HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 16, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #4,606 of 21,868

Quote:
I went with a Double Helix Molecule, which I have on 3 other headphones as well so I must like it 
tongue.gif

I was deciding between ALO HE6 cables and the DHC cables. 
Do you mind telling me how it makes the HE6 sound like and are you using the DHC with bananas? 

Does anyone have an experience with the ALO copper cables for the HE6? 

Thanks.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #4,609 of 21,868
[size=12pt]I've considered an aftermarket cable for the HE-6.[/size]
[size=12pt]But, having seen the gage and "quality" of the wiring between the jack and driver tabs, I'm not sure how much improvement can be had.[/size]
[size=12pt]So, hard-wiring is the only option for me.  And I'm strongly considering it.[/size]

[size=12pt] [/size]

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #4,610 of 21,868

Quote:

I had a feeling that the Liquid Fire didn't have the juice to power the HE-6 properly. It delivers just over 3 watts into 50 ohms and as has been discussed ad infinitum, that won't quite cut it with the HE-6.

Think what you want, but the Liquid Fire with the right tubes and the HE-6 have a lot of bass and better bass than my Pioneer SX650 vintage amp. However the LCD-3 with the Liquid Fire trumps the bass of the HE-6.

The Liquid fire comes with JJ 6922's they don't have much bass and are on the bright side. However put a quad set of Siemens E88CC= CCa nos, early 60's, and imo there is all the bass you would want, just not quite as good as the LCD-3's in the same amp and tubes.

Nov 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #4,612 of 21,868

Quote:
Think what you want, but the Liquid Fire with the right tubes and the HE-6 have a lot of bass and better bass than my Pioneer SX650 vintage amp. However the LCD-3 with the Liquid Fire trumps the bass of the HE-6.

The Liquid fire comes with JJ 6922's they don't have much bass and are on the bright side. However put a quad set of Siemens E88CC= CCa nos, early 60's, and imo there is all the bass you would want, just not quite as good as the LCD-3's in the same amp and tubes.

Sx 650 isn't ideal for the he-6. I had a totl from the sx line, and although it provides plenty of power, the synergy just isn't there. The sound was a bit analytical for me. Skylab has 2 big monster pioneer receivers from the sx line and prefers his he-6 from his marantz. So I'm sure a lower line sx receiver like the 650 wouldn't be ideal either. But the sx1010 did outperform the liquid fire that night on the he-6. Not to say the liquid fire isn't special, it's one of the best overall headphone amps I've listened to. But 3-4 watts just isn't enough juice for them. But that's jmo though, and I'm sure it differs from yours.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #4,613 of 21,868
Quote:
[size=12pt]But, having seen the gage and "quality" of the wiring between the jack and driver tabs, I'm not sure how much improvement can be had.[/size]
[size=12pt]So, hard-wiring is the only option for me.  And I'm strongly considering it.[/size]

[size=12pt] [/size]

Is this something that's done relatively easily by oneself or does this involve sending the headphones to an aftermarket cable company?
Or maybe better phrased this way: What is required to do this?

Nov 16, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #4,614 of 21,868

Quote:

[size=12pt] [/size]

I was thinking along the same lines or at the least directly from the connectors to the amp speaker posts. I already got some 20 awg wire on the way. Set the example so we can follow.

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #4,615 of 21,868

Quote:

Sx 650 isn't ideal for the he-6. I had a totl from the sx line, and although it provides plenty of power, the synergy just isn't there... 

x2 on this. I have the sx750 and the sx1250 and don't believe either is a particularly good match with the HE-6 (though they are both better with LCD2 Rev.1).

My Marantz 2275 definitely plays nicer than either pioneers, but I still think that there is better synergy to be had. For instance, to my ears at least, the HK930 is a much better match for the HE-6, as are several Akai integrateds that I have.  

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #4,617 of 21,868
in addition to the flimsy wiring between coax connector and driver, i find the screw-on connectors come loose every now and again, and give you that heart-stopping moment where the music cuts out.
annoying, to say the least.

surely there is signal being lost from all these unnecessary splices in the cable...

so i'm going to go straight to the driver, no doubt.

i might inquire with warp08 to see if he experienced any improvements other than ergonomics and function... 
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #4,618 of 21,868

Quote:

x2 on this. I have the sx750 and the sx1250 and don't believe either is a particularly good match with the HE-6 (though they are both better with LCD2 Rev.1).

My Marantz 2275 definitely plays nicer than either pioneers, but I still think that there is better synergy to be had. For instance, to my ears at least, the HK930 is a much better match for the HE-6, as are several Akai integrateds that I have.  

I have this baby here. Lets see how the synergy is!

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #4,619 of 21,868

Quote:
in addition to the flimsy wiring between coax connector and driver, i find the screw-on connectors come loose every now and again, and give you that heart-stopping moment where the music cuts out.
annoying, to say the least.

surely there is signal being lost from all these unnecessary splices in the cable...

so i'm going to go straight to the driver, no doubt.

i might inquire with warp08 to see if he experienced any improvements other than ergonomics and function... 
wink.gif

IIRC he said there was a big positive improvements, I just can't remember where he posted his comments.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #4,620 of 21,868

Quote:

I had a feeling that the Liquid Fire didn't have the juice to power the HE-6 properly. It delivers just over 3 watts into 50 ohms and as has been discussed ad infinitum, that won't quite cut it with the HE-6.

I agree with you. I audion a LF at my home for 3 weeks and I really liked it with all my headphones BUT IMO (like yours) I think does not have all the juice needed for the HE-6 to really shine.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back