HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 11, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #13,501 of 21,868

Now for the next problem:  explaining to my wife that there's an additional small piece of kit on its way.

The good thing about buying used equipment / NOS tubes you can always play down the purchase vs buying something brand new :
"Oh.. this old used thing, I got it really cheap for about $ 100 "
wink.gif

lol...like having whisky in beer bottle.... when wife is around.

May 11, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #13,502 of 21,868
Well, she doesn't begrudge me a good malt once in a while and she doesn't care about the money either (guess she figures that my toys work out cheaper than a mistress, all things considered.  Not that I'd bother, don't need the stress and I'd rather spend what little free time I have listening to music and reading a good book)  but space otoh is something she cares very much about and she watches me like the proverbial hawk.  But hey, she's got her exercise room and I'm not complaining about the home cinema system that I never watch either.

May 11, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #13,503 of 21,868
Well, she doesn't begrudge me a good malt once in a while and she doesn't care about the money either (guess she figures that my toys work out cheaper than a mistress, all things considered.  Not that I'd bother, don't need the stress and I'd rather spend what little free time I have listening to music and reading a good book)  but space otoh is something she cares very much about and she watches me like the proverbial hawk.  But hey, she's got her exercise room and I'm not complaining about the home cinema system that I never watch either.

Come on now, you got it from your best friend in Chennai :smile:

May 11, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #13,504 of 21,868
I had been using Sansui AU-X11, the 1982  flagship with 180w into 8 ohms and 270?w into 4 ohms. These vintage amps got praised a lot in audiokarma and here, even for the purpose of driving HE-6. In my opinion, these are old technologies. Sansui die hard fans boast the quality transformers used . Actually compared with my Audio GD 10SE, AU-X11 projected a bigger and deeper soundstage, warmer mids , bumpy yet tight mid bass and rolled off highs , typical of those years when these monsters are were designed(man it weighs more than 38kg and was so big that it could not be stuffed into my rack). However, after listening for a while I stopped using it . The resolution and speed cannot be compared with modern amps, not even on par with Audio GD 10SE. There is no real sub bass, and no sparkle in the treble. I have thus decided that it's not my stuff. I do hope that Pioneer 1x80s are different beasts.

After that I also tried my integrated amp 200w into 8 ohms and 400w into 4 ohms, designed by a professor of the University of Cosmodynamics Technology(designing rockets and spacecrafts ,etc) as a personal hobby and like a boutique workshop ten years ago. It's high resolution and speed, ample current(not only power) proved to be a perfect match for my floor standing Fischer &Fischer speakers , with dynaudio drivers and tweeters. Together with Sony SCD777 ES , this combination is fantastic for SACDs. However, with lesser recordings , the set up sometimes appear cold , coarse and harsh .

That the IA has more than enough juice to drive HE-6 ,and is technically above Sansui AU-X11 in every aspect , except the lack of the lush mid and the bulky mid bass, colorations most treasured by some .  However with some lesser voice or artificially "hi-fi" recordings the same feeling coldness, coarseness and harsh come back. 

It's only recently when I started to use Hugo that I put the IA into the chain again, accepting output from Hugo and driving HE-6. It's as if a veil was lifted, and everything comes in so lively and natural. No more harsh or coarse feeling even with some oldies.Hugo is doing something very right , very damp right that is "phenomenal". When it comes to reference grade DACs comparisons are usually simply splitting hairs. However, Hugo outshine others immediately and more as you get used to the sound, as a headfier with 50K turntable and matching amps and speakers commented that it rivals the analogue sound of his system. I believe in months professional reviewers and audiophiles will come to realize that Chord had indeed made some breakthrough with this product.

Anyway, back to the amp talk, I believe the vintage receivers or amps are just cheaper alternatives which in many ways blow off modern headamps in driving HE-6. You may have to go to high current and good quality modern speaker amps for ultimate performance. I suppose Audio GD or Auralics amps may offer excellent value for reasonable sums.

May 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #13,505 of 21,868
Not too long ago I posted on the science section regarding how listening perception changes depends on time of day and your mood and etc.., which was something I've noticed over time with my audio gears.

HE-6 is the first headphone my perception of sound has not changed, I'm constantly hearing the best SQ I've ever heard.
basshead.gif

May 11, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #13,506 of 21,868
The good thing about buying used equipment / NOS tubes you can always play down the purchase vs buying something brand new :
"Oh.. this old used thing, I got it really cheap for about $ 100 " :wink:
Husbands have used this angle religiously.

Amps are one technology that hasn't changed much over time like other aspects of our gear. Big transformers and current reserves are common of those vintage amps. Try to price out a replacement transformer for one of those behemoths and you'll most likely pay more for it than the amp.

May 11, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #13,508 of 21,868
I don´t know if any here have tried  HE-6 with Heed stereo amps and wrote about it in the last 900 pages, but was surprised the other day that the synergy was so nice.  I sold my HE-6 last year after I lost patience with finding the right amp and turned back to the HE-500. But the other night I had a little canjam with 2 guys, one of them with a modded HE-6 + the Hifiman adapter, it played really well with my Heed Obelisk Pre/PS/PX amp + Auralic Vega DAC. Good drive and control, very nice dynamic, body and soundstage. That said, I didn´t have the chance to listen to many different kinds of tracks and genres, but the initial impression was pretty solid. I know it´s not the cheapest option for HE-6, but Heed make other amps as well.

So got a bit in love with HE-6 again 
tongue.gif
 . Any news on Fang´s plans to releasing a successor ? Don´t want jump on a HE-6 if HE-7 is only 1-6 month away.         

May 12, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #13,510 of 21,868
With HE-6 driven properly, nothing must is left to desire more. Even if HE-7 is released it would be sidewards more then real upgrade.

One good thing about HE-6 is, it sound awesome with speaker setup, so you end up having one setup for both headphone and speakers.

May 12, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #13,511 of 21,868
  With HE-6 driven properly, nothing must is left to desire more. Even if HE-7 is released it would be sidewards more then real upgrade.

One good thing about HE-6 is, it sound awesome with speaker setup, so you end up having one setup for both headphone and speakers.

I think pretty much the only things I want improved on the 6 would be the new suspension headband and lighter weight over all, easier drive requirements would be nice as well.

May 12, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #13,512 of 21,868

I think pretty much the only things I want improved on the 6 would be the new suspension headband and lighter weight over all, easier drive requirements would be nice as well.

I do not prefer this, many options with speaker amps.....to get same quality we need to pay more with headphone amps IMO,  also you would find a better deal on used speaker amp then on headphone amp, it a bigger market out there.

if you like to have more than one high end HP's then HE-6 rig may not be an option, but I am happy with HE-6 and spending more $ on music rather than bothering about hardware these days. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back