HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #8,896 of 21,879
My memory doesn't serve, so the treble gets better? I'm getting oh so close to pulling the trigger (Jul/Aug). Is it gonna be the HE-6, HD800 or TH-900?

I may even stand down and stick with the D7000 & HD650 and save $$$ for awhile. It is my hope that what ever I select, can prove to be somewhat of an all-arounder with both my tube & ss gears.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #8,897 of 21,879
Well, I never heard the treble "bad"  So I don't count in this research.  

That's a really hard decision to make between the three.  But I think it's time to step it up from the D7000 and the HD650s.  I know you had enough tea by now..
wink_face.gif

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #8,898 of 21,879
Quote:

That's a really hard decision to make between the three.  But I think it's time to step it up from the D7000 and the HD650s.  I know you had enough tea by now..
wink_face.gif

dt880smile.png

I'm stuffing change into the empty tea tins like a mad man! Savings are hard to come by being
rolleyes.gif
 unemployed. Though, I continue to successfully sale stuff I really don't need anymore, we're all addicts and want it now! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

There's trouble on the horizon. Don't need a new amp... but want one. Wanna step up with new cans but need to draw from the same 
mad.gif
tins. My reality looks more and more like either new cans or a new amp. This is hard.

Add: How do you like your Zuma server?

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #8,899 of 21,879
Quote:
Add: How do you like your Zuma server?

Still getting use to it and the whole Windows 8 thing.  Sound Quality wise.  It's a definite step up from my laptop.  Still subtle differences.  The more I listen the more I can pick out the improvements.  Time well tell.  So far so good.  Chris gets a thumbs up from me..

Jun 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #8,900 of 21,879
I like the site and the contributions over there. Well, it can get bogged down over egos and personal attacks, sometimes. But learned a lot from over there since mid-2000s.

Noticed he named the servers after his fav beaches in Malibu, CA. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #8,901 of 21,879
Quick question from a newb enjoying his he-6 headphones... When I changed the pleather pads for the velour I noticed a small piece of cloth underneath where the pads would sit covering approx a quarter of the headphone. What is this for? Thanks in advance for expanding my knowledge.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #8,902 of 21,879
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Fully agreed. To me the HE6 treble complaints are reminiscent of HD800 treble complaints. Many in the past wrote off hd800 and sung LCD3 praises. Then they bought proper amps and put LCD-3 in the closet.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #8,906 of 21,879
Quote:
Quick question from a newb enjoying his he-6 headphones... When I changed the pleather pads for the velour I noticed a small piece of cloth underneath where the pads would sit covering approx a quarter of the headphone. What is this for? Thanks in advance for expanding my knowledge.

That's for damping.

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #8,907 of 21,879
Has anyone here using a speaker tube amp with at least 50 wpc use the 4 ohm tap instead of the 8 ohm (HE-6's 50 ohms with 10 ohm resistors in parallel). This would increase the damping ratio, better control of the drivers by the amp, lower distortion and overall a cleaner sound from the tube amp. The con is less power to the HE-6 but this should not be a problem since there is still ample power from the amp.

I just changed to the 4 ohm tap on my Copland amp and it seems like the sound is slightly more relaxed and cleaner sounding on the mids.

Roger Modjeski, an audio vacuum tube amp designer, calls this Light Loading the vacuum tube amp.

"[size=x-small]Basically, light loading reduces the output current demand on the output tubes, allowing them to be more linear. It also reduces noise, raises damping factor, reduces distortion by 78% and allows for 80% more peak current when needed. The only loss is about 20% of the power rating or 1dB." Light loading means connecting the speaker on the tap that's one half its nominal impedance rating (i.e. the 4-ohm tap for 8-ohm speakers)."[/size] (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/musicreference/rm10_2.html)

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #8,908 of 21,879
Quote:
Fully agreed. To me the HE6 treble complaints are reminiscent of HD800 treble complaints. Many in the past wrote off hd800 and sung LCD3 praises. Then they bought proper amps and put LCD-3 in the closet.

Really? I sold my HE-6s (never looked back) and listen to my LCD-3s more than my HD800s and here we are a few years later. And the amps I've owned during this time: WA2, WA22, Liquid Fire and now the GS-X. 
size]

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #8,909 of 21,879
I certainly don't find the quality of the HE-6 treble reminiscent of HD800. The Senn has more than enough treble and in addition it sounds a bit dry. The HE-6 on the other hand has a gorgeous treble, and while a little too much treble it is less than HD800. Also, I find the HD800 too light on bass and again HE-6 having more. Frankly, to my ears, the HD800 is hugely overrated. It may have some strengths (like imaging and comfort), but the tonality is simply too light and thin for me. I literally laughed out loud when I heard it the first time. I was expecting something that might compete with HE-6, but was SO disappointed with it. Others may hear it differently of course.

Jun 23, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #8,910 of 21,879
Quote:
Really? I sold my HE-6s (never looked back) and listen to my LCD-3s more than my HD800s and here we are a few years later. And the amps I've owned during this time: WA2, WA22, Liquid Fire and now the GS-X. 
size]

Sorry Peter..  I love you like a brother.  But your not welcome in this thread..
wink_face.gif
  Just kidding..  

Things have changed - The Tylle measurements out dated and are subjectively objective at best being measured on a Headroom amp.  There have been lots of discoveries, lots of people trying different amps all over the place.  I know you used yours on a Macintosh - correct.  But the First Watt amps IMO are great pairing for this headphone and there are many other amps as well that pair well.

I agree with LarsHP and Cante.  While the treble on the HE-6 may be to much for some.  The energy is far better than that of the LCDs.  

If we would go on a point system between the HE-6, HD800, LCD-3.  The HE-6 just may not win outright in one category for some.  but they sure would stack up more points than the other two when it's all said and done.  IMO....  for example and IMO...

Soundstage = HD800 -->  HE-6 --> LCD
Bass = LCD --> HE-6 --> HD800
Treble energy = HE-6 --> HD800 --> LCD
Mids = HE-6 / LCD --> HD800
Instrument separation = HE-6 / HD800 --> LCD3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back