HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 8, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #21,601 of 21,868
May I ask for velour/suede/alcantara earpad recommendations to add body to the sound without decreasing soundstage size as much as possible ? Currently I have very old 3rd part velours from previous owner but inner foam is dried, hard which means not best comfortable.
One long term favorite I favor is the DCA Ether Angled. Great balance between bass/mids/treble. It turns out if the rear screen is removed or well more open than stock - the sound stage gets very wide.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #21,603 of 21,868
Don't make me DM you!

4 screw, pretty sure it's early edition, original drivers
broken but "fixed" headband
custom damping scheme with twaron "angel hair" fibers in front between a felt layer and nylon backing
hardwired with Norse cable (aka Norne before the name change)
replaced with open mesh at the back, but I still have the originals
very rare J$ pads
the original leather box & original cables

Y'know, just to throw temptation around :o2smile:

Nov 21, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #21,604 of 21,868
If anyone prefers the OG velour pads with their HE6 (like me) I highly recommend buying these pads from AliExpress:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr1EN5i

“Colour” # 4 (Angled Velour)

They look and feel exactly as the pads that comes with the earlier 4 screw (which is softer, larger inner hole and better sounding than those who comes with the 6 screw)

Hey huge thanks for recommending these. Probably a significant upgrade over the stock HiFiMan velour pads in terms of sound and comfort

Ended up getting two pairs, one for my HE-6 and one for my HE-500 -- both sound more dynamic compared to stock velour pads

Nov 22, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #21,605 of 21,868
Hey huge thanks for recommending these. Probably a significant upgrade over the stock HiFiMan velour pads in terms of sound and comfort

Ended up getting two pairs, one for my HE-6 and one for my HE-500 -- both sound more dynamic compared to stock velour pads
Bought 3 pairs for my HE6's myself. Those are the only pads I've found that don't change the sound profile of the OG velour pads, slightly increased soundstage maybe and better comfort. (my big ears don't touch the metal on the drivers)

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #21,606 of 21,868
Would you mind sharing that grill design?

If anyone prefers the OG velour pads with their HE6 (like me) I highly recommend buying these pads from AliExpress:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr1EN5i

“Colour” # 4 (Angled Velour)

They look and feel exactly as the pads that comes with the earlier 4 screw (which is softer, larger inner hole and better sounding than those who comes with the 6 screw)
Did you use double-sided tape to mount them on the earcup? Not much there on those earpads for the mounting rings to hold on.

Dec 8, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #21,608 of 21,868
Feb 3, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #21,610 of 21,868
Feb 3, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #21,614 of 21,868
Scooped an Open Box OG HE6 from hifiman direct for $540 yesterday. Can hardly believe it still. Psyched to finally meet the elusive legend :)
Sweet. If possible, can you take a picture of the driver? Either cup facing or rear facing would be fine.

Here's a pic of my driver (rear facing) from my modded, reshelled HE-6 (6S):

mBhHFlf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back