HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #1,156 of 21,868

Quote:
There you go. Let's go on with the HE-6 now?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/399951/sennheiser-hd800-spray-painted-plastic-and-the-new-acid-washed-jeans/705#post_6373324

Ummm...kind of a big difference. That photo is from user damage or poor handling. Not right out of the box or a failure mode that quickly propagates itself. Mine are about a year old and absolutely brand spanking new (HD800s).

The creaking spring issue with the HD800s that DavidMahler points out is a better comparison.

But in the end, Dave's problem was quite trivial.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #1,157 of 21,868

Quote:
They have very similar output which makes me believe 45wpc should be enough

45 wpc should be perfect IMO

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #1,158 of 21,868

Quote:
Dear Silly Sally,
     I've just got my realiser 8 and I 've done the 3 measurements at AIX rcords.
    I came back from USA to day still jet lag.
    I have Sennheiser HD800  HE5 HE6 Audeze LCD2, do you think which one
will be appropriate to use with the Smyth? 
     BTW I use the ZDT and the oppo83 se nuforce as the player now
connect via RCA analog by audioquest sky 72DBS and using the nuforce 8 interconnect for the 7.1 and
nuforece HDMI cable for picture via Dell ultrasharp 2711.

Hi kiertijai,

Understanding that you will be using the Realiser for a lot of 2Ch music, you may want to make a HPEQ for each of your 4 headphones. Use your 4 presets from your Realiser, load your 7.1 PRIR in each preset and add your HPEQ for each headphone in one of the four presets. This way you can switch between all four of your headphones to hear what you like best using your ZDT and BD-83SE/NE.
When making your HPEQ's make sure you have the Realiser's mic's inserted into your ear canal properly and do not block the mic with the yellow plugs, make sure the plugs are just a little below the mic's.

The only headphone that I have right now that you have is the HD-800 (cardas cable), and yes I like the HD-800 with the cardas cable very much with the Realiser.

My HE-6 is somewhere between Chicago and Hong Kong so I will not know how that sounds with the Realiser and the rest of my system until next week. On a side note, I am getting a Warren Audio HD-6 15ft ( < 9ft HE-6 cable is to short) headphone cable but that will not be here till the following week. I will report back on both the HE-6 and the Warren Audio X-10 cable.

I set my BD-83 to 2Ch (Stereo works well also) left and right large speakers 0 distance and use my AIX 7.1 PRIR for 2Ch, turn off HDMI audio.

ss

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #1,159 of 21,868

Quote:
then show me the proof that problem on HD800 or T1 at this price range please

Quote:
???!!!  So there are no issues with other companies.... yes ? no?

Quote:
then what do you think about that dude's headband chipping on his new headphone? and wondering how head-driect quality control works on this issue, I really don't believe it is user's fault.

Yes my HD-800s have the same problem with the paint chipping.

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #1,160 of 21,868
Please skylab, we are waiting for your review.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #1,162 of 21,868

Quote:
Do you guys prefer the sound of HE-6 over Sennheiser HD800 ?

Isn't that a personal preference? I doubt there is objective truth in any answer back to this question. The other issue as I see, both headphones would need very different amping to sound their best and not too many Head-fiers would own "ideal" amps for both. But there might be a few lucky members.

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #1,164 of 21,868
From memory, and based on my little experience I think the HD800 and HE6 are going to be in fierce competition because I think they will both appeal to the same listeners.  They both have a clean sound that focuses on transparency, detail and treble.  Not just because of their balance that leans a bit towards the treble, but IME treble detail is the focal point for both phones (unlike a headphone like the HD600, which brings more attention to the midrange).  The HE6 has smoother treble response, and more bass while the HD800 has a much bigger and better soundstage.  I would have to A/B them to say much more than that...

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #1,165 of 21,868

Quote:
then what do you think about that dude's headband chipping on his new headphone? and wondering how head-driect quality control works on this issue, I really don't believe it is user's fault.

Quote:
Quote:
please do excuse my ignorance, does this hifiman has a company address? do they have a factory like sennheiser? their website looks so cheap, when you run the domain check, it is only showing the hosting provider info, how can you trust a company like that?

Definitely ignorant, and not to be ignored or excused.  Head-Direct is a very reputable company and they have introduced some very good products, with good service to go with it.  Being small does not mean they aren't trustworthy.

realaqu - see example of good customer service below .  Head-direct listens to their customers, and are willing to address issues and concerns or problems and not try to hide anything.

Quote:
We apologize for the problem. The white stuff is excess glue. You can actually clean it by nail scratching and alcohol swabbing. We will be extremely careful in QC so that we can find out any headband with extra glue, and clean them before we ship the headphones to our customers.
Quote:
Question to HE-6 owners:

I've owned my HE-6 for little more than a week.  I love the sound, but the headband....the leather right on the outside of the seams seems to be "chipping" does anyone else notice this on their pair?

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #1,166 of 21,868

Quote:
Quote:

Isn't that a personal preference? I doubt there is objective truth in any answer back to this question. The other issue as I see, both headphones would need very different amping to sound their best and not too many Head-fiers would own "ideal" amps for both. But there might be a few lucky members.

Quote:
From memory, and based on my little experience I think the HD800 and HE6 are going to be in fierce competition because I think they will both appeal to the same listeners.  They both have a clean sound that focuses on transparency, detail and treble.  Not just because of their balance that leans a bit towards the treble, but IME treble detail is the focal point for both phones (unlike a headphone like the HD600, which brings more attention to the midrange).  The HE6 has smoother treble response, and more bass while the HD800 has a much bigger and better soundstage.  I would have to A/B them to say much more than that...

I've been A/B'ing the HE-6 & HD800 and right now and the HD800 is in the lead but I think that is because I am not amping the HE-6 to its potential yet. When I had the protos and the speaker adapter to amp them better the HE-6 took the lead from the HD800 so I have hope that the prodos can do the same soon when I get them hooked up properly. I believe I am coming close to the potential of my HD800 with my WA22 and balanced sources, they sound very good. These two headphones do have their similarities but they have some dramatic differences as well that I expect to become more apparent when I get the right amp connected to the HE-6 again.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #1,167 of 21,868

Quote:

It depends on the amp.  When I used the prototype with my 55 watt Yamaha I preferred the HE-6 over the HD800/HE-60.  I will definitely be getting a speaker output adapter.  Right now I'm still listening to the HE-6 more than I am the HD800, except the HD800 are better with my WA6 in the bedroom.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #1,169 of 21,868
I wouldn't think the WA6 could power the HE-6 to any decent degree. While a nice amp, it really doesn't have a lot of power for the neediest of phones. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #1,170 of 21,868
Yes that is what I have been saying all along, the WA6 isn't a amp nor is the WA22 for the HE-6.
I also think that the my WA6SE may be borderline but that is something that I will be able to report on next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back