HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 20, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #1,186 of 21,860
^ Like quite a few otherwise fine headphone amplifiers 
ph34r.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #1,187 of 21,860
I don't think there will be a winner between LCD2 and HE-6. From my understanding they both offer different qualities. I think we will need to buy both 
tongue.gif

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #1,188 of 21,860
Just like different venues, the same band, singer, orchestra can sound totally different, as far as acoustics, so why not head phones. Yes the perfect transducer will put out what is on the recording but there is little consensus on anything available as far as the near perfect. 

So I enjoy the HD650's, when coupled with a good amp that brings them to life, Ultrasone 9's and the Grado HF-2 in balanced. One of the two fairly new entries, the HE-6 or LCD-2 would seem to be a great addition and new link to the music. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #1,189 of 21,860
For LCD2 + ZDT combination

Simply change ZDT's 12ax7 from Mullard reissue to Amperex make lcd2 much more airy and 3D.  For treble extension and slam just replace Amperex with Telefunken.  I'm getting a tube buffer stage with single 12ax7 to blend Amperex and Telefunken together.  Don't know if they will get along though.   If it works may be another tube line stage with 12au7 to add Sylvania or Mullard to the mix.

I'm sure HE6 require difference 12ax7 combo but it fun to experiment.  Last tweak before I get my  BA next month :)  

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #1,190 of 21,860
Dear SS,
     Thanks for your comment.
     I have tried the HE6 with the ZDT via the analog output of the HE6.  It seemed to be underpowered as I
have to use up to 3 oclock while usually I use at 12 oclock to 1 oclock.   I don't know how to increase the
output of the realiser A8 yet. It's not on the remote.  I would be very appreciated if  you could help me on
this.   I also found that the amplifier on the realiser A8 could drive the HE5, LCD2 and Sennheiser HD800
but not the HE6.  My electrician was on vacation and he will be back on Monday and then I will know what
is wrong with the Warren cable and will it work well with the HE6.
     The HE6 is difficult to drive and you do need adequate amplification to hear the full potential
of the HE6.   With the ZDT driving the HE6 in normal listening to the Pink Floyd : SACD Dark Side of the Moon
I can hear the chatting in the beginning of first track more clearly and in the middle of the track the sound of
the footsteps walking around you is also more prominent which I found it less on the LCD-2.  I tried to
use the HE6 with the Redwine Audio Isabella headphone amplifier with new LFPV battery, it also didn't
drive the HE6 very well however it seemed to be a better match with LCD-2 than the ZDT.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #1,191 of 21,860
Hello kiertijal.

To adjust the volume level on the Realiser use the up/down arrows on the remote.The volume level that your Realiser is set at right now is -22 or -21. However if you don't save the volume level in your pre-set's, once you turn off your Realiser the volume level will go back to -21 the next time you turn your Realiser back on.

I have the dark side of the moon SACD so I will be giving that SACD a try once my HE-6 get to my house.

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #1,192 of 21,860
Dear SS,
    Thanks so much about this info.
    I will try the HE6 again with the ZDT and realiser A8.
   However I will have my Warren cable fixed next week and   burn in
while I  study the 90 pages manual.

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #1,194 of 21,860

Put the order last week, and if they are shipping it from Hong Kong, then I minght get it straight out of the factory
biggrin.gif
Wonder why they don't have a Hong Kong branch.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #1,195 of 21,860

Quote:
I was dumb enough to go to the meet and not examine anyone else's HE-6 with the intent of seeing if anyone had a rough interior outline where the padding rests.  If you run your fingers around the inner circle of the pad, is it always rough?

Mine has a few slightly rough spots, yes.  The HE-6's "fit and finish" is what I would call "good", not "great".  Fortunately, the sound is outstanding.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #1,196 of 21,860
Can I use the Mcintosh MA6200(75wpc/8ohm) without the impedenct box? thanks.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #1,198 of 21,860

Quote:
Quote:
Have any one here tried this headphone with Meier Corda Concerto?

Search for Concerto within this thread and you'll find some comments.  I don't have this combo myself, but from what I've read it seems that the Concerto is juuuuuust enough for the HE-6, maybe lacking a bit in power.

concerto puts out like .7 watts at that impedance IIRC ... I think that is a fair bit more than "slightly underpowered". The amp is excellent, but this would be seemingly out of its reach.

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #1,199 of 21,860

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Search for Concerto within this thread and you'll find some comments.  I don't have this combo myself, but from what I've read it seems that the Concerto is juuuuuust enough for the HE-6, maybe lacking a bit in power.

concerto puts out like .7 watts at that impedance IIRC ... I think that is a fair bit more than "slightly underpowered". The amp is excellent, but this would be seemingly out of its reach.

It would seem that a full speaker amp is ideal for these headphones. I'm sure the B22 could handle them, but I'm beginning to wonder if a speaker amp would be better still? 

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #1,200 of 21,860

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It would seem that a full speaker amp is ideal for these headphones. I'm sure the B22 could handle them, but I'm beginning to wonder if a speaker amp would be better still? 

yeah well I mean I am wure as soon as people can power it, the next thing will get ready to do is "truly power it" and will all eventually move on to speaker amps if they like the headphones enough to warrant doing so.

on another note, I have a 100 watt amp... does that mean 100wpc and do I need this speaker box for the HE6 if so? (i understand that up to 100 is safe, but is 100 safe too?)

I am thinking my phoenix should be able to drive it though... it puts out almost 3 watts into 50 ohms IIRC.... then again I don't really need another headphone and the build quality does look rather bleh for 999.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back