HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 29, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #2,176 of 21,879
I'm not sure if I'm missing what you are saying, but the HE-6's's and T-1's do not sound anything alike. They are like day and night. The T-1's are 600Ω but drive like 300Ω, and are easier to drive than the HE-6 prodos.  However, they, in no way sound anything alike. I love the T-1's and sold my HD800's in order to keep them, but comparing them to the 6's is way out there. 
I know that we all hear differently, but the 2 headphones are apples and oranges. Please do not take offense to this, but I have own both, have spent quality intimate time with both and don't see this comparison at all.

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #2,177 of 21,879
In the thinking process of getting a HE-6 and searching for speaker amp, I also found quite a few nice monitor-sized passive speaker such as NHT Class 3, Ascend Sierras, or Era Design 5, etc.  It just occurs to me if those speakers (even cheaper than HE-6 or any currently flagship headphones) can sound as good (or even better than) HE-6 with an integrated amp, then the purpose of getting HE-6 seems to be defeated a little.

So I wonder anyone has heard of good small-sized speaker and HE-6 (or other flagship headphones) may provide some comparison or justification of each route.

Many thanks!!

Dec 29, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #2,178 of 21,879
... ultimate sound quality is not the usual reason one chooses headphones over speakers.  If that is why you choose headphones, I think you should re-evaluate ALL of your audio purchases.  If I could listen at all hours as loud as I wanted (and had a proper room for it) I probably wouldn't even own a good pair of headphones.

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #2,179 of 21,879
Certainly, I use headphone with my office and home systems for non-interfering purpose.  It just that after surveying currently claimed "top tier" headphone systems I start to wonder if it is time for me to start speaker system again (last time was when I was in college, long ago
biggrin.gif
).  I was kind of surprised to find out that with the money I spend in headphone system I may be able to get a good entry-level speaker system.  Hence, I wonder how does the sound of those entry systems (power amp + speaker < $1500) will compete with HE-6.  Do we top out what headphone system can provide or not?

Not trying to criticize headphone system (especially HE-6), just try to get a reality check with the ground truth since both route require full amp.  Thanks!!

Dec 29, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #2,180 of 21,879
I am finding I enjoy both the high end headphones and a speakers system. I now  have added a second system with my upgraded Taboo amp with headphone jack for the LCD2 and use the CSP-2 but now added Omega high efficiency speakers and I feel the only headphone time will now be in evenings when the kids and wife is home. I am also contemplating letting one reference can go now that the speakers are here as I really will not spend much time with my T1 any longer I feel at least thats the feeling today. I will see how I feel when my Omega speakers burn in to see if something goes. My Maggies are in my other room but the system by my PC is getting 98 percent of the time. I like both but for $600-$1000 you can get amazing speakers and my amps do both super well.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #2,182 of 21,879

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm missing what you are saying, but the HE-6's's and T-1's do not sound anything alike. They are like day and night. The T-1's are 600Ω but drive like 300Ω, and are easier to drive than the HE-6 prodos.  However, they, in no way sound anything alike. I love the T-1's and sold my HD800's in order to keep them, but comparing them to the 6's is way out there. 
I know that we all hear differently, but the 2 headphones are apples and oranges. Please do not take offense to this, but I have own both, have spent quality intimate time with both and don't see this comparison at all.

So how would you compare the two? I've been getting the impression the two are very similar from HF.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #2,184 of 21,879

Quote:
In the thinking process of getting a HE-6 and searching for speaker amp, I also found quite a few nice monitor-sized passive speaker such as NHT Class 3, Ascend Sierras, or Era Design 5, etc.  It just occurs to me if those speakers (even cheaper than HE-6 or any currently flagship headphones) can sound as good (or even better than) HE-6 with an integrated amp, then the purpose of getting HE-6 seems to be defeated a little.

So I wonder anyone has heard of good small-sized speaker and HE-6 (or other flagship headphones) may provide some comparison or justification of each route.

Many thanks!!

To hear what you can hear with the HE-6 on speaker based systems, you would have to spend some serious money, IMHO.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #2,185 of 21,879
Really?!  That is what I want to find out.  In the past, I have been told what you said.  Now, HE-6 actually prompt me to get some gear that may be dually used for both headphone and speaker system.  This gives some opportunity to test what I have been told.  I have no doubt that my current headphone system sound great and may be hard to beat with same amount of money.  And I really hope that HE-6 is another step up from what I heard from my current system.  It is just like opening up a temping door to another world.

Thanks for your sharing.  I would like to hear more sharing from people who have both HE-6 and speaker system.

Quote:
To hear what you can hear with the HE-6 on speaker based systems, you would have to spend some serious money, IMHO.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #2,186 of 21,879
Whenever you have the chance, try listening to a pair of Wilson Audio WATT monitors or any of their small speakers.

Quote:
Really?!  That is what I want to find out.  In the past, I have been told what you said.  Now, HE-6 actually prompt me to get some gear that may be dually used for both headphone and speaker system.  This gives some opportunity to test what I have been told.  I have no doubt that my current headphone system sound great and may be hard to beat with same amount of money.  And I really hope that HE-6 is another step up from what I heard from my current system.  It is just like opening up a temping door to another world.

Thanks for your sharing.  I would like to hear more sharing from people who have both HE-6 and speaker system.

Quote:

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #2,187 of 21,879
For anyone interested in giving the HE6's the power and headroom that they thrive on, check out the new Schiit Lyr hybrid headphone amp. Has 6 watts into 32 ohms and 4 watts for the HE6's impedance. Not out until March 1 but taking orders now. Great value at $449. I have my name down for one specifically as a hopeful match for Hifiman cans.

There is a forum running on Head-fi discussing specs etc.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back