HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #951 of 21,879
I believe one thing that is largely overlooked when discussing the accuracy or lack of accuracy of headphone imaging are the physiological differences of the outer ear between individuals.  Also, in real life, the brain depends upon time differences and some amount of L-R  crossfeed to accurately pinpoint individual sounds. 

With the possible exception of the K1000, all headphones remove most, if not all of these auditory cues.  In addition, when listening recorded music, the placement of microphones and the mixing process also affect the "naturalness" of the hearing process.   When listening to live music, the effects of the location environment (reflections, standing waves, etc.) also affect "perfect" imaging.  It is then up to our brain to fill in the blanks, so to speak.  We tend to hear largely  what we think we should hear.  

This is also true to a much greater extent when listening via headphones where our brains have even more dots to connect than when listening in real-time. 

Is it not a wonder that we have varying impressions of the same headphones when compared by different individuals?

Most suppliers of higher-end phones will allow one to return them within a given period of time if they do not meet ones hopes or expectations.  

Bottom line is that the best opinion of how a given headphone sounds is your own!

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #953 of 21,879
It's just too soon to form really solid opinions on the HE-6 when compared to other headphones.  I've been listening to them for 2 straight days.  All I can say is that, taken on their own, they are absolutely fantastic.  I am really glad I bought a pair. 

I can also say with confidence that they are clearly better than the HE-5LE, which I liked quite a bit. 

But until I have much more time with them, a comparison with the LCD-2, or even the T1, in order to be done well, will take more time to really get to know the HE-6.  Snap judgments often do not hold up all that well, IMO.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #954 of 21,879

Quote:
It's just too soon to form really solid opinions on the HE-6 when compared to other headphones.  I've been listening to them for 2 straight days.  All I can say is that, taken on their own, they are absolutely fantastic.  I am really glad I bought a pair. 

I can also say with confidence that they are clearly better than the HE-5LE, which I liked quite a bit. 

But until I have much more time with them, a comparison with the LCD-2, or even the T1, in order to be done well, will take more time to really get to know the HE-6.  Snap judgments often do not hold up all that well, IMO.

One could just as validly say that initial impressions are sometimes the most accurate. I can't speak for others, but in my case sometimes the longer I listen to something---especially something specific in relation to something else--- the more I start second guessing myself.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #956 of 21,879

Quote:
One could just as validly say that initial impressions are sometimes the most accurate. I can't speak for others, but in my case sometimes the longer I listen to something---especially something specific in relation to something else--- the more I start second guessing myself.

Well, that isn't how it works for me, but we're all wired a little different
biggrin.gif

One thing I can say for sure - underpowering the HE-6 will not provide the best the HE-6 can give, as has been said before. The HE-6 sound okay with my WA6, but they sound MUCH better with the Decware Mini-Torii. The HE-6 use more power from the M-T than any other headphone I have, but it's still more competent driving them than anything else I have.  While it may not be immediately obvious that the HE-6 are being underpowered, they have a much greater sense of ease when they have enough gas.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #959 of 21,879
Just had a random thought to try these on my Shanling CDP's onboard amp. It does actually get loud enough for live levels, surprisingly, but the sound is very smeared. The somewhat 'wall of sound' effect is there. Compared to my MKVI the power difference is huge. Looking forward to trying this on a power amp to see if it improves over my MKVI.

Skylab, are these similar results to what you've heard on low and high power amps?

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #960 of 21,879

Quote:
Just had a random thought to try these on my Shanling CDP's onboard amp. It does actually get loud enough for live levels, surprisingly, but the sound is very smeared. The somewhat 'wall of sound' effect is there. Compared to my MKVI the power difference is huge. Looking forward to trying this on a power amp to see if it improves over my MKVI.

Skylab, are these similar results to what you've heard on low and high power amps?

Yes, it's kind of a similar effect I think.  I would have called it "congested".  Until I spent some time with the HE-6 on the Decware, I didn't realize that the sound was kind of congested, and less nuanced and dynamic, on the WA6, when compared to how it is on the Mini-Torii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back