HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 27, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #21,811 of 21,868
Anyone have these issue? It's not a big deal, but the left side keeps falling off no matter how many times I glue it. Alcohol, then reglue? I haven't addressed it yet because it isn't sound-related.IMG_3748.jpeg

Light sanding, alcohol and epoxy?

@Sebbai

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #21,812 of 21,868
Is a a place somewhere where one can read about of all the different mods, their benefits, risks and drawbacks?

Anyone have these issue? It's not a big deal, but the left side keeps falling off no matter how many times I glue it. Alcohol, then reglue? I haven't addressed it yet because it isn't sound-related.IMG_3748.jpeg
Make some groves with exacto knife, then apply a tiny dip of express epoxy. Maybe need to remove some old glue, see if any movement is causing the cap to pop off.

Nov 27, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #21,813 of 21,868
per that pic I would extend the headband up away from the cap, even a 1/6" should do when using. Looks to me, its being lifted mechanically. After that clean up the cruft (glue/silicon etc.) It should seat and not pop off or give resistance in any way when you put on and take off. I had a 4XX cap that popped off a few times and used Loctite PowerGrab (small dab) and that's over with. It can also be used to attach discrete parts on xover boards and not damage the piece (like caps, resistors, etc.) If you have to take the cap off it will come off after the PowerGrab with about 15 psi of pressure will pop it off.

Dec 9, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #21,814 of 21,868
I need to ask for some advice from the good denizens of the (very lengthy) HE6 thread!

I have a pair of Hifiman HE6 headphones I purchased from Hifi Headphones back in 2014. I never really got on with them and they have sat in their box basically unused since then. i believe they are the 6 screw version based on what I read here. They have the original leather pads, a set of velour pads, the original balanced terminated cable and the original box. I also have the Hifiman branded speaker amp adaptor in its Hifiman box.

I understand these have become rather sought after over time, and I have decided to sell them and put the money toward buying something I will actually use. However, I have no real sense of what these are worth and how I should price them for sale on Head-Fi.

I live in the U.K. so an estimate in £ would be most helpful to me. And apart from value, what are the key things a purchaser/collector might want to know about these? I will be able to include photos to demonstrate these are about as close to being in ‘as new’ condition as I think you can get for headphones of this era.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. I won’t tell you the headphones I have actually been using all this time, as it would probably be a source of mirth among this company. I confess to being a basshead….

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #21,816 of 21,868
Would you mind sharing that grill design?

If anyone prefers the OG velour pads with their HE6 (like me) I highly recommend buying these pads from AliExpress:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr1EN5i

“Colour” # 4 (Angled Velour)

They look and feel exactly as the pads that comes with the earlier 4 screw (which is softer, larger inner hole and better sounding than those who comes with the 6 screw)

C3541341-9547-4A49-9E41-15B9517F0CDA.jpeg
On a risk of sounding dumb, but how are you guys ordering these? My order gets cancelled for security reasons every time. I do lose money from my card still and not getting them back. Seems not to be possible to make an order.

''Expired. We had to close this order due to account security concerns. Please place an order again later, or remove the coupon and try again.''
I have no coupon and I've tried quite a few times.
And you mean angled VELVET instead of angled VELOUR?

Dec 31, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #21,817 of 21,868
Picked up a RSA Dark Star for my OG 4 screw HE-6 yesterday and it brings them alive.
1000013062.jpg

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #21,818 of 21,868
After I had kept it away, I finally uncovered my early HE-6 yesterday. I had kept it safely away. So safe that I could not remember where I kept it. 🤭 If you see the swivel joint for the headphone, you will see it is pretty industrial. But it sings wonderfully. I actually have another pair of much later HE-6 as well, but I still really enjoy this pair.

The SAEQ Hyperion Ge drives it nicely at 6/24. Rich and lush. Enjoying some time with it today. :)

IMG_1952.jpeg

Jan 8, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #21,819 of 21,868
On a risk of sounding dumb, but how are you guys ordering these? My order gets cancelled for security reasons every time. I do lose money from my card still and not getting them back. Seems not to be possible to make an order.

''Expired. We had to close this order due to account security concerns. Please place an order again later, or remove the coupon and try again.''
I have no coupon and I've tried quite a few times.
And you mean angled VELVET instead of angled VELOUR?
Try now, it should be purchasable.

Feb 11, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #21,822 of 21,868
Disaster - in one of those moments which seemed to go in slow motion I got my foot round the cord and pulled them off the stand onto the floor

I presume the the silver wires need rejoining but where does the other wire with the black sleeve go ?

Attachments

• IMG_20240211_200343.jpg
    IMG_20240211_200343.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240211_200354.jpg
    IMG_20240211_200354.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 11, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #21,825 of 21,868
@dill3000 knows these very well, he modded all my OG Hifiman and also happens to build amps that make these sing, dance and slam without breaking a sweat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back