HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 26, 2014 at 6:11 AM Post #13,652 of 21,868
  Gents,

What is the proper method of hooking/using a speaker tap setup to minimize any potential of damage to the HE-6?  I envision leaving the speaker tap setup in place, UNPLUG the headphone from the speaker tap setup, turn on system, zero out the volume dial, then plug headphone in, start music and gradually turn up volume. 

Close? 

On start-up, the power-on sequence I use is from source to amp; on power-off, from amp to source. I make sure the volume is zeroed out before I turn anything on and before I turn anything off. If I think there is any risk of a power-on surge from the amp, I also make sure the headphone is unplugged before I turn on the amp. Additionally, if I am trying an amp for the first time, I assume there will be a surge of some sort, make sure the headphone is unplugged before turning on the amp, and also use a cheap headphone to test whole the signal chain. If I am in a location where the utility power is noisy or unreliable, I will also consider conditioning and regulating it for line noise, surges, brownouts and overvoltages.

May 26, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #13,655 of 21,868
so how would you describe the sound? 

To me they have probably 90-95 percent of the warmth of a very good tube amplifier but 100% solid state. They are Class A biased so all 70 wpc are Class A into 8 ohm or 140 wpc into 4 ohm. I use them to drive the mid / treble of my Legacy Audio Aeris. I have had them for 12-15 years and have not been tempted since to upgrade. I had Wilson Shen, the designer, update them a couple years back.

I do not think they have ever been marketed very well plus in this day, they do not have the audiophile jewelry appearance, much more functional, which is fine for me.

May 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #13,656 of 21,868
I think my Sansui automatically goes into protection mode for 5 seconds thereabouts before it switches on...I like it!

The Spec amp does the same. I'd still probably do the unplug thing every startup as I've read one too many HE-6 blown driver comments. No reason to take the risk.

May 26, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #13,657 of 21,868
One must also be careful when plugging it in when the amp is already powered up. Depending on the volume setting it can blow the drivers too.

The worst that happened to me was my amp was powered up when I upgraded my source to the latest firmware then did a factory reset. I forgot that the factory reset sets the digital volume to max. So when I played the first song, 60 tube watts @ 8 ohms had to be dissipated by the HE-6. What saved it was the 10ohm resistors in parallel that absorbed most of the power.

May 26, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #13,658 of 21,868
If you look at the female XLR, you will see that pin 1 is shallower than the other pins. Its because it is recommended to be ground. It makes contact first/last when connecting/disconnecting the male connector for safety. So one can use two 3-pin xlr connectors for left and right channels.

May 27, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #13,659 of 21,868
To me they have probably 90-95 percent of the warmth of a very good tube amplifier but 100% solid state. They are Class A biased so all 70 wpc are Class A into 8 ohm or 140 wpc into 4 ohm. I use them to drive the mid / treble of my Legacy Audio Aeris. I have had them for 12-15 years and have not been tempted since to upgrade. I had Wilson Shen, the designer, update them a couple years back.

I do not think they have ever been marketed very well plus in this day, they do not have the audiophile jewelry appearance, much more functional, which is fine for me.

Thanks! the tube/SS sound quality is what intrigues. I am really not that interested in looks, if sound reproduction is great! A new S40 costs what some First Watts cost, but packs more power. I am really intrigued by these amps. 

May 29, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #13,660 of 21,868
Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought that there was a chance you could short your gear if you plug in your headphones when the amp is powered up? Does turning the volume to zero mitigate this?

May 29, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #13,661 of 21,868
Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought that there was a chance you could short your gear if you plug in your headphones when the amp is powered up? Does turning the volume to zero mitigate this?

Depends on your connector. TRS can/will short on connection. XLR is much safer. Can't short the channels together, or short a channel to ground.

May 29, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #13,663 of 21,868
May 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #13,665 of 21,868
IT'S HERE!!!
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Although pulled my back taking the damn thing out of my car. Let's lug this baby upstairs now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back