HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 24, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #14,821 of 21,868

For the most part, yes. Most dynamics have high enough sensitivities that a typical speaker amp will sound noisy unless you're slapping tons of attenuation on it. The HE-6 is simply inefficient enough that we just don't hear the noise on most amps.

On the matter of noise, I found the following very strange: I was listening to the HE6 through speaker taps on my receiver. After 30-40 minutes of listening, I started to hear noise which was intermittent. I shut down my Amarra player and there was still noise. After 2-3 minutes, I turned off my AC and the noise vanished.

Could it be possible that the AC was the source of the noise? I'm not sure that this thread is appropriate but this happens every time with the HE 6.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #14,822 of 21,868

So, occasionally I wonder how to improve things with this HE-Adapter in the mix...

Then drop a 24ohm resistor in parallel across the output. The effective load of the HE-6 paralleled with the 24ohm resistors will be 16.2ohms.

Thanks for taking the time to eval my specs. Your effort is in the true spirit of this hobby. To be clear and not melt my amps, I'm to place a 24 Ohm resistor in parallel across each +/- (L) & (R) on the amp, and use the HE-Adapter as well, correct?

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #14,823 of 21,868
If you place the 24 ohm resistor in parallel, you don't need the box. The amp sees what it wants to see with the resistance the headphones and the parallel resistor provide. The series resistor is to increase the load so that you don't take out your headphones with excess power. If you are good with the volume knob and there is no noise, you don't need the series resistor unless you are running hundreds of watts. IMO, series resistors will have an impact on the headphone's sound as it's in the signal path.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #14,824 of 21,868
If you place the 24 ohm resistor in parallel, you don't need the box. The amp sees what it wants to see with the resistance the headphones and the parallel resistor provide. The series resistor is to increase the load so that you don't take out your headphones with excess power. If you are good with the volume knob and there is no noise, you don't need the series resistor unless you are running hundreds of watts. IMO, series resistors will have an impact on the headphone's sound as it's in the signal path.

By parallel:

___A   M   P___
  Left Channel             Right Channel
 + 24 Ohm -                + 24 Ohm -

???

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #14,825 of 21,868
Hi All,

Wanted to check in and say I thought the focuspads would be approximately as good as the vegans so it took me awhile to check out the vegans, even after hearing them at the meet. Heed ohhgourami's advice. Right now I'm up to no grills, no grills, soft (not stiff) felt, and vegans -- this is an entirely better headphone vs. stock. Incredible. Still not sure if it's my choice in the long term but this isn't even recabled yet..

EDIT: I realize this isn't super useful information. I found there was little to no separation on my integrated Denon with the focus pads but there's a lot with the vegan somehow, also it seems like the nasty 5k/upper voice region being chopped off is remedied.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #14,826 of 21,868
  By parallel:

___A   M   P___

???

Yes, just like this pic, but instead of 10 Ohms, use 24 Ohms. If you are looking for "audiophile grade" (
L3000.gif
) resistors, read this HiFi Critic article on it by Martin Colloms https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/11367236/resistors-vol5-no-3-hificritic-hi-res-duelund-coherent-audio

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #14,827 of 21,868

By parallel:

___A   M   P___

???

Yes, just like this pic, but instead of 10 Ohms, use 24 Ohms. If you are looking for "audiophile grade" (
L3000.gif
) resistors, read this HiFi Critic article on it by Martin Colloms https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/11367236/resistors-vol5-no-3-hificritic-hi-res-duelund-coherent-audio

beerchug.gif

If you recall, I took one for the team back in Fev/Mar and tried using Auto-formers. Did not like the sonic presentation returned by the GIANT donuts. Wasn't extreme but noticeably moved away from what I wanted. @ $600 I quickly got my money back! 

Lastly, "24 Ohms" but how many Watts? Thanks! Can't wait to compare the sonic presentation between this and the box.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #14,828 of 21,868

beerchug.gif

If you recall, I took one for the team back in Fev/Mar and tried using Auto-formers. Did not like the sonic presentation returned by the GIANT donuts. Wasn't extreme but noticeably moved away from what I wanted. @ $600 I quickly got my money back! 

Lastly, "24 Ohms" but how many Watts? Thanks! Can't wait to compare the sonic presentation between this and the box.

5 watts, it has lower inductance and cheaper by a buck, but they don't have 24Ohms so just use 22.

http://www.soniccraft.com/mills_resistors.htm

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #14,829 of 21,868

beerchug.gif

Please take one for the team again & order the Duelund Cast resistors.
biggrin.gif
  Based on your results I will follow suit.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/resistors_duelund_cast.html

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #14,833 of 21,868

Here's the parallel resistor calculator, R1 = 22, R2 = 61 (your HE-6), its 16.17 Ohms.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm

All of this discussion has been informative and got me thinking of my own situation. I have a JVC integrated receiver putting out 120x at 8 ohms. I have two sets of stereo speaker connections. In one set, I have my NHT Tower speakers and in the other I have banana plugs that are inserted into the speaker taps. I use the second one to connect the HE 6. I asked my electrician friend about connecting resistors in parallel to the second set (the HE 6 connection) and he said there was no need as the NHT's remained connected and hence there was always a load on the 1st set.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #14,834 of 21,868
  All of this discussion has been informative and got me thinking of my own situation. I have a JVC integrated receiver putting out 120x at 8 ohms. I have two sets of stereo speaker connections. In one set, I have my NHT Tower speakers and in the other I have banana plugs that are inserted into the speaker taps. I use the second one to connect the HE 6. I asked my electrician friend about connecting resistors in parallel to the second set (the HE 6 connection) and he said there was no need as the NHT's remained connected and hence there was always a load on the 1st set.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Is this a tube or SS amp?  How do you select which set to use?

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #14,835 of 21,868

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I guess I am missing something. If they are connected to the amp they are making noise, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back