HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 5, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #21,196 of 21,868
The difficulty with painting anything is in blending the edges with the existing. The automotive paint pens aren't the easiest thing to control.

I've had moderate success with nail polish of all things. Also very handy for matching colours of various different headbands and cups.
But I'm Thinking aout painting the entire cups, not onli the scratches, to keep it uniform.

Jun 5, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #21,197 of 21,868
Mine's been going strong for years now, and the only issue I had with with the yoke holder, round thingy. The headband came off of that on one side, which is a common problem. I opened up the leather inside and found the mini-screw and screwed that sucker back into the round thingy. I was very disappointed and stressed when it came off, but I was so glad I could screw it back on.

I had sample problem, was able to screw back on. Next time if I have issue with headband will change for new one. Driver are still going strong, same magic every time I play them.

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #21,198 of 21,868
But I'm Thinking aout painting the entire cups, not onli the scratches, to keep it uniform.

Ah, well then you'll have to strip off all the old. At that point, it's just about keeping things clean, probably some light sanding between light coats. Maybe build yourself a small dust free box if you're doing sprays.

If you're doing a full disassembly, maybe consider switching out the smc connectors for mini xlr

Jun 6, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #21,199 of 21,868
Oh yeah, I'll take them to a good professional. I'll try to find the exact color. I was hoping to find it here, from someone whose already done it.
Changing this smc connector would be a nice thing, because it really suck every time i have to put and remove the cables, but since I already have some nice cables for my HE6, I'll maintain this as original.

Ah, well then you'll have to strip off all the old. At that point, it's just about keeping things clean, probably some light sanding between light coats. Maybe build yourself a small dust free box if you're doing sprays.

If you're doing a full disassembly, maybe consider switching out the smc connectors for mini xlr

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #21,200 of 21,868
Oh yeah, I'll take them to a good professional. I'll try to find the exact color. I was hoping to find it here, from someone whose already done it.
Changing this smc connector would be a nice thing, because it really suck every time i have to put and remove the cables, but since I already have some nice cables for my HE6, I'll maintain this as original.
I second putting on the mini 3 pin XLRs as that is really the only change I have made to my 4 screw HE-6. I had mine done by Robert at AphroditeCU29 back in 2010 and haven't had any issues. He did go with a pigtail rather than trying to mount them in the headphone.

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #21,201 of 21,868
I second putting on the mini 3 pin XLRs as that is really the only change I have made to my 4 screw HE-6. I had mine done by Robert at AphroditeCU29 back in 2010 and haven't had any issues. He did go with a pigtail rather than trying to mount them in the headphone.
Why does it have to mini-xlr? Why not 3.5mm? Or 2.5mm? Is mini-xlr more durable?

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #21,202 of 21,868
I guess it could be whatever but I like the mini XLRs as the connection just seems better. I did the same to my original HE500 and I can share the cable between the two plus several other headphones that are terminated in the mini XLRs.

Jun 6, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #21,203 of 21,868
I guess it could be whatever but I like the mini XLRs as the connection just seems better. I did the same to my original HE500 and I can share the cable between the two plus several other headphones that are terminated in the mini XLRs.
The benefit of 3.5mm is also being able to share among headphones using. 3.5mm like other Hifimans to Focals. I think they are more widely used.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #21,204 of 21,868
I recently come in contact with someone who's disassembled quite a handful of HE6 and SEs. He wishes to keep his identity private in fear of Fang murdering him in his sleep. Here are a few tidbits of information I've gathered from this guy:
Very interesting info here. Thanks for sharing! Svstem mentioned that a Hifiman rep told him that they no longer have the tooling to make the thicker diaphragms from HE-6/HE-500 days, just another piece of information suggesting that the drivers of the HE6se's are different from the OG HE-6's:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...iman_he6se_is_hardly_ever_considered/fwu2qoc/

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #21,205 of 21,868
The benefit of 3.5mm is also being able to share among headphones using. 3.5mm like other Hifimans to Focals. I think they are more widely used.

I've mentioned this in other places before, but I abhor trs connectors. Tiny mating surface on a flimsy jack, yuck. Mini-XLR is significantly better with a more robust mechanism and significantly higher contact area. Stick with the 4-pin version so it's compatible with Audeze and others.

Jun 6, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #21,206 of 21,868
I've mentioned this in other places before, but I abhor trs connectors. Tiny mating surface on a flimsy jack, yuck. Mini-XLR is significantly better with a more robust mechanism and significantly higher contact area. Stick with the 4-pin version so it's compatible with Audeze and others.
yeah, receiving end of the connection wear out over time.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #21,207 of 21,868
If anyone wants to part ways with a 4 Screw please get in touch :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 7, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #21,208 of 21,868
Jun 8, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #21,210 of 21,868
They're worth the most expensive GPU:gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back