HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 18, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #5,926 of 21,868
Quote:
Wait till you get rid of the garbage stock tube on the Peak.

Did not even give it a try.
Till the Sylvania Bad Boys arrive I'm having to make do with the Tung Sol BGRP 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #5,927 of 21,868
Quote:
Did not even give it a try.
Till the Sylvania Bad Boys arrive I'm having to make do with the Tung Sol BGRP 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Good man. The BBs are my favourites.

After you and Pras mentioned Night Song, I realized I had completely forgotten about the album. Listened to it again after a couple years atleast. Great stuff.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #5,928 of 21,868
Quote:

After you and Pras mentioned Night Song, I realized I had completely forgotten about the album. Listened to it again after a couple years atleast. Great stuff.

I have most of NFAK's discography in FLAC on various hard drives.  Some of the recordings leave a lot to be desired, but Night Song isn't one of them.  Truly a masterpiece.

Edit: And for the record, I'm not Pakistani or Muslim, and I don't understand Hindi or Punjabi.  I'm strictly a Tamilian.  And I enjoy the man's music just fine.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #5,930 of 21,868
Quote:
All I am saying is if there are lyrics in the song and if  you understand the language you make a better connection

I mostly don't understand what he's saying, but this is probably true.  Speaking of, are there any audiophile quality records out of that part of the world?  There seem to be a lot of MP3 cd's labeled "audio CD" out there.

Aug 18, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #5,931 of 21,868
Quote:

The BBs are great...but I preferred the 5692 brown base Sylvania...oh and Solude's confirmed that it works just fine in the Peak. Bonus: dead silent and zero microphonics. These tubes were developed for military applications and are very robust that way.

Aug 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #5,932 of 21,868
Quote:

I mostly don't understand what he's saying, but this is probably true.  Speaking of, are there any audiophile quality records out of that part of the world?  There seem to be a lot of MP3 cd's labeled "audio CD" out there.

Audiophile records are far and few in between in that part of the world. A lot of Indian recordings aye poorly recorded and are generally  oversaturated and end up having  distortion tho the vocals generally shine through.

To get a taste of music check out Coke Studio Pakistan (India is not that good)  on you tube. Tucker Shankar is good too.

My Favs from coke studio (unfortunately You tube but the quality and arrangement is generally better than originals on CD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ4k4035JdA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjaH2iuoYWE  ( Its all in the lyrics in this one- its Sufi spiritual music much like what Nusrat sings)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Tucker+shankar&oq=Tucker+shankar&gs_l=youtube.3..0.141765.150870.0.151345.14.10.0.4.4.0.97.644.10.10.0...0.0...1ac.uEJJ4tz-kYs 
(One for sridhar -Munbe Va)

This is what I am listening to on CD now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhT9cc2Q8tE

And the Cd is titled Naina Lagaike. Good pressing and sound quality.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #5,933 of 21,868
Quote:
The BBs are great...but I preferred the 5692 brown base Sylvania...oh and Solude's confirmed that it works just fine in the Peak. Bonus: dead silent and zero microphonics. These tubes were developed for military applications and are very robust that way.

I'm only talking about in the Peak. I don't know what the BBs sound like in other amps.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #5,934 of 21,868
Its nice to listen to a different amp through the HE-6, I hear new sounds from tracks that I've heard so many times before. That's part of the hobby, I guess. That's why I don't agree when someone says amps don't make much difference.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #5,936 of 21,868
Quote:
Ok...so how is the EF-6?

Its more expensive than other speaker amps, but is it better or not?

Does anyone know?

Well, so far I think the EF6 is my best amp at home for driving the HE-6.  It's not as warm and powerful as my Marantz 2240 via speaker outputs, but the EF6's transparency, micro-detail, soundstage and imaging are superior while the power is not lacking at all.  My Eddie Current ZDT is a little more laid back, refined, and spacious sounding, but at twice the cost and with half the power.

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #5,937 of 21,868
Quote:
My stock cable is has been oxidizing from the Y split to the headphone connectors. One side is noticeably more oxidized than the other. It also happens that recently I notice the channel that is on more oxidized side is at a slightly lower volume too. That should make sense right?

Thinking of what a new cable I could possibly make on my own without costing too much - say under $150. For the time being, I'm probably going to amputate the oxidized section and use it as a shorter cable.

You can post a wtb for an original cable that is not oxidize.

I bought one from someone here who hardwired his HE6 for a really good price. I just checked it and its not oxidized like my original one.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #5,938 of 21,868
I got to hear an EF-6  today at the LA meet. I thought it was pretty capable amp for driving the HE-6. Very light, airy and transparent. Really liked the detail it could bring out. However, at that price point, there were a few other amps that did very well, IMO. 

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #5,939 of 21,868
Quote:
100 watts aren't needed.  My J2 is 25 watts at 8ohms, and it does a remarkable job driving the HE-6s.  The Trends TA-10.2SE does a great job and it's only 10wpc.  Even Justin said earlier that people are barking up the wrong tree by thinking the HE-6 is only a power proposition.

That's not what I was saying either, otherwise I'd recommend an amp from Crown. 
eek.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #5,940 of 21,868
As a preamp, the Peak has added quite a bit of warmth to the mid-range and some much needed softness to the treble.
Despite 3 hrs of continuous listening last night & another 2 this afternoon there's absolutely no ear fatigue. Incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back