HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 27, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #19,516 of 21,868
This sounds comparable to the FPB and EVO series which were Krell's high end reference models. Anything lower than that like the KAV don't come close.

Pretty sure mine is US made but I'll check when I get home.

In the other thread you mentioned MCA 2 vs the MCA 20 here. Are these two different models? What is the specific one you have?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/529873/amps-that-can-drive-the-hifiman-he-6-planar-headphones/4890#post_13114843

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #19,517 of 21,868
Dec 29, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #19,518 of 21,868

https://m.imgur.com/OVkZVoT?r
I saw this on a Norwegian hifi-site.

Is this for real? If it's fake, someone is trying to get HiFiMan into trouble. If it's true HiFiMan is making trouble for themselves. Don't know what to think...

Dec 29, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #19,519 of 21,868

https://m.imgur.com/OVkZVoT?r
I saw this on a Norwegian hifi-site.

Is this for real? If it's fake, someone is trying to get HiFiMan into trouble. If it's true HiFiMan is making trouble for themselves. Don't know what to think...

It wouldn't surprise me. I've reviewed lots of products here but have never been put under any pressure to post a 5 star review. I do think that the 5 star reviewers get invited to review more things and get to keep some pretty expensive gear too. We have to submit links to our reviews when we apply, so the ones that rave about rubbish are naturally the most likely to be part of the tours. Luckily I have an HE6 so Im not worried about freebies.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #19,520 of 21,868
Anyone looking to sell a pair of HE6 drop me a PM.
Will accept a modded pair.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #19,522 of 21,868
  Anyone looking to sell a pair of HE6 drop me a PM.
Will accept a modded pair.

Think there are two US based pairs for sale right now in the classifieds.  Also..........Grizzlybeast is a local to me and a great guy who had his up for sale last week and though it appears he took the ad down, he may still sell them. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #19,523 of 21,868

Think there are two US based pairs for sale right now in the classifieds.  Also..........Grizzlybeast is a local to me and a great guy who had his up for sale last week and though it appears he took the ad down, he may still sell them. 

Grizzly sold his already...

My HE6 cash is in Paypal limbo,which is why I couldnt pull the trigger on Grizzly's pair.....cash should be released tomorrow...got scammed by some jacklord claiming to have an HE6,and he didnt.

Theres a pair on Amazon,but its a bit steep and id rather buy from Head-Fi

The 3rd pair I havent seen.

Dec 30, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #19,524 of 21,868
I bought mine brand new from Upscale Audio last month.  I got tired of looking for one used that hadn't been modded or beat up.  They still have 1 more left on sale if anyone is in my boat.  Can't be too many more new, sealed boxed ones left.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #19,525 of 21,868
  I bought mine brand new from Upscale Audio last month.  I got tired of looking for one used that hadn't been modded or beat up.  They still have 1 more left on sale if anyone is in my boat.  Can't be too many more new, sealed boxed ones left.

Thank you for that...just bought the last one they had!

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #19,526 of 21,868
Quote:
  I think that guy is right, I found the Utopias continued to improve for at least a week, probably longer.
... I'm a HE6 fan, but mine aren't getting much ear time with the Utopia at hand.

My Utopias had a lingering rough edge in the treble that lasted quite a while. The initial 50 or so hours gets the Utopias 90% of the way there, but that treble issue lasted a LONG time. Another 200+ hours in my case for the top end to smooth out and the headphone to fully open up and do all it can do.

I am keeping my modded HE6 as my 'reserve' headphone in case anything unthinkable happens to the Utopias, but really it is an insurance policy only. The Utopia does almost everything noticeable better (IMHO). About the only area I will defer to the modded HE6 is in the bass. The HE6 will go lower and punch harder than the Utopia. I still think that the Utopia bass is 'better' (more detailed and accurate), but the HE6 certainly has more of it, if that is your thing.

Mids/vocals I give to the Utopia, rather easily.

The HE6 treble is not nice to my ears. Prone to go glassy or steely much too often. Utopia is simply better here.

As always YMMV, but I am going to say this - for me, the Utopia has made my modded HE6 irrelevant, except as a backup headphone in case of catastrophe.

I have previously owned LCD-X / HD800 / HD800S / Ether C / Ether Flow. Sold them all. Kept the modded HE6. Use the Utopia.

A brief note on my rig - driving the Utopia direct from an Uber DAC lifts its performance significantly in my experience. Due to its low efficiency this cannot be done with the HE6 (not with any DAC I know of). My modded HE6 was much more competitive with my Utopia when I was driving the Utopia from a V281. I still preferred the Utopia, but the gap was much narrower and that made me question the 4K investment in the Utopia. Then I tried my harness to direct drive the Utopia from the DAC - that rendered the modded HE6 irrelevant in an instant (for me). I no longer own a dedicated headamp. They simply get in the way and degrade the performance of the Utopia in my experience, as long as your DAC is up to the task of direct driving headphones (not all DACs support this - check with the manufacturer if unsure).

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #19,527 of 21,868
  Quote:

My Utopias had a lingering rough edge in the treble that lasted quite a while. The initial 50 or so hours gets the Utopias 90% of the way there, but that treble issue lasted a LONG time. Another 200+ hours in my case for the top end to smooth out and the headphone to fully open up and do all it can do.

I am keeping my modded HE6 as my 'reserve' headphone in case anything unthinkable happens to the Utopias, but really it is an insurance policy only. The Utopia does almost everything noticeable better (IMHO). About the only area I will defer to the modded HE6 is in the bass. The HE6 will go lower and punch harder than the Utopia. I still think that the Utopia bass is 'better' (more detailed and accurate), but the HE6 certainly has more of it, if that is your thing.

Mids/vocals I give to the Utopia, rather easily.

The HE6 treble is not nice to my ears. Prone to go glassy or steely much too often. Utopia is simply better here.

As always YMMV, but I am going to say this - for me, the Utopia has made my modded HE6 irrelevant, except as a backup headphone in case of catastrophe.

I have previously owned LCD-X / HD800 / HD800S / Ether C / Ether Flow. Sold them all. Kept the modded HE6. Use the Utopia.

A brief note on my rig - driving the Utopia direct from an Uber DAC lifts its performance significantly in my experience. Due to its low efficiency this cannot be done with the HE6 (not with any DAC I know of). My modded HE6 was much more competitive with my Utopia when I was driving the Utopia from a V281. I still preferred the Utopia, but the gap was much narrower and that made me question the 4K investment in the Utopia. Then I tried my harness to direct drive the Utopia from the DAC - that rendered the modded HE6 irrelevant in an instant (for me). I no longer own a dedicated headamp. They simply get in the way and degrade the performance of the Utopia in my experience, as long as your DAC is up to the task of direct driving headphones (not all DACs support this - check with the manufacturer if unsure).

If the Utopia had the same bass as the HE-6 Id be all over it too, but I didnt hear it. It's a very competent headphone, but my HE-6 is staying for the bass.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #19,528 of 21,868
Dec 31, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #19,529 of 21,868

If the Utopia had the same bass as the HE-6 Id be all over it too, but I didnt hear it. It's a very competent headphone, but my HE-6 is staying for the bass.

The bass of the modded HE6 is indeed spectacular. It can go lower than the Utopia and deliver a more visceral punch.

I find that the Utopia more than makes up for this in other areas where - for me - it beats the HE6 handily.

I am a big fan of the Utopia bass. I find it tighter and more accurate than the HE6, if not quite as deep or punchy, but I certainly understand why some prefer the HE6 for bass performance.

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #19,530 of 21,868
So which mod brings out that He-6 bass so well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back