HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Mar 1, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #12,436 of 21,868
  +1 Me too!

+2  I've already got the tea selected for the afternoon. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #12,440 of 21,868
  Jasmine Dragon Phoenix Pearls

200x200px-ZC-66c78c1a_BlackPearlGaiwan-MingDynasty1368-1644-Copy.jpeg

with my fav Black Pearl Gaiwan

You're finally 27 posts ahead of me, with a nicer tea set than my Teavanna Dragonfly 
tongue_smile.gif

Back on topic, it's been a while since I spent time in the basement to listen to my HE-6 and EF6 amp, but I did last night and it still surprises me.  I'm still concerned that although I can't actually stand to listen to it at full-volume that I wish that I had about 2-3 dB more headroom for "just in case".

I also wish that the EF6 RCA outputs on the back would bypass the volume pot.  I'm feeding the EF6 with a Macbook and Apple TV as transports > Nuforce DAC-100 > HAP-100 preamp, where I have the STA-100 speaker amp plugged into the back of the EF6 since the preamp only has one output.  

So, I have too many volume pots in the loop now, with one on the DAC + one on the preamp + one on the EF6. I like to leave the EF6 volume at 2-3 o'clock so it's not high enough to damage headphones if the DAC or preamp get cranked up to max by accident.  But then this limits the speaker amp output.  I may have to just add an RCA splitter to feed the preamp into the EF6 and speaker amp separately.

Other than that, I still think the EF6 is quite optimal for the HE-6, and it's one of my favorites with the HD800 (giving them energy, punch and excitement even for classic rock).

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #12,441 of 21,868
Have you removed the pre and EF-6 from the circuit and use just your DAC volume to your amp? That dynamic aggressiveness is what attracts me to this headphone and I've not heard many pre's that stay out of the way.

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #12,443 of 21,868

How do you like the bass response on your F1?

It is very good.  Some amps tend to smear the bass response, or roll it off.  Not with the F1.  Its always tight and "just right".  My only problem with the F1 is it needs to be adjusted for higher rails.  Should be able to do +/- 20 V, but it starts to clip at 15.  Hopefully, when I'm inside to do the JFET upgrade I'll be able to figure out why the low clipping level and fix it.  Pappa thinks it may partly be due to my saggy mains.  I now have a variac with enough output to be able to find out for sure.

Classical drums and big, Kodo-like drums are reproduced by my McCormack with aweness and crystal-clear impact! In fact, playing YIm Hok-man drums, I measured dynamic rms peaks as high as 25 V (!!). I always wonder if such bass qualities with HE-6 have a trade-off over other important aspects, i.e. treble smoothness or effortless musical details. I need to discover with a diy Firstwatt, or may be the new Shiit amp?
:)

When you say dynamic rms peaks, are you saying you measured 25 Vrms with a true RMS volt meter?  If so, HOLY COW!!!!

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #12,445 of 21,868
  Yes! It corresponds to about 73 W @ 8 ohm!!! I described in detail in a previous post. For totally uncompressed reproduction, HE-6 needs a clear 10 W @ 60 ohm (in class A :)  ).

10W, right on the money just like I've found. 
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #12,446 of 21,868

Yes! It corresponds to about 73 W @ 8 ohm!!! I described in detail in a previous post. For totally uncompressed reproduction, HE-6 needs a clear 10 W @ 60 ohm (in class A :)  ).

Or 20 W peak!

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #12,447 of 21,868
I've said these things needed about 10-15w at 50ohms to get all you can from the 6s. I'm glad to see other people finding similar. Mine was based on listening opinion and not science. I use 125watt monoblocks and that equates to about the range we're talking about. My amps have enough power to damage the headphones so what I have is too much. But it's enough for covering the slam and bass strength and soundstage. so 20w is not going to be used at it's maximum but it's reserve capacity will serve well to handle the 6s needs.

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #12,448 of 21,868
Read through most of the thread...I know huge power is the over riding preference but a First Watt is not possible for me. I have an Auarkic Vega and Taurus MK.II. and am wondering if the Taurus Mk.II is enough power to drive the HE-6?

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #12,450 of 21,868
  I'm afraid its specs will discourage you. Taurus was not designed to drive HE-6 but ... Audeze may be?

I can confirm that I got ear ringingly booming bass, good mids and ear piercingly high treble (higher than the HD800) with the Audeze LCD XC with my cell phone. They're not lying when they say you can drive their cans with a tiny amp. So you don't really need anything for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back