HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 7, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #14,584 of 21,868
  After the 560 and the 400i that replace the 500 and the 400 (from what I understand),  can we expect a new version of the HE6 ?

thanks

No - that can't happen - I have not finished modding my current HE6!!
dt880smile.png

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #14,585 of 21,868
  Got rear ended today. Nothing broken, but my neck and back are a little messed up. How's that relevant to this thread? The weight of my HE-6 is now too much for my neck to bear
frown.gif

Ouch!  Get well, soon, sir!

Maybe what you need is some He balloons, a la "UP"....   

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #14,586 of 21,868
I've got my Vegan pads so it is time to start the fuzzor mod on my HE-6. I assume you remove the quarter piece of foam that covers 9 to noon on the left driver and noon to 3 on the right driver. It appears to be glued down.

The HE-500s did not have this piece of black foam in the mod guide.

I assume you do not mod around this piece of foam.

Thanks,

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #14,587 of 21,868
I've got my Vegan pads so it is time to start the fuzzor mod on my HE-6. I assume you remove the quarter piece of foam that covers 9 to noon on the left driver and noon to 3 on the right driver. It appears to be glued down.

The HE-500s did not have this piece of black foam in the mod guide.

I assume you do not mod around this piece of foam.

Thanks,

Yes, remove it for the fuzzor mod.

Do you intend to do the regrilling, too?

Fuzzor mod + Vegan pads only is too mushy, IMO.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #14,588 of 21,868
Yes, remove it for the fuzzor mod.

Do you intend to do the regrilling, too?

Fuzzor mod + Vegan pads only is too mushy, IMO.

I have already done the re-grilling mod. ohhgourami has made it clear that all 3 mods must be done to balance the HE-6. I've gone this far so no time to stop now.

Thanks for the response Clemmaster.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #14,589 of 21,868
My mods are now complete - and I am THRILLED with the sound from my HE6.

I found that the "Full Fuzzor" mod was not necessary to tame the treble - I added felt strips only to the inner areas, as shown below:

This is quick and easy to do, and does the job nicely. It is easy enough to come back and add more felt to the outer area if that is necessary - for me it wasn't. YMMV.

Width is spot on 3.5mm for the strips. Using this width matches the target area perfectly. I did not see any need to smooth over the felt edges as there is little, if any, overlap.

Grills? - We don't need no steenken grills!!
wink_face.gif

I am not going to replace the grills - you don't get more open than nothing at all. Downside is that the connecting cables are exposed. As long as I handle the headphone with care I don't see a problem. I have no children or cats - either might make this option a non-starter.

Finished headphone shown below.

Mods are:
  1. Vegan Audeze pads
  2. ALO Ref 8 cable
  3. Seat belt pad on headband
  4. Grills and cotton wadding removed
  5. "Fuzzor Lite" installed, as pictured above

Compared to stock, both the comfort and SQ are much improved. I am still getting my head around the 'new' HE6 sound, but the more I hear it the more I like it.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #14,591 of 21,868
Another happy member of the fully modded HE-6 (Fuzzor, Open Grill, Vegan Pads).  The Vegans pads are really comfortable but they add a little clamping pressure due to my extra large head and the extra width of the pads.
I love the sound.  All of the mods work really well together but that's been said many times.

I think a repaint might be next.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #14,592 of 21,868
Another happy member of the fully modded HE-6 (Fuzzor, Open Grill, Vegan Pads).  The Vegans pads are really comfortable but they add a little clamping pressure due to my extra large head and the extra width of the pads.
I love the sound.  All of the mods work really well together but that's been said many times.

I think a repaint might be next.
Cable..........:veryevil:

Aug 9, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #14,595 of 21,868
  Oh, I forgot to tell you: I can't come tomorrow 
frown.gif

HAHAHA! That look on your face was priceless!
evil_smiley.gif

LOL!

I completely forgot I had a friend coming up from San Diego! Too bad that group of friends don't have two schiits about audio. I'll probably end up staying til 3 at most.

Anyway, you lucked out on helping me carry gear!
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back