HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 1, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #14,386 of 21,868
Hopefully people will chime in beyond this but my experience has been with a HE-adapter that was modified by another HeadFier with a 10ohm Mills and a 27ohm Takman. It's my understanding that the big ones are the 10 ohm and the small ones are the 25ohm by default. Somehow (and here's where it gets beyond my knowledge) the 10 and 27 ohm resistors make a circuit and I think create a resistance lower than 10 ohms? That I'm not sure about.

I would imagine if you want to make it bare you would just take the resistors out and solder the wire each input to each output. I've heard that having better resistors in there allows it to not degrade the SQ and that the stock resistors do degrade the SQ, but I have never tried the stock ones.

Aug 1, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #14,389 of 21,868
Still to come...new headphone stand for the HE-6 means new pix! And apparently a new charge 
frown.gif
 just discovered the Batt inside the Nikon is dead. Will get those shots uploaded tonight.

Aug 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #14,390 of 21,868
What stand did you get?

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #14,392 of 21,868
Hopefully people will chime in beyond this but my experience has been with a HE-adapter that was modified by another HeadFier with a 10ohm Mills and a 27ohm Takman. It's my understanding that the big ones are the 10 ohm and the small ones are the 25ohm by default. Somehow (and here's where it gets beyond my knowledge) the 10 and 27 ohm resistors make a circuit and I think create a resistance lower than 10 ohms? That I'm not sure about.

I would imagine if you want to make it bare you would just take the resistors out and solder the wire each input to each output. I've heard that having better resistors in there allows it to not degrade the SQ and that the stock resistors do degrade the SQ, but I have never tried the stock ones.

Any idea what the purpose is of the fat one connecting the positive and negative together?I'm no electrician but can't see why it's part of the circuit there. I can understand the small one inline on the positive leg.

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #14,393 of 21,868

Comparing the Headphone out vs the HE adapter box from HFM, I had a thought that I was not disciplined the first go round and wasn't sure if the volume matching was done right.  Glad I re-did the exercise.

The volume needed using the headphone out was considerably higher than out of the HE adapter box.  To the point I could not run both speakers and the HE-6 on my head as the speaker volume was shaking the walls.  Then with the HE adapter box it required just a little more volume to reach the "usual and customary" listening volume.  Which leads me to a question about the HE box. 

Has anyone bypassed the stock resistors in it?  Look at the pic - there are small resistors inline on the positive leads as well as one very large resistor across the + and - posts on both left and right.  What are they for (the big ones)?  I know robrob (something like that) made changes to the resistors but didn't bypass them. 

I'm getting at how to modify the HE adapter box to bypass the resistors and make it a "direct/naked speaker tap box" but do you guys think the sound quality changes that much with the resistors in the path?  Is it worth it? 

Thanks for any input. 

Follow thread from this post, http://www.head-fi.org/t/493214/hifiman-he-6-planar-magnetic-headphone/11760#post_10254465

Earlier I had modified HE adapter box for 10 ohm and 2 ohm in series across the speaker terminals, result was very good, no change in SQ and also I got lot of attenuation.

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #14,394 of 21,868
@Oregonian I'm not sure but I think it creates the desired amount of resistance when in series with the 25ohm ones.

Also I'm pretty sure it works as a fuse (I think that's the right word). I put too much current in by accident and it protected the 27 ohm resistors and I think would have protected the headphones to some extent too if they had been plugged in (they weren't).

Again this is just what I've been able to scrape together.

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #14,395 of 21,868
Just curious, why draug2 over vanquish? I have been emailing Trevor about options. Thx

To summarize:
Draug v2
1)  8x24awg (equivalent of 4x21awg)
2) pure occ litz cu
3) TRi multi conductor

4) Central core per each of the 24 wires

Vanquish
1)  4x24awg
2) pure occ litz cu (3 bundles), pure occ litz ag coated cu (3 bundles) fusion
3) custom modified type 6 with 7 total cores in each individual 24 awg conductor (max dampening per conductor)

So, effectively a higher gauge cable.  A bit larger in overall size but retains excellent flexibility.  Extremely low microphonics ( I HATE microphonics! )

"Sonically with both cables it is very difficult to find any kind of downside, so from that perspective they are both very similar.
Both cables are extremely non fatiguing and natural while providing maximum detail."  -Trevor

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #14,396 of 21,868
Any idea what the purpose is of the fat one connecting the positive and negative together?I'm no electrician but can't see why it's part of the circuit there. I can understand the small one inline on the positive leg.

The "fat one from + to - " provides a load to the amp.  Nothing more.
The series resistor in combination with the impedance of your headphone is what creates the attenuation.

If you want to modify the HFM box to bypass the resistors, why don't you just go straight to the speaker taps and completely remove the HFM box from the picture?

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #14,397 of 21,868
Anyone here using a speaker tube amp on their HE-6 that hums? Mine has been humming for quite some time now but tonight no hum, zilch, nada. I didn't change anything, its plugged in the same ac outlet. It was this quiet when I first got this amp, no hum.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #14,398 of 21,868
  @preproman 
What do you think of the new pads?

Hey Craig...

Well, I'm not that big of a pad-fi guy, but here it does..

Looks = FocusPads, FocusA Pads.

Comfort = Vegan Pads no doubt.

Sound = So far it's a toss up with the Vegan Pads ahead by a nose.

I'll most likely keep all of them.  So things may sort itself out more later.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #14,399 of 21,868
  Anyone here using a speaker tube amp on their HE-6 that hums? Mine has been humming for quite some time now but tonight no hum, zilch, nada. I didn't change anything, its plugged in the same ac outlet. It was this quiet when I first got this amp, no hum.

My speaker tube amps with the HE-6 are "Star grounded" and dead quiet (Shindo Laboratory Sinhonia monaural amps). Hum, ground loops and stuff can appear at anytime.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #14,400 of 21,868
  The "fat one from + to - " provides a load to the amp.  Nothing more.
The series resistor in combination with the impedance of your headphone is what creates the attenuation.

If you want to modify the HFM box to bypass the resistors, why don't you just go straight to the speaker taps and completely remove the HFM box from the picture?

oops. thanks for clearing that up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back