HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #15,589 of 21,868
The Audio-Head news article states the HE1000 to have a sensitivity of 90dB & 35 Ohm. Much more sensitive than the HE-6 apparently.

Jan 12, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #15,590 of 21,868

I feel like that would be a shame. If Dr. Fang is so smart, why doesn't he just use the right shape/materials for cups, use the right amount of wool or other damping stuff in the right places, etc? If this is a "statement" "flagship" headphone, why ship it in a state such that an hour of amateur modding can immensely improve it?  

There must be something about headphone production that I do not quite grasp.   

Analogy: If I buy a Miata, I might expect to want to mod it to make it better as a racing machine. But if I buy the top of the line Ferrari, I would expect it to already be as good as it could be. 

There are people still modding Ferrari's, there's no limit to performance on cars, you see better cars coming out every day and people still mod them. That's a very bad analogy if at all..

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #15,591 of 21,868
Modders will always try something to see if they can improve the performance. There is someone doing some kind of mod on just about every headphone including totl from other companies and even Stax headphones.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #15,592 of 21,868
The Audio-Head news article states the HE1000 to have a sensitivity of 90dB & 35 Ohm. Much more sensitive than the HE-6 apparently.

Dunno how much I trust those numbers, but in general Hifiman (and Audeze) has enhanced and further enhanced the thinness/material structure of the diaphragm membrane and tracings since the olden days of HE6. If they are able to impose similar tension and rigidity on these new diaphragms, then of course sensitivity is going to shoot up because there's less mass to move.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #15,593 of 21,868
LCD-3 alledgedly has a much thinner membrane than LCD-2 and the 3 is more sensitive than the 2. However, we will have to wait and see when HiFiMan officially states the values of the HE1000 ... and more importantly: it gets measured by InnerFidelity and others.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #15,594 of 21,868
  Modders will always try something to see if they can improve the performance. There is someone doing some kind of mod on just about every headphone including totl from other companies and even Stax headphones.

Haters gonna hate and modders gonna mod. 
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #15,596 of 21,868
Jan 12, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #15,597 of 21,868
Jan 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #15,598 of 21,868

Haters gonna hate and modders gonna mod. 
tongue.gif

Modded my HE6 and HD800 - love em both.  Struggled to feel the love for either prior to modding - now they are keepers.

Modding is one of the best aspects of this hobby - take a stock headphone and improve it to your tastes and preferences - great fun
regular_smile .gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #15,600 of 21,868
Man, after listening to it out of my vintage Onkyo TX-3000.  I'm a bit blown away, how different it sounds.  I find that it sounds much more dynamic than I've heard of it before.  This is just out of the headphone output.  First time I've tried a vintage receiver with it, and never thought about hooking it up to it.  

It's nothing like I've heard before.  Everything just sounds more natural and realistic.  Probably the best I've heard of the HE-6.  Heck, the best I've heard of any headphone.  I had no idea HE-6 could perform like this.  HE-6 is a fantastic headphone for sure.  It does indeed need sufficient power for it to shine.  Such a drastic difference from lack of power to more power.  I just realized my 2 channel Beta22 wasn't supplying it enough power, and had no idea it could sound like what I'm hearing now.  

I don't think I've heard anything quite like what I'm hearing now.  This is how music should sound!

Now I'm curious, what other receivers others tried here?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back