HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 16, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #18,856 of 21,868
Uhhhhh..... wut

To be fair learning about power for the he6 has been a journey for the community. but by the time the ef6 came out we did know you needed speaker amps.

Schiit rag handles the he6 quite well. I would say its pretty expensive but tbh comparing it to the ef6, I'd pretty easily recommend the extra cost.

Sarcasm, my friend. That redditor is deaf or dumb.

Best setup I've heard it's mine especially with my new preamp. 2nd best is with an EAR 834 integrated.

Basically there are a lot of "best" possible setups but they require a lot of money. Also must remember that preamps play a large role in how good a system is too. That's something that it's usually completely overlooked.

Meant the uhhhh wut for the ef6. It didn't like it even with the he500s.

Someone also said the Burson soloist is a great match for the he6. Tbh theres a lot of claims of headphone amps driving the he6 to their "full potential " that leave me scratching my head.

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #18,857 of 21,868
Meant the uhhhh wut for the ef6. It didn't like it even with the he500s.

Someone also said the Burson soloist is a great match for the he6. Tbh theres a lot of claims of headphone amps driving the he6 to their "full potential " that leave me scratching my head.

Yeah, not even close...

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #18,858 of 21,868

Shirtless selfie man needs to obtain a pair of monoblocks that each weigh what he can curl. As your listening strength and glistening muscular strength improve, so too must your amps. It will be a neverending journey. Train well my friend.

There's a Chinese proverb in there somewhere.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #18,859 of 21,868
My balanced RudiStor RPX-100 certainly makes the HE-6 sound very very nice, but if that is "to the full potential" I have no idea.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #18,861 of 21,868
I want to buy a 4-pin xlr to speaker bananas adapter cable to connect the HE-6 headphones to my Leben CS300XS speaker terminals.

What resistors must i put in the adapter with the Leben?

The Leben CS300XS specificactions are:
Output Power 15w x2
Output Impedante 4/6/8 Ohms (Selectable)

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #18,862 of 21,868
  I want to buy a 4-pin xlr to speaker bananas adapter cable to connect the HE-6 headphones to my Leben CS300XS speaker terminals.

Output Power 15w x2

I would say no resistors would be needed.  Others might have different answers.

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #18,863 of 21,868

Output Power 15w x2

I am pretty sure you will need the resistors if using a tube amp but dont with solid state. I think its something to do with the impedence and load the tubes see. I know the Hifiman adapter uses them. You might try googling some images and seeing if you can match the colour codes on the resistors to get the same values Hifiman use in their adapter..

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #18,866 of 21,868
I am pretty sure you will need the resistors if using a tube amp but dont with solid state. I think its something to do with the impedence and load the tubes see. I know the Hifiman adapter uses them. You might try googling some images and seeing if you can match the colour codes on the resistors to get the same values Hifiman use in their adapter..

I also don't know what value resistors you need, but yes, you absolutely need them for a tube amp. It's the output transformers that can get cooked if you don't. If the tube amp is output transformerless (OTL) i was just reading that it works, but that it still might not be OK for the amp.

Solid state amps though, yeah, direct to taps, it's all good.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #18,867 of 21,868
Chord mojo
Liquid carbon
Bottlehead crack
Wooaudio WA7 fireflies
Garage 1217 Ember
Can any of those drive the HE6
Which one is best

None of them. Have you even read any of this thread? Go back 5 or 10 pages and you'll see several options mentioned. Please never ask "what is best" because there will never be an answer and frankly it's a bit insulting that you didn't even take the time to do your research. You appear to be young and hip to the ways of the internet; you should know this by now.

Here's my gift to you: Bryston 2B. Get one cheap off ebay and call it a day.

You may have thought I was joking with my previous reply, but really I wasn't.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #18,868 of 21,868

Chord mojo
Liquid carbon
Bottlehead crack
Wooaudio WA7 fireflies
Garage 1217 Ember
Which one is best

Amongst those listed, the liquid carbon is the best for the HE-6. It drives the HE-6 well as a headphone amp. However, any decent speaker amp trumps it, so you're better off getting a speaker amp. The HE-6 still sounds better than most  headphones even out of the Liquid Carbon but with speaker amps it's a different ball game. As suggested to you above, please go through the thread in detail and you'll find tons of recommendations for amps.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #18,869 of 21,868
Chord mojo
Liquid carbon
Bottlehead crack
Wooaudio WA7 fireflies
Garage 1217 Ember
Which one is best

You asked for the best then give us that joke of a list?!

Don't waste my time and your time. Buy a Bryston 2b off eBay.

ohG, how is your new passive preamp? The background is dead silent I guess.

New preamp is amazing. Super transparent and won't be a bottleneck for a long long time. It's also full function with remote.

My Tribute AVC will be going up for sale if anyone is interested.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #18,870 of 21,868
New preamp is amazing. Super transparent and won't be a bottleneck for a long long time. It's also full function with remote.

Holy schiit, you got one of those original Bent Audio TAPX pre-amps?? The Transformer Volume Control ones~~ I've been wanting one of them for years :'-(

So what you're telling me is they ARE as good as every single thing I've ever read about them has said? Oh nos... my audio induced grave is looking deeper day by day...

Production history:
Bent Audio -  TAPX
Music First Audio - TAP
Intact Audio - Slagleformer (AVC - Autoformer Volume Control)

So this Tribute AVC, is it a take on the Intact Audio Slagleformer? But you're saying they don't compare at all to the original TAPX? And have you ever heard one of the MFA TAPs? They're supposed to be a refined version of Bent Audio's original TAPX design, when MFA starting licensing Bent's idea and Bent used MFA's specially made S&B transformers for the autoformers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back