HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Nov 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #586 of 21,879
At least it is more efficient than K1000 (74 db).

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #587 of 21,879
I am not touching this regardless of how it sounds till I see reports of reliability and survival rates in the wild. I just received a PM a day ago by a fellow HFier who bought my first HE-5 informing me that one of the drivers had gone dead. 15 months and then kaput.

Hopefully they fixed whatever manufacturing inconsistencies and problems from the get go on the new model.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #588 of 21,879
Fang said they test their drivers for a year before release and had only 3 failures in all that time. I'd say it was unlucky, not a sign of trouble on the horizon. Regardless these have a 3 year warranty for repair.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #589 of 21,879

Quote:
Fang said they test their drivers for a year before release and had only 3 failures in all that time. I'd say it was unlucky, not a sign of trouble on the horizon. Regardless these have a 3 year warranty for repair.

3 out of how many tested. But he does give a nice warranty so wouldnt worry about the drivers failing. No one knows what will be in couple of years on any headphone.

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #590 of 21,879
Agreed, I guess we'll just see.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #591 of 21,879
Well, about to head to work, so I went ahead and placed my order. Didn't want to risk them running out (25 in stock, 2 weeks til more). Can always add the impedance box and speaker tap cables later. Should have it tomorrow, unfortunately I've got a fairly bad cold atm, so my hearing isn't so good
frown.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #592 of 21,879
eek.gif

Are you sure it is the driver? Any idea what failed in it?

Quote:
I am not touching this regardless of how it sounds till I see reports of reliability and survival rates in the wild. I just received a PM a day ago by a fellow HFier who bought my first HE-5 informing me that one of the drivers had gone dead. 15 months and then kaput.

Hopefully they fixed whatever manufacturing inconsistencies and problems from the get go on the new model.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #593 of 21,879

Quote:
eek.gif

Are you sure it is the driver? Any idea what failed in it?

It could be the cable connection. I think when my HE-5 was replaced because of drivers cutting out that was probably the real issue and a fairly common early problem.

Anyways after all my bitching I am going to give these a try. The combination of the 30-day refund period, introductory pricing, 3-year warranty, free express shipping, and additional $100 rebate for HE-5 purchasers provided me with enough incentive and peace of mind to pull the trigger.

Also I found out that the weight of the HE-6 without the cable is 505 grams, not 550 grams as I had originally feared making it about 1.7 ounces lighter than the LCD-2. You know what they say, an ounce on your head is like a pound on your back lol.

My order is placed and I am allowing myself to get marginally excited. I hope I get one of the first 25.

I already have an EF5 but it's nice to see that combo deal is back as well. It's a very good hybrid SE amp for the additional $300.

I have a straight speaker tap adapter coming from a DIY'er, so I am glad that I don't have to pay for another one from HiFiMAN even though their new one seems more versatile. I am hoping to drive them with my WA22 anyways.

o2smile.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #594 of 21,879

Quote:
Well, about to head to work, so I went ahead and placed my order. Didn't want to risk them running out (25 in stock, 2 weeks til more). Can always add the impedance box and speaker tap cables later. Should have it tomorrow, unfortunately I've got a fairly bad cold atm, so my hearing isn't so good
frown.gif

Are you referring to the HE-6 when you say that you should have it tomorrow? How is that possible when it comes from China?

I am hoping mine will arrive next week sometime.

confused.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #596 of 21,879

An interesting story. Enjoy.

Quote:

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Nov 4, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #597 of 21,879

Quote:

Are you referring to the HE-6 when you say that you should have it tomorrow? How is that possible when it comes from China?

I am hoping mine will arrive next week sometime.

confused.gif

Maybe I'm wrong.. what speed is International Express? I thought it was like 1-2 days?

edit: OK according to USPS site Express International is 3-5 days, Global Express is 1-3 days. Got confused with domestic Express being next day service. Oh well, will give me time to get over my cold!
wink_face.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #599 of 21,879
In my experience it is under a week, but it also depends if customs is backed up and where the weekend falls. International Priority is closer to two weeks. Fang really pulled out all the stops on this one, I didn't even realize I got free shipping until after I paid and read his announcement. Also the $100 rebate makes me feel better regarding the depreciation on my HE-5.

Nov 4, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #600 of 21,879

Quote:

An interesting story. Enjoy.

I was honestly considering buying an HE6 until I read this. After there were quality control issues with the HE5 and LE, and you respond with a story on wiki instead of saying "We have improved ...", any confidence I had based on the loaner program immediately vanished. I also find it funny that other members here had to post the release date and price, but when they are released and someone says something that might detract from sales, you post right away for damage control. Idk how my text got put inside the quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back