HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #5,491 of 21,868
That $200 Alesis kicks the $2000 WA22's @ss when it comes to the HE-6, it's no contest at all.

I finally have the two amps working in tandem btw:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529140/show-us-your-head-fi-station-at-its-current-state-no-old-pictures-please/6420#post_8419339

Perhaps, without derailing the thread too much, when using other dynamic cans with the Alesis, what does it sound like? In contrast with the '22.' I'm trying to get an idea 'cause I might want to suspend my upgrades and bring one of dem bad boys home from Sweetwater or AMZN! :evil: Of course, @ 25 ohms the Denons may come across as a push-over... :rolleyes:

The HD800 and LCD2 sound much better out of the WA22, and I actually prefer my D5000s out of a modest SS amp (x-head).

But I do recommend the RA150 for the HE6 and K1000. A few other Head-fiers have liked the RA150 with the HE6, and cacatalysis actually ran his modded WA22 with the RA150 and HE6 just like I'm doing with good results. I'm sure it doesn't compare with a Darkstar but I can't say for sure because I've never heard one. I just know that it's a great match and straightens the HE6 right out in regards to the complaints I have read about them by those who haven't powered them adequately. It's a very clean, dynamic amp that is intended to power near-field monitors in a recording studio. It has RCA and balanced inputs, and is a dual-mono configuration hence the twin volume pots.

But I will say this: don't get a used RA150! If you do you will be disappointed, as they can develop some channel noise. They see heavy use in recording studios, which is its intended environment and a couple of us have had bad luck with second-hand RA150's. They're only $150-200 new though, and it's design has remained unchanged for three decades which is one of the reasons why it's such a bargain.

May 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #5,493 of 21,868
But I will say this: don't get a used RA150! If you do you will be disappointed, as they can develop some channel noise. They see heavy use in recording studios, which is its intended environment and a couple of us have had bad luck with second-hand RA150's. They're only $150-200 new though, and it's design has remained unchanged for three decades which is one of the reasons why it's such a bargain.

Listen to this man! I'm the poor person he speaks of. :cool:

May 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #5,494 of 21,868
Except when there is one used by a private owner for no more than 100 hour total.  Mine was bought around chirstmas time, packed in the original box ready for shipping.  I highly recommend the RA150, especially with a tube preamp in the front.  I bought it for $180-200.  If anybody is interested I will let it go for $80 plus shipping from Boston.  My WA22 is gone.  I am driving the HE6 with a couple of tube speaker amps.  HE6 is truly a great phone.   

May 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #5,495 of 21,868
Listen to this man! I'm the poor person he speaks of. :cool:

Haha I did it too, and the rough shipping sure didn't help. I had to put the thing in a huge floor vise to straighten out the rack ears of my first RA150, the fleaBay guy just threw it into a big box with some wadded up newspaper so I'm lucky it wasn't one of the knobs or something. It was still better than anything else I had tried with the HE-6, so I knew it had potential and I also knew of its reputation in pro audio circles.

May 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5,496 of 21,868
Except when there is one used by a private owner for no more than 100 hour total.  Mine was bought around chirstmas time, packed in the original box ready for shipping.  I highly recommend the RA150, especially with a tube preamp in the front.  I bought it for $180-200.  If anybody is interested I will let it go for $80 plus shipping from Boston.  My WA22 is gone.  I am driving the HE6 with a couple of tube speaker amps.  HE6 is truly a great phone.   

This is definitely an exception!

May 30, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #5,497 of 21,868
Quote:

popcorn.gif

PM incoming...

May 30, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #5,498 of 21,868
Quote:
Quote:

This is definitely an exception!

Ok grokit, so now what?! Should I entertain at this price for the D7000? I'm leaning but only if the pairing offers me something different but equally as good than what I've got - Pioneer SX-650 & Custom built 6AS7 OTL amp. I value your opinion and have trust in your tastes (The Good Wife; Haagen-Dazs). 
biggrin.gif

popcorn.gif

May 30, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #5,499 of 21,868
No, it's way overkill for the D7000, you wouldn't have any kind of range on the dials. Think earspeakers; HE-6 and K1000.

May 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #5,500 of 21,868
dt880smile.png
 My one year warranty for Denon expired on 27 May! I'd work on getting the HE-6 second half of the year though. His price suggests I get that first. 
biggrin.gif
 Meanwhile, I'd try very hard not to fry the D7000.

May 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #5,503 of 21,868
Quote:
Haha I did it too, and the rough shipping sure didn't help. I had to put the thing in a huge floor vise to straighten out the rack ears of my first RA150, the fleaBay guy just threw it into a big box with some wadded up newspaper so I'm lucky it wasn't one of the knobs or something. It was still better than anything else I had tried with the HE-6, so I knew it had potential and I also knew of its reputation in pro audio circles.

Quote:

Interesting. Could you guys comment on the noise floor of that amp? 

May 30, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #5,504 of 21,868
The RA150 that I have now (that I bought new) is dead silent in the background, no problems whatsoever. That first messed-up one that I got used on fleaBay had intermittent channel noise on the right side, and both pots were noisy when adjusting them. But when the noise wasn't happening that one was dead silent in the background as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back