HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #12,376 of 21,868
  "That's really not a good statement about hifiman. I'm pretty sure Sennheiser wouldn't have such variance."

Yeah, but finding an amp that makes them sound "good" (not loud) is much harder.
Having said that I do want a set of HD-800 eventually.

I highly recommend it. The thing the HD800 does better than any other headphone, including the HE6 according to experts, is make you feel like you're listening, not to a headphone, but to a top of the line speaker system set up perfectly all around you. I prefer the sound of speakers to the sound of headphones, and similarly prefer the sound of headphones to IEMs, so HD800 is a necessary item in my inventory.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #12,377 of 21,868
I like the HD800 as well.  Probably will never give it up.  However, it is times I prefer the HE-6 ove the HD800.  No wait, let me put it like this.  The only time I prefer the HD800 over the HE-6 is when listening to classical music.  NOTHING else - and that's not a lot. Yet and still I probably will never get rid of the HD800 (again)..

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #12,378 of 21,868
I hear that.
But I do like bass presence when I listen to speakers (which my HPM-100 have in abundance).
I have yet to hear that form an HD-800 even when well amplified.
Where as the HE-6 (and the LDC-2 rev1) get much closer when given gobs of power.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #12,379 of 21,868
I'm at 49 Ohm, lowball 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #12,380 of 21,868
  I like the HD800 as well.  Probably will never give it up.  However, it is times I prefer the HE-6 ove the HD800.  No wait, let me put it like this.  The only time I prefer the HD800 over the HE-6 is when listening to classical music.  NOTHING else - and that's not a lot. Yet and still I probably will never get rid of the HD800 (again)..

+1 on the HD-800 for large classical works.  For all the other classical stuff except vocal sacral music (there it' s the 500 despite lack of clarity vs the 6) the HE-6 taker it for me.  Benn thinking of selling the Senn but they're so damn good for me for this one particular thing...and I listen almost exclusively to classical (a bit of blues and jazz too-->HE-500)

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #12,381 of 21,868
I highly recommend it. The thing the HD800 does better than any other headphone, including the HE6 according to experts, is make you feel like you're listening, not to a headphone, but to a top of the line speaker system set up perfectly all around you. I prefer the sound of speakers to the sound of headphones, and similarly prefer the sound of headphones to IEMs, so HD800 is a necessary item in my inventory.

I listen to my speakers quite a bit more than my headphones. When I had the HD800, they sounded the least like my speakers or any other good speaker system. The most speaker like headphone that I've owned is my SR009s. I sold my 800s about a year ago and I haven't regretted it for even a second. When my friend brought over his HD800 and HE6 to listen to on my Master 9 a few weeks ago, it very obvious which one sounded better to my ears. I will probably buy the HE6 again, but the HD800 forget about it. I was surprised how much better the HE6 sounded compared to the HD800.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #12,382 of 21,868
If the Audeze LCD XC were a good representation of what planars sound like, I think I prefer dynamics. Maybe it's because dynamics sound more like speakers, I don't know, but the HD800 sounds much more "natural" to me where as the planar sounded a bit contrived and synthetic, although good in its own way.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #12,383 of 21,868

I listen to my speakers quite a bit more than my headphones. When I had the HD800, they sounded the least like my speakers or any other good speaker system. The most speaker like headphone that I've owned is my SR009s. I sold my 800s about a year ago and I haven't regretted it for even a second. When my friend brought over his HD800 and HE6 to listen to on my Master 9 a few weeks ago, it very obvious which one sounded better to my ears. I will probably buy the HE6 again, but the HD800 forget about it. I was surprised how much better the HE6 sounded compared to the HD800.

This seems like a bit of "the lady doth protest too much" perhaps designed to cover your deep pain caused by missing the HD800s, but I wouldn't know I've never listened to any of those but the HD800.

Feb 28, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #12,387 of 21,868

Does that mean that my HE-6's are 38 ohm?
That can't be especially if they are rated at 50 and everyone seems to be at or above that.
Could the fact that I re-cabled mine to 4 pin mini xlr have anything to do with it? Is that why I am getting good results with lower wattage amps like the Hi-Fi M8.

Recabling will not lower the impedance of the drivers. You simply got a pair of headphones with a lower impedance than others. Huzzah.

Recabling probably helps, I think the standard connector is in the ~30Ω range already. I don't remember who measured that and how, though.

"Impedance" and "characteristic impedance" are not the same thing. If you take a coax cable rated for 75ohm, that is the characteristic impedance. If you touched a multimeter across the length of it, you would be measuring the regular resistance and that won't be more than a fraction of an ohm.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #12,388 of 21,868
Well after all the warnings about the amp I decided to buy a beyerdynamic T1 as my alternate main headphone, which is apparently the other high-end can with the treble reach that I look for. Good luck to you all with your complicated amp setups, diagrams, ohm measurements and so on. I'll be unsubbing.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #12,389 of 21,868
Nice setup StryGR. I notice the 'salas' in the odac chain. Is that some sort of I/V stage modification from the user at DIYA? I must admit though, while the ODAC is good, better is attainable rather easily, funds allowing of course.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #12,390 of 21,868
ODAC is supplied by a Salas BiB and sounds super-fantastic! My best digital source ever had at home. The voltage output (2V) from the ess9023 inside ODAC is directly fed to the preamp through a short lenght of DNM cable. No I/V stage nor other circuitry between dac chip and pre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back