HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 2, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #14,956 of 21,879

My exact configuration. Forget the research, get the banana plugs and plug them into the speaker taps of your amp...if its an SS amp, hit play, its its a tube amp, you will want to add some resistors across the speaker taps.

why would I need resistors ?
always read about that but never really understood the need for it..... is it only necessary for transformer coupled amplifiers or.... ?

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #14,957 of 21,879
Oct 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #14,958 of 21,879
Wow, I have an LCD-X coming in. I have heard neither the X (yet) nor the 560. Have you heard both?

Just listened to both in Nashville, the Owner of the LCD-X put them up for sale and ordered a 560.

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #14,959 of 21,879
  Honestly, you'll be glad you bought the HE-6. The HE-6 is much better in portraying texture and dimensionality of the music while the 560s have a bit better imaging and airiness. In my opinion, there's no headphone that sounds quite like the HE-6, it's pretty special, but there are many headphones that sound similar to the 560 (which isn't a bad thing, it's in great company). Think LCDX, lower end Stax etc. 

It's a lot more special when completely modded. Mine sound nothing like the stock form besides FR; it's a huge step forward. These thing's have ridiculous potential.
  Wow, I have an LCD-X coming in. I have heard neither the X (yet) nor the 560. Have you heard both?

An expensive downgrade...

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #14,961 of 21,879
  How did you mod them? Only thing I can possibly think of is a pad upgrade and removing the grille felt. 

Audeze Vegan pads
Grill mod - use more open grill
Felt mod - apply felt on the driver grills.

When applied together, this perfect harmony transforms the HE-6 to a new level. Others have listened to my advice and have had their minds blown.

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #14,962 of 21,879
  How did you mod them? Only thing I can possibly think of is a pad upgrade and removing the grille felt. 

HE6 is typically modded 3 ways - these 3 mods all work together - best to do them all or none.
  • Remove the grill. Some folks like to put a lighter grill in it's place. I didn't bother - remove them completely and be careful not to snag the exposed wires (see picture - right hand side).
  • Change the pads. I use the vegan Audeze - also adds a lot to the comfort.
  • Fuzor - place adhesive felt along the inner structure to soften the otherwise harsh treble. I use a 'fuzor light' - only bothered to do the central section as this is the area that matters for the sound. (see picture - left hand side).

"Fuzor-Lite" close up:

Some folks do the outer ring area also - I found it wasn't necessary - the central area is where the sonic action is.

The important thing is the width of the adhesive felt strips - 3.5mm is about what you need - you want to cover the metal but not obstruct the opening in between. Mine took about 30 minutes to do for each side - it's easy.

This last bit is optional, but I would recommend it purely for comfort - wrap a seat belt protector around the central section of the headband.

Put all these together and you have a stunning headphone with great comfort as well. Drive it with 8W (or more) and it will sing like nothing else I have ever heard. I have an LCD-X and a HD800 - both great headphones - but they don't get much head time as the modded HE6, driven from a WA5 with 8W behind it, is just so much better at almost everything. You really have to experience it to understand what it can do.

Good luck
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #14,963 of 21,879

Audeze Vegan pads
Grill mod - use more open grill
Felt mod - apply felt on the driver grills.

When applied together, this perfect harmony transforms the HE-6 to a new level. Others have listened to my advice and have had their minds blown.

+1. My mind was totally blown
confused_face.gif

I was skeptical about the hype, until I did the mods and plugged it into the WA5 K1K socket. If there is a religious experience to be had in HeadFi, this was it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #14,968 of 21,879

An expensive downgrade...

Wow, I never liked Audezes but is this how i interpret ? HE6 > HE560 > LCD-X ?
That case you saved me $2k. :) now I have 1 less headphone that I don't have to worry about. :)

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #14,969 of 21,879

Ohhg.... I never let my HE 6 go and will not...

Me 2, I regret letting my D7000, there are few headphones that are really special and can become a collector's item :)
And HE6 is one of them IMO. Maybe should get another pair while supplies last, :)

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #14,970 of 21,879
  why would I need resistors ?
always read about that but never really understood the need for it..... is it only necessary for transformer coupled amplifiers or.... ?

Its about the amplifier "seeing" an appropriate load (obviously layman's jargon here) since speaker amps drive 4-8 ohms and HPs like the HE 6 have higher impedances....Hope I have this right... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back