (for the HE-6, mainly) and I was almost going to go with the EF-6!

What tube amps could power the HE-6?

And, is the WA5 LE, better than the EF-6?

Got carried away there ... if anyone knows the answer to any of those questions it would be very helpful.

Not those little tube amps. Tube amps with powerful tubes, do you know 6550, KT88, KT90 vacuum output tubes?

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #5,961 of 21,868
Quote:

The Mjolnir from Schiit was excellent with the HE-6. I also felt my little dot outperformed in overall music warmth. I heard an eddie current as well that sounded very good with the combo. 

Oh so, in your opinion, Mjolnir is better than EF6...that's interesting...its only problem is that it only works with balanced headphones...

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #5,962 of 21,868
Quote:

Oh so, in your opinion, Mjolnir is better than EF6...that's interesting...its only problem is that it only works with balanced headphones...

Definitely a downside if you're coming from single ended. I've been balanced for awhile so I just know I'll be balancing headphones when I buy them :) .  Schiit was superior to the EF6 by a clear margin. Also felt that way about the Bryston. 

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #5,963 of 21,868
Quote:

Ahhh, those big ones, right?

(Sorry, noobie doobie)

Are those pretty expensive usually? (the amps i mean)

You can buy them used in agon, just depends on your budget. I just bought one for my HE-6, a Copland 504, 50wpc for $1k with 4 EH KT88 reissues and 4 TS 6550 with driver tubes, and upgrades to the amp (filter caps replaced, copper speaker terminals, diodes, other caps). This amp will beat any SS amp out there regardless of cost through the HE-6. It beats my audio research D70 mkII tube amp with 6550 tubes also.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #5,964 of 21,868
Quote:
Oh really!

Good you told me that ... someone, somewhere, was recommending it!

Yes, I've heard it distort with the HE6 many times, across numerous genres (world music, metal, electronica, etc.).

Are you looking to amp only the HE6 or something else?  If you only care about the HE6, get an Aleph 3 or Aleph 30 speaker amp.

If you want a headamp, wait until reviews on the Headamp GS-X with the upgraded power modules come out.  That may be a winner.  I'm sure Justin can get you a 4-pin XLR socket for your HE6.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #5,965 of 21,868
Quote:

You can buy them used in agon, just depends on your budget. I just bought one for my HE-6, a Copland 504, 50wpc for $1k with 4 EH KT88 reissues and 4 TS 6550 with driver tubes, and upgrades to the amp (filter caps replaced, copper speaker terminals, diodes, other caps). This amp will beat any SS amp out there regardless of cost through the HE-6. It beats my audio research D70 mkII tube amp with 6550 tubes also.

$1K sounds within the limits of reason :) cheaper than EF-6.

what's agon? a website?

Do you think they had more of that same...?

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #5,966 of 21,868
Quote:

Yes, I've heard it distort with the HE6 many times, across numerous genres (world music, metal, electronica, etc.).

Are you looking to amp only the HE6 or something else?  If you only care about the HE6, get an Aleph 3 or Aleph 30 speaker amp.

If you want a headamp, wait until reviews on the Headamp GS-X with the upgraded power modules come out.  That may be a winner.  I'm sure Justin can get you a 4-pin XLR socket for your HE6.

Its mainly for the HE-6.

Wouldn't hurt to be used later with other headphones, though. I don't own any speakers too, so I'm not even benefiting that way from a speaker amp.

Headamp GS-X ... I'll check now...do you know any release dates?

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #5,969 of 21,868
Quote:
Its mainly for the HE-6.

Wouldn't hurt to be used later with other headphones, though. I don't own any speakers too, so I'm not even benefiting that way from a speaker amp.

Headamp GS-X ... I'll check now...do you know any release dates?

I actually prefer solid state amps with the HE6, and with orthos in general.  If it was something like a Sennheiser, I'd generally prefer the tube amp.

If you want something just for the HE6, you can get an Aleph 3 or Aleph 30 used for about $800-1200.  Ordinarily solid state isn't anything to write home about, but those are Nelson Pass units which are pretty legendary.  Just Google for reviews on Nelson Pass Aleph to see what I'm talking about.

The last several pages of the GS-1 thread has discussion on the new power modules for the GS-1 and GS-X.  I think Justin is estimating September.  If it was the BHSE, then the timetable is generally unpredictable, but Headamp seems better about shipping their dynamic units on schedule.  A GS-X is one of the best solid state headamps on the market.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/112029/the-gs-1-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back