= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #18,826 of 21,171
With all these recent complaints about rattling drivers, I'm curious to know if anyone has tried any of the Jerg mods to rectify the issue? I don't have the problem myself, but it seems some of the mods for sealing things up might do the job. Especially if you don't want the trouble of shipping back to China.

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #18,827 of 21,171
With all these recent complaints about rattling drivers, I'm curious to know if anyone has tried any of the Jerg mods to rectify the issue? I don't have the problem myself, but it seems some of the mods for sealing things up might do the job. Especially if you don't want the trouble of shipping back to China.

No I haven't and never will now, my one month old HE-560 went back today. The plastic cup supports on one side shattered for no reason. I wont be replacing it again (for a 3rd time), which is a shame as the sound was brilliant.

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #18,829 of 21,171
Maybe this explains why it's been discontinued... too many reliability issues.

I've wondered that myself. The metal gimbals on the Sundara point to an attempt to remedy one of the weaknesses of the 400i and 560, but then they made the planar diaphragm 80% thinner on the Sundara, which will certainly complicate their manufacturing process. If their driver issues are the result of poor manufacturing, it's hard to see how a thinner diaphragm will help with that.

Frankly, I think they are releasing new models because that is what they do. Their 'generations' of headphones seem to last about 4 years (big releases at 2010, 2014, and now late 2017), and it's about that time.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #18,830 of 21,171
Wow guys this is news for me I didn't know they discontinued the 560's I sure do love their sound, has anyone here heard or new Sandara's if how would you compare them to the 560's..enjoy

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #18,831 of 21,171
Well, after seeing a bunch of broken yokes this week on reddit and thinking, that won't happen to me - it happened to me. Heard a snap as I was putting on my headphones last night, then saw a hair line crack on a yoke. Then as I was examining it, the other side of the same yoke cracked too.

I've only had this thing for a week, but I sent Hifiman an email as well as Adorama. Both replied back. Mark from HM CS is going to send me a new headband and Adorama said they would refund and pay for shipping back. Sigh What to do? I really really enjoy this headphone, but this headband yoke is very poorly constructed.

I've currently have it held together using some epoxy in the crack, heat shrink around the damaged region, and electrical tape. Any thoughts? Maybe considering the Sundara since it's same price range and looks better built. I ordered Dekoni pads on massdrop recently too.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #18,833 of 21,171
Would it be possible to load a photo of the broken area ?

Here, same place I've seen others have issues recently. I did get confirmation my new headband should come Monday so I'll be looking forward to that.

IMG_20180130_223538.jpg

IMG_20180131_203225.jpg

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #18,835 of 21,171
@antdroid That's sad to hear.
Is the headband that easy to install?

Yea it should be. The joints where the headband yoke and cup attach just pop in and out. Dont over-exert force obviously or you may crack this fragile thing, but it should be easy to do. I did it to patch the broken sections

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #18,837 of 21,171
Here, same place I've seen others have issues recently. I did get confirmation my new headband should come Monday so I'll be looking forward to that.

Yes, that's exactly where mine broke, I could have repaired it I suppose, I did consider the CA and cotton wrapping method, but even at a great value price of nearly £400 I shouldn't have to do this. Enough is enough.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #18,838 of 21,171
Hey guys. Guess what? It happened to me. Within a week of getting them, I went to put the headphone on and as I was adjusting them, snap, there goes the headband yolk. And here's the kicker. I went to take of the driver on the other side and as I was wiggling out the post from the headphone, snap, the other side breaks too. I attempted to repair both sides with JB Kwikweld but neither held when I tried to put it back in this morning.

Any advice? I sent an email to hifiman and will email adorama as well. Ideally I'd like a higher quality headband but if it's gonna be the same crap that'll break again I'll just try to get a refund from Adorama.

Attachments

• 20180129_143356 (1).jpg
    20180129_143356 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #18,839 of 21,171
This issue with the snapping yokes seems to have popped up since the Adorama deal. I read tonnes of this thread prior to and since getting my 560's and don't recall anyone having this issue until now. That leads me to think that it's perhaps a bad batch with a manufacturing defect, or something along those lines. A replacement might rectify it... or, if they only have the bad run in stock, you might up the creek.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #18,840 of 21,171
This issue with the snapping yokes seems to have popped up since the Adorama deal. I read tonnes of this thread prior to and since getting my 560's and don't recall anyone having this issue until now. That leads me to think that it's perhaps a bad batch with a manufacturing defect, or something along those lines. A replacement might rectify it... or, if they only have the bad run in stock, you might up the creek.

Yea definitely could be a bad batch. I'm a plastics (composites/adhesives) engineer and I definitely can understand that. A small contaminant or a slight change in a mix ratio can totally screw up your batch of resin. I'm hoping the replacement is better, but we'll see... I'm already thinking of ways of reinforcing it in my head. The choice of plastic and it's density seems a bit weak for it's purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back