HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 2, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #14,941 of 21,879
  Wow, I have an LCD-X coming in. I have heard neither the X (yet) nor the 560. Have you heard both?

I have heard both. They are both great. I would have personally bought an LCDX if I didn't enjoy the HE-6 so much more. The texture and thickness just isn't there in the LCDX to the level of the HE-6. It's traded for some airiness and wider imaging (so depending on your taste, that could be an advantage or disadvantage). One of the main thoughts I had when I listened to the HE-6 that I got with no other headphones was: "Why would I ever want good speakers now?" It just has such an authoritative sound to it when properly powered at medium-high volumes. The LCDX/560 would compliment the HE-6 well now that I think about it. But the fact that I wanted to point out is that neither of them are like the HE-6. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #14,942 of 21,879

I just hope they "upgrade" their HE-6 like they recently did for the rest of their line.  The same but...more comfortable.  

Last rumors I heard was that Fang was indeed trying to come up with a proper successor to the HE-6 (it was rumored to possibly be an E-stat if I recall correctly?) 

But, I can't possibly imagine how much better the type of sound the HE-6 produces can be improved any more than already. Maybe a tad wider sounstaging? Other than that, it's pretty much impossible to improve the sound. Maybe cosmetic/technical stuff like you said can be improved like comfort and power handling. 

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #14,943 of 21,879
  .... Maybe cosmetic/technical stuff like you said can be improved like comfort and power handling. 

yes, 100 grammes less and more comfortable ear-cups will be a good enough upgrade for me.  I'm not asking more.

Oct 2, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #14,944 of 21,879
Man. I am even more stoked about the HE6 now.

I did ponder about the LCD-X but decided to go the route of the HE6.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #14,945 of 21,879
  Man. I am even more stoked about the HE6 now.

I did ponder about the LCD-X but decided to go the route of the HE6.

And you are OK with HE6's comfort and weight ? 

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #14,948 of 21,879
  I have heard both. They are both great. I would have personally bought an LCDX if I didn't enjoy the HE-6 so much more. The texture and thickness just isn't there in the LCDX to the level of the HE-6. It's traded for some airiness and wider imaging (so depending on your taste, that could be an advantage or disadvantage). One of the main thoughts I had when I listened to the HE-6 that I got with no other headphones was: "Why would I ever want good speakers now?" It just has such an authoritative sound to it when properly powered at medium-high volumes. The LCDX/560 would compliment the HE-6 well now that I think about it. But the fact that I wanted to point out is that neither of them are like the HE-6. 

Mate, I'm with you on that aspect (which is why I went very quickly to stereo amps).

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #14,949 of 21,879
the HE-6 isn't a headphone, it's a pair of really inefficient speakers on a headband 
evil_smiley.gif

being inefficient isn't always a bad trait you know(amp builders know what I mean  
rolleyes.gif
)....
oh, and I heard you ought to buy banana plug-terminated cables for the he-6 when running it from a speaker amp(need to do more research on that though)

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #14,950 of 21,879
And you are OK with HE6's comfort and weight ? 

I prefer Hifiman (comfort-wise) much more than Audezes, weights are about the same but the clamping force and angled pads on Audeze are just pathetic, pathetic design. I will choose Hifiman over Audeze anyday.

But Hifiman quality is not as good for the price it's asking. HE6 at $1299, with the cheap looking cables, really cheap headbands, storage box that look like made of cardboard, other than that sounds really good !

There are no other headphones with this kind of sound signature. :wink:

And lastly customer service at Hifiman should improve, I had one bad earpad and ask for the replacement, they only sent me 1, instead of matching pair. lol. What is this ? earpads cost peanut for them.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #14,952 of 21,879
I've owned the following headphones over the years:

HD800, T1, RS1, HE-5, DT150, Grado 325i, GS1000, PS500, DT880 (twice), LCD2.2 and K701 amongst others.

I think the LCD with it's crazy clamping force was the most uncomfortable for me.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #14,953 of 21,879
  the HE-6 isn't a headphone, it's a pair of really inefficient speakers on a headband 
evil_smiley.gif

being inefficient isn't always a bad trait you know(amp builders know what I mean  
rolleyes.gif
)....
oh, and I heard you ought to buy banana plug-terminated cables for the he-6 when running it from a speaker amp(need to do more research on that though)

My exact configuration. Forget the research, get the banana plugs and plug them into the speaker taps of your amp...if its an SS amp, hit play, its its a tube amp, you will want to add some resistors across the speaker taps.

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #14,954 of 21,879
I'm with you HFM fans.................the HE-6 to me is not uncomfortable in the least.  It's weight isn't bad either.................and out of speaker taps (in my case I have bare wires going into my B speaker outputs on my Spec 1 system fed by a Spec 2 amp) the bass truly is the best I've heard. 

Coming from a Denon fan(atic) and former owner of the TH900 (started stock then did Lawton mods) which have great bass, the HE-6 is in a class of its' own. 

Never thought an open planar can could do bass like this..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back