HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 28, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #12,391 of 21,868
  ODAC is supplied by a Salas BiB and sounds super-fantastic! My best digital source ever had at home. The voltage output (2V) from the ess9023 inside ODAC is directly fed to the preamp through a short lenght of DNM cable. No I/V stage nor other circuitry between dac chip and pre.

Oh ok. Well there's I/V conversion somewhere, i guess it's integrated inside the ESS9023 chip?

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #12,392 of 21,868
  I'm at 49 Ohm, lowball 
tongue_smile.gif

beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #12,396 of 21,868
Yes he should quit sooner lol.
Anyway. I just spent an hour going back and forth
From my woo to my krell. And this really is a big pain but a virtue too
So the woo gives more details less bass
And overall brighter tone. The krell is a little less bright and more bass
Now given brighter leaner and darker more bass less detail
This appears to be a trade off.
Now here is what I really think is going on hear
I think the amps are really the same and the output of my DAC
Is being affected differently with the two amps

So how am I doing. ???
Al

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #12,398 of 21,868
When feeding my HE-6, my dac prices started at peanuts, soared up to 1.3k, but now have settled back down to $300. Amp-wise, I've been middling about shy of the 1k range. Tried several speaker amps but either didn't care for the particular tone or don't want a giant honking amp on my desk. Currently rocking a pair of medium size monos, but I'm yearning for something smaller.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #12,399 of 21,868

"Impedance" and "characteristic impedance" are not the same thing. If you take a coax cable rated for 75ohm, that is the characteristic impedance. If you touched a multimeter across the length of it, you would be measuring the regular resistance and that won't be more than a fraction of an ohm.

So what? Aren't we dealing with a form of transmission here? With an ever changing signal such as audio, I think we are 
ph34r.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #12,400 of 21,868
  When feeding my HE-6, my dac prices started at peanuts, soared up to 1.3k, but now have settled back down to $300. Amp-wise, I've been middling about shy of the 1k range. Tried several speaker amps but either didn't care for the particular tone or don't want a giant honking amp on my desk. Currently rocking a pair of medium size monos, but I'm yearning for something smaller.

For something smaller, give some of those gainclones a shot. Besides, I'm curious how they pan out :)

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #12,401 of 21,868
  So what? Aren't we dealing with a form of transmission here? With an ever changing signal such as audio, I think we are 
ph34r.gif

You mentioned the standard mini-coax connector in the Hifiman was 30ohm, but that is characteristic impedance which does not add to the load seen by the amp.

For something smaller, give some of those gainclones a shot. Besides, I'm curious how they pan out :)

I've thought about it. Glanced at some kits from audiosector and chipamp in the past. Although by the time I do a dual-mono bridged setup I'm probably no better off in terms of size
rolleyes.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #12,402 of 21,868

I've thought about it. Glanced at some kits from audiosector and chipamp in the past. Although by the time I do a dual-mono bridged setup I'm probably no better off in terms of size
rolleyes.gif

Food for thought...water-cooling 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back