HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #15,031 of 21,868
  Yup, he uses a very very thin diaphragm creates very low distortion, but at the same time energy transfer to the ear is very low so it's very inefficient.  So there it is, why the design is the way it is.  

So now that there's actual video proof of Fang saying that the reason for inefficiency is strictly a sacrifice for "almost perfect frequency response," I hope people can stop arguing about this now. Clearly it's a design decision because the HE-6 is HifiMan's version of 'no compromise' design for utmost sound quality possible. Whether it's the defining characteristic of the headphone, a flaw, an advantage, who cares. Let's not argue over semantics. I think most in this thread would definitely agree though that if Hifiman was designing an HE-6 successor, and the time came for some 'compromise' decisions in sound quality vs. efficiency, none of us here would want Fang to compromise any of the sonic potential of the new flagship model for increased efficiency and lighter weight (something clearly considered when the 560s and 400i were designed). 

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #15,032 of 21,868
  I think most in this thread would definitely agree though that if Hifiman was designing an HE-6 successor, and the time came for some 'compromise' decisions in sound quality vs. efficiency, none of us here would want Fang to compromise any of the sonic potential of the new flagship model for increased efficiency and lighter weight (something clearly considered when the 560s and 400i were designed). 

+1 Good post.  Thus being a conscious decision made by Fang. Not a flaw.

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #15,033 of 21,868
  ... The HE-6 has gotten my spoiled with it's richness and soul.  It's hard to listen to headphones that are just to technical.  That's also why I've ordered the Eddie Current 445.  I want to see what the fuss is about...

preproman, have you been able to test the 445 with the HE-6 finally ?  Does the 4-45 has the 'juice' to drive the HE6 to it's best ? 

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #15,036 of 21,868
  I think most in this thread would definitely agree though that if Hifiman was designing an HE-6 successor, and the time came for some 'compromise' decisions in sound quality vs. efficiency, none of us here would want Fang to compromise any of the sonic potential of the new flagship model for increased efficiency and lighter weight (something clearly considered when the 560s and 400i were designed). 

I think this is my first post in this thread but I'm going to have to agree.  I auditioned the HE-500, HE-560, and HE-6 recently.  The HE-6 floored me with its sound quality and presentation.  My favorite planar, and I like it more than any dynamic headphone I've tried too.  If they had to make such a compromise for a successor, they should go with sound quality once again.  The HE-6 is flagship for a reason!  It would be cool if it had the same external design (suspended headband) as the HE-560/400i though.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #15,039 of 21,868
On many a Saturday night, I would proudly proclaim "Time now...for AFROBEAT!" Get inside the listening room and make it do what it do, baby. After reading this thread, I'm simply intent on breaking my silence. This is a most wonderful thread. I felt this way prior to my ownership of the HiFiMAN HE-6.

smiley_thumb.gif
 I have witnessed the dissenting drive-by's inside this thread and elsewhere on HF, both past and present. It's one thing to attack a member's position, but
wink_face.gif
 there is NO need to personally attack anyone, as witnessed on pages 1002-1003. A few of us resident owners have fun playfully bantering about the cans. "Hard to drive and sound great? M-o-a-r please!" One thing that I have found on both HF and IRL is many simply do not want to put in the work to see what the HE-6 holds as promise. What separates a few us here is we're less concerned with plug & play and actually excited about our pursuit of excellence for the cans. 

I have also enjoyed a few of Dr. Fan Bian's interviews including the one posted from Audio Advisor in months prior. In his own words, he's long felt that the big '6' needs very powerful amplification for the cans to get rite.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #15,040 of 21,868
  On many a Saturday night, I would proudly proclaim "Time now...for AFROBEAT!" Get inside the listening room and make it do what it do, baby. After reading this thread, I'm simply intent on breaking my silence. This is a most wonderful thread. I felt this way prior to my ownership of the HiFiMAN HE-6.

smiley_thumb.gif
 I have witnessed the dissenting drive-by's inside this thread and elsewhere on HF, both past and present. It's one thing to attack a member's position, but
wink_face.gif
 there is NO need to personally attack anyone, as witnessed on pages 1002-1003. A few of us resident owners have fun playfully bantering about the cans. "Hard to drive and sound great? M-o-a-r please!" One thing that I have found on both HF and IRL is many simply do not want to put in the work to see what the HE-6 holds as promise. What separates a few us here is we're less concerned with plug & play and actually excited about our pursuit of excellence for the cans. 

I have also enjoyed a few of Dr. Fan Bian's interviews including the one posted from Audio Advisor in months prior. In his own words, he's long felt that the big '6' needs very powerful amplification for the cans to get rite.

A well driven, modded HE6 is a wonderful thing.

My LCD-X and HD800, as good as they are, can't touch it.

Makes me wonder how it compares with the BHSE/SR009 combo - the Holy Grail of HeadFi
smile_phones.gif

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #15,042 of 21,868

A well driven, modded HE6 is a wonderful thing.

My LCD-X and HD800, as good as they are, can't touch it.

Makes me wonder how it compares with the BHSE/SR009 combo - the Holy Grail of HeadFi
smile_phones.gif

So far the only thing that beats it to my mind (leaving the SR009 aside which I seldom use to keep in it a good condition) is the HD800 + 445 combo. That is really quite something to behold. It improves on the WA5 in terms of the visceral "feel" but that still is bested by the HE-6 driven by either the 445 or WA5.

I can't imagine how the HE-6 will sound on a "real" speaker amp....

Oct 5, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #15,043 of 21,868

preproman, have you been able to test the 445 with the HE-6 finally ?  Does the 4-45 has the 'juice' to drive the HE6 to it's best ? 

+1 

I'd like to know how driving the HE-6 with the 445 compares to speaker amps.

Oct 5, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #15,044 of 21,868

So far the only thing that beats it to my mind (leaving the SR009 aside which I seldom use to keep in it a good condition) is the HD800 + 445 combo. That is really quite something to behold. It improves on the WA5 in terms of the visceral "feel" but that still is bested by the HE-6 driven by either the 445 or WA5.

But you said the HE-6 or was it the HD800 sound a bit thin on the 445.  I can't do thin, that's why I like the HE-6as much as I do - because it's not skinny so to speak or it has meat on it bones or it's full.  

I'm trying my damnest to get the HD800 to sound full as well.  Lets see what the 445 and a few different tubes can do.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #15,045 of 21,868

No need to imagine. Take the he-6 to an audio store and try out some things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back