HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 3, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #8,656 of 21,867
Quote:
Hi all!

Just pulled the trigger on a HE-6 (finally!)!

Currently, I've been using as main rig a HE500 with the couple Audio-GD NFB 6 (amp) and NFB 17 (dac).
Now, I'm seriously thinking about ordering an Audio-GD Reference 10 to use with the new toy.

What do you think of this Amp+DAC?
Is it a great match for the HE-6 at the $1,850 range? Is there any better choice around this price range?

I'm honestly lost in the middle of many options, and was aiming at the Ref 10 because I've had a good experience with the NFBs.

Help me choose my new path, please! hehehe

Cheers from Brazil
Stefano

Hi Stefano, if you want, we write in portuguese via pm

May 3, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #8,657 of 21,867
today i started to listen my he-6.
i have the chills
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #8,660 of 21,867
Quote:
Hi all!

Just pulled the trigger on a HE-6 (finally!)!

Currently, I've been using as main rig a HE500 with the couple Audio-GD NFB 6 (amp) and NFB 17 (dac).
Now, I'm seriously thinking about ordering an Audio-GD Reference 10 to use with the new toy.

What do you think of this Amp+DAC?
Is it a great match for the HE-6 at the $1,850 range? Is there any better choice around this price range?

I'm honestly lost in the middle of many options, and was aiming at the Ref 10 because I've had a good experience with the NFBs.

Help me choose my new path, please! hehehe

Cheers from Brazil
Stefano

Well,  this is what I would do, assuming this is for the HE-6 only and no other headphones.  Well I'll include the HE-500s as well.

I would go the Master 10 or the Master 3 route.  With these Master series amps,  the power supplies and transformers are much better than the ones in his headphones amps.  That is my opinion not a fact.

There are a few draw backs though..

With the Master 10 you lose the DAC, so you would have to get a separate DAC.  This amp will already have volume control included.

With the Master 3 you lose the DAC and the volume control, so you have to get a DAC with a volume control included. Or a separate DAC and pre amp.

I've heard the Master 3 with the HE-6s - Let me tell you.  Very good pairing.  Very intimate, warm, very good bass, and nicely tamed treble.  If I didn't already have my F1J or couldn't find one.  This is the amp I would get.  The way he put his focus on the PSU and Transformers fits right into the HE-6s hands.  A better and more sustainable current draw.  Just what the doctor ordered.

So if you're a Audio-GD person and looking to match a amp with the HE-6s - there you go.

May 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #8,661 of 21,867
Master 3 sounds warm? I was expecting dead neutral. All the audio-gd stuff I've heard and owned have always been very neutral or slightly bright. I guess Master 10 is still not the amp for me then...

May 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #8,663 of 21,867
Quote:
I've only listened to the Master 3.  The Master 10 may sound different.  

I expected the Master10 to be the same as the Master 3, but with a built in preamp. Have you ever heard any of their headphone amps?

May 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #8,664 of 21,867
Quote:
I expected the Master10 to be the same as the Master 3, but with a built in preamp. Have you ever heard any of their headphone amps?

Nope - at this point I've only heard the Master 3 and the Master 7 (DAC)..

Looking at the NFB-27, not for the HE-6 but for an all in one solution.  Between that and the Conductor. 

May 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #8,665 of 21,867
Quote:

The Master-6/8 amps are neutral sounding IMO not warm.

May 5, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #8,666 of 21,867
Quote:

Well,  this is what I would do, assuming this is for the HE-6 only and no other headphones.  Well I'll include the HE-500s as well.

I would go the Master 10 or the Master 3 route.  With these Master series amps,  the power supplies and transformers are much better than the ones in his headphones amps.  That is my opinion not a fact.

There are a few draw backs though..

With the Master 10 you lose the DAC, so you would have to get a separate DAC.  This amp will already have volume control included.

With the Master 3 you lose the DAC and the volume control, so you have to get a DAC with a volume control included. Or a separate DAC and pre amp.

I've heard the Master 3 with the HE-6s - Let me tell you.  Very good pairing.  Very intimate, warm, very good bass, and nicely tamed treble.  If I didn't already have my F1J or couldn't find one.  This is the amp I would get.  The way he put his focus on the PSU and Transformers fits right into the HE-6s hands.  A better and more sustainable current draw.  Just what the doctor ordered.

So if you're a Audio-GD person and looking to match a amp with the HE-6s - there you go.

Hey preproman, thanks a lot for the advice!
This is definately a route worth taking... however, unfortunately it goes somewhat out of my budget as I was looking for a amp+dac under $2500 usd... Still, if it's worth it, I can wait and get the dac later.
Do you think the difference would be very great between using the master 10 and the ref 10 as amps? In what aspects would you say the Master 10 would be noticeably better?
Cheers!

Hi Stefano, if you want, we write in portuguese via pm

Hi Alota!
Just sent you a PM
Cheers!

Welcome Stefano.

You can get as good as or better sound with a decent (under 1k) DAC and a quality speaker amp (used). But us gear sluts like new toys so I'll not sway you 
wink.gif

hahahaha thanks HC!
Which DAC would you recomend in this price range?
Cheers!

May 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #8,667 of 21,867
By the way, received the HE6 yesterday.

WOW!!
I honestly wasnt expecting such difference from the HE500. But WOW, it's unbelieveable!

I'm running it on an Emotiva Mini-X a-100 speaker amp conected either to an Emotiva ERC-2 cd player or an Audio-GD NFB-17 for now... can't imagine how amazing it will be on a better setup!

After some hours of listening, I'm still getting the chills in every song haha

May 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #8,668 of 21,867
By the way, received the HE6 yesterday.

WOW!!
I honestly wasnt expecting such difference from the HE500. But WOW, it's unbelieveable!

I'm running it on an Emotiva Mini-X a-100 speaker amp conected either to an Emotiva ERC-2 cd player or an Audio-GD NFB-17 for now... can't imagine how amazing it will be on a better setup!

After some hours of listening, I'm still getting the chills in every song haha
Better bass and wider soundstage. Highs are smoother too. As for DACs, I can't recommend by experience. But the new Jkeny DAC is worth a study.

May 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #8,669 of 21,867
Under 1k Dac it's best to buy used. Also it depends on whether multiple inputs/outputs;balance/preamp are required or not.

Some of my recommendations would be: Metrum Octave + transport, Electrocompaniet ECD-1, a heavily modded Havana, Parasound 1600, used Larvy Da10/Da11, EE Minimax (replace opamp and remove tube).

May 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #8,670 of 21,867
I don't think I've ever bought a DAC that wasn't used :) Almost everything I own was bought used except for my Schiit Mjolnir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back