HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #15,106 of 21,879
eek.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #15,111 of 21,879
Has anyone tried the HE6 with an Almarro 318B SET amp yet? (18w)

I am thinking of running it off the speaker taps with DIY cables but can i run it direct from the taps?

Thanks!

I tried a 318A in Tokio, listened to it from speakers and then with my HE-6 (specially lugged along the entire trip, connected to the speaker taps). It was nice but MUCH too light in the bass, both with speakers and the cans. Otherwise very nice, grain-free buth not overly liquid/syrupy and an excellent midrange but it's not a setup for those listening to rock or wagnerian stuff I'm afraid. From what I heard they acknowledged the issue with bass and on the B version that you're contemplating they used bigger output transformers and a bit more feedback. But I haven't heard it and this is definitely a case where you should try yourself before you buy. The feedback might or might not be a good thing. The amp looks glorious though, lovely finish with the wood. In Japan they had a couple of options available but I haven't seen these anywhere else.

Oh, it runs HOT, really hot. Iirc the box oroduces around 260W, that's power where heat emission as well as sticker price for the electricity may start to matter.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #15,112 of 21,879
My understanding is that it isn't a good idea to plug the HE6 directly into the speaker taps of a tube amp without the HiFiMan adapter box. Something about miss-matched resistance not being good for the tube amp - OK for SS - but bad for tubes.

Can anyone confirm?

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #15,113 of 21,879
Impedance mismatch is the problem. The extent to which it plays depends on the amplifier's topology (feedback, no feedback, the output transformer's winding ratio...). Sometimes it's a real issue,at other times it doesn't matter except for the power you'll inevitably lose into a load which is much higher than the 4 or 8 ohm expected by the amp. If you want to play it safe, hook up a coupleof resistors so the amp 'sees' 8 ohm. Lots of details on how to do it if you search.

Oct 13, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #15,114 of 21,879
Impedance mismatch is the problem. The extent to which it plays depends on the amplifier's topology (feedback, no feedback, the output transformer's winding ratio...). Sometimes it's a real issue,at other times it doesn't matter except for the power you'll inevitably lose into a load which is much higher than the 4 or 8 ohm expected by the amp. If you want to play it safe, hook up a coupleof resistors so the amp 'sees' 8 ohm. Lots of details on how to do it if you search.

OTL 
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #15,115 of 21,879
Could the HE-6 be run adequately by the speaker taps of an old Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amplifier?

Oct 13, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #15,116 of 21,879

Antipodes DXe -> Vega -> WA5 K1K port -> HE6

What's your HE6 rig?

Yulong DA8 -> 2x Nuforce HA200 monoblock -> stock HE6

I'm quite happy with this setup. Great sound stage, details like I've never heard before and the bass has a great snap without being overbearing. The first minute of Ziggy Stardust is simply amazing to hear. The HE6's are presently in member Armaegis' hands getting the triple mod, so I'm really eager to see what that does for my setup.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #15,117 of 21,879
Could the HE-6 be run adequately by the speaker taps of an old Arcam Alpha 8 integrated amplifier?
Yes, no problems using your Arcam. I think the 6s can handle a bit more power but if the power supply is good in the Arcam, you should like the results.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #15,118 of 21,879

Yes, no problems using your Arcam. I think the 6s can handle a bit more power but if the power supply is good in the Arcam, you should like the results.

Thanks for you reply.  I'm debating an upgrade into the high end territory and am being swayed by some towards the HE-6.  I was just worried about powering them but thought of my Arcam.  That saves a few pounds then!

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #15,119 of 21,879
Talking about power supply, I have a 20 plus year old receiver. Does it make sense to open the unit up and beef up the trans, maybe create an off-board power supply? Can these things be done? If so, what else needs to change in the amp? Thanks.

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #15,120 of 21,879
Talking about power supply, I have a 20 plus year old receiver. Does it make sense to open the unit up and beef up the trans, maybe create an off-board power supply? Can these things be done? If so, what else needs to change in the amp? Thanks.

Its the number of output devices (transistors) that dictate what transformer to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back