HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 9, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #14,611 of 21,868

I have some nice tubes on the way for the WA5: EML 274B / SP 274B / SP 300B. Might go the Sophia Royal Princess eventually. Not sure about driver tubes yet.

It took me about 30 minutes to do the 'Fuzzor Lite' mod - it's easy and quick.

The best driver tubes bar none are the Tungsol 6SN7GT Black Glass Round Plates. I think they make a bigger difference on sound than the power tubes (though I've splurged a fortune on those). 

Stiff sticky backed felt from Amazon. Cheap and easy to work with.

Might sound stupid, but are there any links to the Fuzzor lite mod? Much appreciated! 

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #14,612 of 21,868

The best driver tubes bar none are the Tungsol 6SN7GT Black Glass Round Plates. I think they make a bigger difference on sound than the power tubes (though I've splurged a fortune on those). 

Might sound stupid, but are there any links to the Fuzzor lite mod? Much appreciated! 

I am still feeling my way in the dark and murky world of NOS 6SN7 driver tubes...
cool.gif

I posted some pics of my HE6 mod and some hints earlier in this thread. It's an 'unofficial' mod, as far as I know. Link

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #14,613 of 21,868
Thanks! What are you using to drive the HE6s now?

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #14,616 of 21,868
New flash!

My HE-6 rig and another friend's HD800 rig beat out an SR-009 with a BHSE! 009 is the faster headphone, but does not have the same bite when it comes to guitars. 009 is also very etchy on a lot of recordings.

I truly do not believe that Hifiman and Sennheiser expected the drivers to have this much potential when they were initially designed.

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #14,617 of 21,868
  My HE-6 rig and another friend's HD800 rig beat out an SR-009 with a BHSE! 009 is the faster headphone, but does not have the same bite when it comes to guitars. 009 is also very etchy on a lot of recordings.

Nice one! My modded HE-6 impresses the hell out of me. Good to know it play with the biggest boys on the block and open a can of whup-ass
beerchug.gif

Do you recall any details of your friend's HD800 rig? DAC? Amp?

Aug 10, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #14,618 of 21,868
  New flash!

I truly do not believe that Hifiman and Sennheiser expected the drivers to have this much potential when they were initially designed.

I doubt that the HD800 could ever beat SR009 apart from soundstage. The SR009 is an improved version of the HD800.

The HE6 puts up a very good fight against the SR009. The SR009 is the pair of cans I use for background / easy listening as it is feathery and effortless. HE6 is for the punch and excitement. Both are excellent but very very different. Solution: get both :pP

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #14,620 of 21,868

Nice one! My modded HE-6 impresses the hell out of me. Good to know it play with the biggest boys on the block and open a can of whup-ass
beerchug.gif

Do you recall any details of your friend's HD800 rig? DAC? Amp?

HD800 with Anax mod 2.5 with Eddie Current Leviathan through Audio-gd Master-7 with OR5 (dedicated PSU+options) and a Wyrd. (It was a combination of Purrin's and Anax's gear).

I doubt that the HD800 could ever beat SR009 apart from soundstage. The SR009 is an improved version of the HD800.

The HE6 puts up a very good fight against the SR009. The SR009 is the pair of cans I use for background / easy listening as it is feathery and effortless. HE6 is for the punch and excitement. Both are excellent but very very different. Solution: get both :pP

The feathery-ness is exactly whats wrong with the 009. The etchy brightness doesn't help its cause either. Something about it can't trick me that what I'm listening to is real.

I heard the set up and I definitely give the nod to the SR-009, sorry ohhgourami. The HD800's sounded very very good and coherent but the SR-009 had an incredible tactility without any heaviness..

SR-009 can't trick me. Also fatiguing to listen for long periods of time. The imaging and depth is not there either.

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #14,621 of 21,868

HD800 with Anax mod 2.5 with Eddie Current Leviathan through Audio-gd Master-7 with OR5 (dedicated PSU+options) and a Wyrd. (It was a combination of Purrin's and Anax's gear).

The feathery-ness is exactly whats wrong with the 009. The etchy brightness doesn't help its cause either. Something about it can't trick me that what I'm listening to is real.

SR-009 can't trick me. Also fatiguing to listen for long periods of time. The imaging and depth is not there either.

I think you will have to live with the SR009 for a while to appreciate it. I was let down the first time it arrived too, thinking "where did the $4000 go?" Yet, while I was impressed by the HD800 at the start and in fact have lived with it for a long time, I can't really bear to listen to it nowadays. That being said, I hope to buy some EC gear some day... just to see how far the HD800 can go. I know the limits of the WA5.

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #14,623 of 21,868
  New flash!

This is funny. This is the weekend where quire a few folks are comparing the HE 6, the HD 800 and the SR 009. Several thousand miles away, I am doing the same thing. HE 6 (grill mod only) with my JVC receiver, 800 with the BH Crack with Speedball, and the SR 009 with the KGSShv.

When it comes to a meaty, wanna toss my head and stomp my foot playing the air guitar response, the HE 6 is the winner. Oooh, that bass ! But with the smallest soundstage of the 3 HPs. The SR 009 is effortless and ethereal and one relaxes into the music without missing any detail. The HD 800 had the biggest soundstage (surprise 
rolleyes.gif
) but this is where I noticed the (in)famous treble issue with it. Not an irritant but definitely noticeable. My 800 is unmodded so..... my 3 cents!

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #14,624 of 21,868
  Why do you dislike the HD800 now? It was my first time hearing both headphones and I placed the Stax above the HD800 immediately. Wasn't just on the hype train either, I didn't dig the Abyss as much.

HD800s (unmodded) are etched, sibilant and never draw you into the music. They render voices unnaturally even with pure copper cables. If I want detail I get the SR009. If I want realistic tone and timbre I get the SR009. If I want transient speed I get the SR009. If I want musicality I get either the SR009 (and tube amps + tube DAC) or the HE6. If I want punch or meat or air guitar inducing fun I grab the HE6. Unless I am a soundstage addict, why would I reach for the HD800 at all?

I note that when I had the SAA Endorphin I used the HD800 a bit more than now. But the cable had died on me weeks ago. 

Of course, we can go on to talk about how my amp is not a good pairing with the HD800, how I have not done the Anax mod or how my cables are not fit for the HD800. I am happy if some one funds me to buy the top end EC amp, to re-cable my HD800 and do the Anax mod for me. At the end of the day, I am only answering a factual question, why is the HD800 falling into disuse and why I can't bear listening to it now.

This is funny. This is the weekend where quire a few folks are comparing the HE 6, the HD 800 and the SR 009. Several thousand miles away, I am doing the same thing. HE 6 (grill mod only) with my JVC receiver, 800 with the BH Crack with Speedball, and the SR 009 with the KGSShv.

When it comes to a meaty, wanna toss my head and stomp my foot playing the air guitar response, the HE 6 is the winner. Oooh, that bass ! But with the smallest soundstage of the 3 HPs. The SR 009 is effortless and ethereal and one relaxes into the music without missing any detail. The HD 800 had the biggest soundstage (surprise 
rolleyes.gif
) but this is where I noticed the (in)famous treble issue with it. Not an irritant but definitely noticeable. My 800 is unmodded so..... my 3 cents!

And I am doing the comparison now (albeit with "only" the WA5) with my own rig :) Agreed with your observations. Might be time to try the Anax mod!

Aug 10, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #14,625 of 21,868
  New flash!

beerchug.gif

I simply could not attend this time around but was there in spirit for you and warrenpchi. I long to catch you at a mini-meet. Clemmaster knows he owes us a visit up here! 
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back