HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #4,711 of 21,868
I've seen the RA150 around and have been curious about it. I'm currently using my 100wpc Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver (via speaker to XLR adapter) for my HE-6. It sounds great -- better than the Violectric V200 -- but with a headphone that scales like the HE-6, you always wonder if there's something better out there.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #4,712 of 21,868

Quote:
Those amps are just stopgaps.  All have credible sources that can attest to them being able to perform at a proficient level.  If I decide to go for the HE-6, upgrading to a more legitimate amp in the future would be the next move when I get more $$$.

The DTA-100 can drive the HE-6 more than adequately. It is a very good amp, for a stopgap. But compared to my 60wpc all tube power amp, it is not as explosive. It runs out.
The HE-6 can sink a lot of juice and not get distorted.

If you can try the excellent "Drum & Track Disc" cd from Sheffield Lab. Its for audio equipment testing. The 1st track "Drum Improvisation" by Jim Keltner, the 2nd track with the same title by Ron Tutt. A very powerful percussion recordings that will test the HE-6, your amp and your ears. The 6 comes out clean.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #4,713 of 21,868
Interesting conversation going on here.  I'm the one who tried the RA150 used, albiet with my 5LEs.  Just as Grokit said, good power but the unit had some channel noise.  

With the HE-6 I have tried the Alesis RA-500 (if 25-50W class-A is enough, then I hope 500W of class-Alesis can compensate.)  --  To date it is the best amp I have heard with the HE-6 (never heard the Darkstar).  I have heard them out of the K1K port of a WA5, the Peak/Volcano, the Pinnacle, a Leben & Lyr and all fell short.  

I know the math isn't in favor of the more wattage theory but so far that camp wins in listening tests.

I suspect something like a Havana + RA-500 might make a great rig, because in all-SS systems I think this HP tends to sound a tad brighter than neutral.  

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #4,714 of 21,868
Yes I would really like to try plugging a balanced Havana into my RA150. But I have a new strategy rolling around in my head: sending my WA22 into Woo and having it modded into a balanced tube preamp so I can put the two systems together.

I told you not to get a used Alesis, you did anyways 
rolleyes.gif
. Glad you're enjoying the RA500.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #4,716 of 21,868
Quote:
I told you not to get a used Alesis, you did anyways 
rolleyes.gif
. Glad you're enjoying the RA500.

Lol.  Well now we know.  T'was for the community.

The RA500 actually belonged to a friend who powered K1Ks.

I haven't bought HE-6s yet, and I remain unconvinced by the high-end after hours of auditioning over many meets.  To me it seems that if any component in your chain isn't "class A" enough (including the recording at any given time) then your sum experience is not that much better than the one you get with less demanding, lower-end phones like the HD650 or 5LE, etcetera.  It's a conundrum I can't get around.  

On the other hand the most convincing current-production hi-end dynamic I've tried so far is the HE-6.  (Yes, I have tried LCD-3)  Unlike many, I don't think it's a bad deal either at $1.2K since it does force your hand into purchasing a high-end power amp. so you're killing two birds with one stone really, (if you've got or plan to have speakers).

Dec 1, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #4,717 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:

Lol.  Well now we know.  T'was for the community.

The RA500 actually belonged to a friend who powered K1Ks.

I haven't bought HE-6s yet, and I remain unconvinced by the high-end after hours of auditioning over many meets.  To me it seems that if any component in your chain isn't "class A" enough (including the recording at any given time) then your sum experience is not that much better than the one you get with less demanding, lower-end phones like the HD650 or 5LE, etcetera.  It's a conundrum I can't get around.  

On the other hand the most convincing current-production hi-end dynamic I've tried so far is the HE-6.  (Yes, I have tried LCD-3)  Unlike many, I don't think it's a bad deal either at $1.2K since it does force your hand into purchasing a high-end power amp. so you're killing two birds with one stone really, (if you've got or plan to have speakers).

If you use a Yamaha CA- 1010, which I have, it really makes the headphones sing and I mean that literally, everything sounds good with added body and lushness. It's like transforming the HE-6 into a LCD-2/3. Similar sonic signature. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #4,719 of 21,868

Quote:
If you use a Yamaha CA- 1010, which I have, it really makes the headphones sing and I mean that literally, everything sounds good with added body and lushness. It's like transforming the HE-6 into a LCD-2/3. Similar sonic signature. 

Why would you like to transform the HE-6 into a LCD-2? 
confused_face_2.gif
 Personally, I thought the HE-6 is technically  a superior can and  I also happened to prefer its sonic signature.
PS: I've only heard the Rev1 and  it did nothing to me.

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #4,720 of 21,868

Quote:

Why would you like to transform the HE-6 into a LCD-2? 
confused_face_2.gif
 Personally, I thought the HE-6 is technically  a superior can and  I also happened to prefer its sonic signature.

Just wanted to pass the info. Different strokes for different folks.

I personally prefer the sound out of the Marantz PM-84 and have let it be known on other posts. Makes it sound like what the HE-6 really is.

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #4,721 of 21,868
I have both (though rev. 2) and HE-6, and I am (unfortunately) not as sure as you. Both have exeptional qualities. 

Quote:

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #4,722 of 21,868
IMO/IME, the HE-6 scale higher than the Rev.2 LCD-2. Use a good source, amp them well and they're the better headphones.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #4,723 of 21,868

Quote:
IMO/IME, the HE-6 scale higher than the Rev.2 LCD-2. Use a good source, amp them well and they're the better headphones.

Agreed about the HE-6's ability to scale with better gear. Versus the LCD-3, I'm not so sure yet.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #4,724 of 21,868
That is the core: HE-6 or the LCD-3? Would it be utter foolishness to buy the LCD-3 if you got the HE-6 already? Foolishness measured in $ that is...

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #4,725 of 21,868

Quote:
That is the core: HE-6 or the LCD-3? Would it be utter foolishness to buy the LCD-3 if you got the HE-6 already? Foolishness measured in $ that is...

Well, no. Not for me, anyway. I've decided that I'm going to keep either the T1 or HE-6 (which DO sound almost identical to me), and either keep the LCD-3 (most likely) or move back to an LCD-2.2 (less likely). I love the LCD-3 on around 90% of the music I've tried with them, but there are some recordings where the laid-back Audez'e presentation results in kind of a lifeless rendition of the music. That's where the more treble-centric HE-6/T1 sound comes in.

I no longer believe that there is "one (dynamic) headphone to rule them all."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back