HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jan 24, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #2,596 of 21,879

Quote:
I cut off the 1/8" end of a 1/4"Fx1/8"M adapter and wired it to the speaker terminals so I just plug in the hps. You can get one cheap.

They do need some burn in time to settle down and shine.

hrm that is a quick fix I did not think of... very tempting.

Didn't hear any changes with the LCD-2 and won't really be disappointed if I don't hear any with these. Just want to make sure they are getting "enough" before I start actively passing judgement.

Definitely worthy of flagship status though so far.

Anyways I am going to shut up and stop posting about a headphone I have had for an hour.

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2,597 of 21,879
I managed to get a pad off to look inside...

They are pretty fragile and could only get 3 of the 4 tabs back in... is there a trick to it or am I just really bad?

Thanks!

Jan 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2,599 of 21,879

Quote:
Quote:
I managed to get a pad off to look inside...

They are pretty fragile and could only get 3 of the 4 tabs back in... is there a trick to it or am I just really bad?

Thanks!

warranty voided

how is it voided lol? they provide a replacement pad...

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #2,600 of 21,879
I would email Fang and ask him what is the procedure for ear pad replacement so you can get it back on correctly. 

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2,602 of 21,879
And then post it for others who might need to know.

I've taken mine off and put them back on. You can place three of tabs under the rim pretty easy. The fourth I used a pair of hemostats to fold the last tab under the rim.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #2,603 of 21,879

Quote:

I've taken mine off and put them back on. You can place three of tabs under the rim pretty easy. The fourth I used a pair of hemostats to fold the last tab under the rim.

Will probably just use caution and a very thin/small screw driver

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #2,604 of 21,879
With regards to "burn-in" and brightness, it's likely to be real in the sense that the pads will compress a little bit and take on the shape of your head, bringing the drivers closer to your ears.  This will result in a "fuller" sound.

It's unlikely that the membranes and magnets themselves "burn-in", but the pad effect makes a lot of sense.

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #2,605 of 21,879

Quote:
Quote:

Will probably just use caution and a very thin/small screw driver

I actually did just that about 10 minutes ago but didn't want suggest it as it's a bit delicate.

I agree with the pad conditioning as that's the thing that changes with the K701.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #2,606 of 21,879
Mine started out pretty good and then after about 8 hours or a little more, got bright, then a little gritty and thin sounding. Nothing was changed in the chain. After around 30 hours they are back to sounding great and quite smooth with a lot of life. They are being driven by the 71B or the PB2 with no problem. The PB2 will drive them louder than I can handle and the sound does not compress and there is no loss in body or bass texture. Nice. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #2,607 of 21,879

Quote:
I cut off the 1/8" end of a 1/4"Fx1/8"M adapter and wired it to the speaker terminals so I just plug in the hps. You can get one cheap.

This is an odd wiring. common ground could pose issues. Do you have any photos of the rewiring?

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #2,608 of 21,879
I wish Head-Direct included a speaker pigtail connector with the HE-6 like they did with the demo HE-6 that was out on loan.  While these are certainly more efficient than the prototype, they certainly benefit from more power than the typical headphone amp.  I'm using a Rube Goldberg setup for running my HE-6 off my Yamaha speaker amp. 

A while back I had cut off the dual 3-pin XLR plugs from a balanced SR-325i cable, and re-terminated the phones as single ended for a buyer; But I'd kept the 4" cable remnant with plugs for later.  So I took that cable remnant with the dual XLR plugs and put banana plugs on the bare wires on the cut end.  I then hooked that up to my 55-watt Yamaha speaker amp.  I have a really nice 4-foot APS V3 dual 3-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR cable, so that I could connect all my 4-pin headphones into any amp with dual 3-pin XLR.  So I plugged that into the 4-pin XLR of the HE-6, and connected it to the adapter on the speaker terminals using a pair of female-female XLR connectors between the two male adapters.  I seems kinda excessive using this much stuff between the amp and headphones, but it works and sounds great I guess since the cable length in the cheap adapter is so short.

To extend the cable to reach my listening chair without having the cable pulled too tight, I plugged in a pair of 3 meter PS Audio XLR interconnects between the adapters and it sounded pretty much the same.  I was originally going to modify a spare n_maher built Mogami wire dual 3-pin to 4-pin adapter, by replacing the 3-pin XLR plugs with banana plugs so that the HE-6 could plug directly into that one adapter.  But this 1-foot cable is much too short to do anything other than sit on the floor next to my speaker amp (which sits along the wall between my speakers).  So I decided not to mod this adapter unless I get a decent 4-pin XLR extension cable to reach my listening chair.  What I really need to do is go back through this thread and find posts with links to vendors that sell speaker-to-4-pin-XLR pigtails, and see about getting one about 8 feet long.

All in all, I get much better dynamic range and effortless sound with the cheap 55-watt amp.  While my balanced SR-71b sounds better with the HE-6 than my other headphone amps, that combo is slightly brighter with them than the Yamaha amp, while the Yamaha amp sounds like a more powerful version of the EF5 but with slightly less bass.  The Yamaha results in a little less micro-detail and smaller soundstage than the SR-71b, but it's not bad for a $200 home theater amp.  I need to get a proper speaker adapter and spend more time listening before I can decide which combo I prefer, but in the end I may end up getting a Mini Tori amp like Skylab, in order to squeeze a little more performance out of the HE-6.  

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #2,609 of 21,879
I just received  my order of the he-6, and i couldn't help but noticing 2 big creases on the top of the headband.
There's also some smaller dents and quite a lot of glue.
Do you guys think its worth contacting head-direct about the issue?

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #2,610 of 21,879

Quote:
I just received  my order of the he-6, and i couldn't help but noticing 2 big creases on the top of the headband.
There's also some smaller dents and quite a lot of glue.
Do you guys think its worth contacting head-direct about the issue?

Well it is significant enough that you posted here. The crease was already in the leather, since it is a natural product. It should have been QC'd out. A lot of glue would seem to be something that would not represent what I believe Fang wants to deliver. You paid the money, nothing wrong with speaking up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back