= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 29, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #20,431 of 21,171
Good for sharing your V2 experience, thanks!

Usually, who wants planars gets a powerful headamp (preferrably with discrete output buffer, but enough tests proved that BUF634/LM49600/TPA6120 are able to drive planars very well), who wants IEMs gets a very-low noise headamp (with 1X of gain perhaps, like O2).

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #20,434 of 21,171
Is it agreed that many think the HE560's are better than the Sundara's? I am looking for a neutral to bright planar.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #20,435 of 21,171
Is it agreed that many think the HE560's are better than the Sundara's? I am looking for a neutral to bright planar.
I haven’t heard Sundara, but I would not call 560s neutral. Rather, V-shaped. Highs are pretty energetic, mids seem a bit recessed, with strong, impactful bass. Recessed mids or something actually adds to the open, spacious stage. Probably the most open stage of any of my cans, although EFO w/ e-stat pads comes close, then HEKv2.

Dec 31, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #20,436 of 21,171
I haven’t heard Sundara, but I would not call 560s neutral. Rather, V-shaped. Highs are pretty energetic, mids seem a bit recessed, with strong, impactful bass. Recessed mids or something actually adds to the open, spacious stage. Probably the most open stage of any of my cans, although EFO w/ e-stat pads comes close, then HEKv2.

I dont think I'd call the HE560 v-shaped at all. I find the bass to be very linear, and extends deep down the sub-bass region which provides that legitimate subwoofer-like rumble. In my opinion, it doesnt have that typical mid-bass hump that V-Shape headphones have. It does have very slightly recessed mids though, and then a peak in the upper-mids, which some may find bright. I actually really think the headphone is awesome for what it is and I would generally classify it as neutral and leaning bright due to that slight increase in the upper mids.

I've listened to both of these before. The Sundara is a little more smoother and will have less extension in the low end and upper end from my experience. It's been 6 months since I got a good listen to the Sundara but thats from my mental and written notes. They generally have similar signatures but that's really the key differences. The HE560 has more details, while some may find it harsh (upper mids or bad recordings), while the Sundara will provide a smoother experience.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #20,437 of 21,171
I dont think I'd call the HE560 v-shaped at all. I find the bass to be very linear, and extends deep down the sub-bass region which provides that legitimate subwoofer-like rumble. In my opinion, it doesnt have that typical mid-bass hump that V-Shape headphones have. It does have very slightly recessed mids though, and then a peak in the upper-mids, which some may find bright. I actually really think the headphone is awesome for what it is and I would generally classify it as neutral and leaning bright due to that slight increase in the upper mids.

That is a perfect description to my ears. Fella, you should write reviews! (I know you do write reviews, but you definitely should as well.)

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #20,438 of 21,171
Wow, with that description I am beginning to wonder what's the need for the Ananda, at about 3 times the current price of the HE560?

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #20,439 of 21,171
Wow, with that description I am beginning to wonder what's the need for the Ananda, at about 3 times the current price of the HE560?

Typically you step up because you find little subtle differences in things like better resolution, Dynamics/transients, comfort/build, or very small differences in frequency response that fits your style more. You usually need the equipment and sources to pickup on these small little things but it's typically the case but not always. Price doesn't always mean better but sometimes it can.

That said, I want an Ananda heh.

The hifiman he560 was and still technically is $899 retail price but is almost always on sale below $450 nowdays since the replacement models like Sundara and Ananda are new.

Sidenote: I own the wood 2.5mm model not the v2/v3 metal headband one. I do have the Sundara headband given to me as a warranty replacement but I much prefer the original headband with 3D printed yokes over it.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #20,441 of 21,171
Hi everyone! I have a few questions: How bad is the build quality of the he560? And do you know which version is sold by Amazon? Do you think the headphones there are legit?
Thank you!

Hoy boy... what a question.

Here's my experience: I bought a 560 in 2016 from Adorama and it worked perfectly for more than a year, but was eventually stolen. I bought a replacement in December 2017, and it had a bit of driver buzz. Sent it back to wherever, replaced, no problem. Third one arrived in January 2017, rocking it ever since. No problems with it. Not even the snapped headband that happened to my 400i. Conclude from that set of facts what you will.

Here's what I conclude: HiFiMan makes good headphones. They send out a few lemons, like most companies, but they have been quick to fix the problem both times. Exceptional service in those cases. The build is overall very good. They don't give me the confidence of the tank-like build of the Audezes I own, but they do not feel cheap. Disregarding the drivers for a moment... I could break the HiFiMen with carelessness. I could break the Audezes with determination. And a hammer. The 560 sounds like a $900 headphone and competes well in that tier. But, it is built like a $400 headphone. Good, not great, definitely disappointing at its MSRP.

Buy from an authorized dealer. HiFiMan warranties are spotty otherwise and at this point in the price cycle, it won't save you much buying from someone else (unless you go used). Here's a list: http://hifiman.com/dealers Any authorized dealer will send you legit products. Buy with confidence from Amazon if you stick with the authorized dealers.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #20,442 of 21,171
Hi everyone! I have a few questions: How bad is the build quality of the he560? And do you know which version is sold by Amazon? Do you think the headphones there are legit?
Thank you!

Pretty much what @phthora said. But I bought mine on Adorama during the first fire sale they had. It's main issue was a bad batch of yokes (the part that connects the headband and the cups). The yokes would very easily snap near the center if you just looked at it wrong. Hifiman replaced mine extremely quick with a new headband -- within 2 days of my email to my doorstep. I was impressed, considering I hear people complain about them a lot. It definitely was not the case for me. They even sent me the newer metal design headband to try out as well complete with a little kit to install it. So I really have appreciated their support on it. Once you get a good headband, it's a really great headphone. There are 3D printed yokes available by a user on head-fi (pauldgroot) as well as I think some on the internet somewhere that you can build yourself to make it even more reliable. The newer headbands, using the old style, I believe has added metal reinforcement inside the band to help give it better durability and load distribution so it shouldn't snap anymore.

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #20,443 of 21,171
Thank you!
i own the older style with wood cups and the adorama style and personally the overall build quality of the adorama style is better then the wood ones. im not a huge fan of the newer style headband at first but if you gently give the arms a bit of a twist to allow for a bit of angle to the cups imo it makes a huge difference. if i had to keep only one of them though it would be the newer style because ive had the yokes that broke on me a couple times.i dont know specifically about the amazon units. and as far as being legit i guess it depends on who you buy them from via amazon. i dont think there are fake he-560' though or at least not that ive heard of.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #20,444 of 21,171
i own the older style with wood cups and the adorama style and personally the overall build quality of the adorama style is better then the wood ones. im not a huge fan of the newer style headband at first but if you gently give the arms a bit of a twist to allow for a bit of angle to the cups imo it makes a huge difference. if i had to keep only one of them though it would be the newer style because ive had the yokes that broke on me a couple times.

Any difference in sound? :)

Maybe I'll try twisting the metal band a bit. For reference, this is what it looked like on the older style wood cups + dekoni elite hybrid pads

P1020049.JPGP1020051.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #20,445 of 21,171
my wood ones have the older style headband the more angled one which im not a fan of. once i got the newer ones to sit properly on my ears the sound differences were almost non existent. maybe a touch less in the low end. but getting them to sit properly helped a lot. before that for me they did sound different. i dont think i was getting the proper seal that way. i use two pliers with rubber pieces on the teeth and grabbed the flat straight metal and then the middle of the "yoke" area. this way it did not twist the yoke section. just a minor twist made them sit better imo. i have 2 spare headbands also in case i damaged one trying it. but it was not hard.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back