= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #18,721 of 21,175
Hi, lugnut. Indeed, I listened to Amiron at my local dealer's shop. Unfortunately, the set up was horrible, so I didn't like the sound at all. Amiron wasn' to be blamed for that. But, I got a rough picture of how Amiron sounds-recessed mids and a bit prominent highs. Can't say anything about the bass, because of the low qality gear. The thing is that I can order HE560 at a bit lower price, so 'm leaning towards them

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #18,722 of 21,175
Hi everybody! I'm seriously thinking of buying HE 560. So far, I've had a lot of headphones but all of them were dynamic. I've never had planars. From what I've read in this thread, I'm sure I'll be delighted with these cans since I tend to listen to a lot of jazz, fusion, classic etc. What I would like to know is the following; my gear is Arcam IrDAC + Asgard 2 and I don't plan to change it. Do you think it will be a proper match for HE560? BTW, ArcamIrDAC is a very good DAC with somewhat smooth sound, wide soundstage and great dynamics (for the price) and Asgard 2 is a rather neutral SS amplifier with 1.0 Watt - 50 ohms and output impedance - less than 2 ohms. I usually listen at moderate volumes, only if the recording is quiet I push it a bit more. I'll appreciate any comment on power and sound quality of this matching.
I just tried my HE560 on my bedroom setup (Modi2uber/Asgard2) and its pretty good but I rather use either my Lyr2 since the HE560 seems to sound better with a hybrid amp to me. I also like the headphone jack of my UD-301 with the HE560 since its a slightly warmer SS amp that pairs slightly better than the more neutral Asgard2.
HE560-HE400-Ypsilon.jpg
My modded HE400 on the left is much more dynamic and extended in both the highs and lows over the HE560 but lacks the smooth mids of the HE56 so its a matter of want is more important to the individual which they would prefer. The headphone on the right is a original Ypsilon build and the main reason I've started to sell off, trade, or give away some of my other headphones since its easy to drive, has a more fun sound than the HD650, HE560 and a few of my other headphones, very light, quite comfortable with the G-pads and is easily tuned.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #18,724 of 21,175
I´d definitely be interested in your comparison - quite familiar with the typical Beyerdynamic sound. By the way I also decided to order one from the recent sales. Very good deal even with the customs fees. HE560 is normally still ~1050 euros here. As for the sound I haven´t owned a planar magnetic since the original LCD 2 back in the day, so I don´t really know what to expect. The only Hifiman products I´ve owned are the RE-ZERO, RE-400 and now the RE-600. The HE-1000 I auditioned once impressed me enough to give these a try though (if these have anything in common with those I should be happy; plus I can always sell these on locally if they aren´t for me in the end).

They´ll be complementing my HD 800 S, so a more mellow sound is actually kind of what I´m looking for :)
Well to be honest I prefer the DT1990 atm. I usually prefer brighter sounding headphones, as I think I may have preferred the HE400i's frequency response over the HE560's just slightly. Yeah I know, some would say the HE560 is brighter".

The He560 is different than the HE400i in a few areas.

1. More bass.
2. More even/neutral mid-range
3. There's a treble peak somewhere that can sound a little sharp on the HE400i that sometimes shows up which isn't on the HE560.

The HE400i's had a gentle bump in the lower midrange that made vocals sound more natural to me. The HE560 moves the sound closer to that of the HD600, and overall less peaky, more mature sound.

HE560's added bass and tamed treble though brings in that more mellow sound.
In the end though I prefer the HE560's over the HE400i definitely since they overall sound a bit more refined, have great bass presence, and a fantastic midrange. These headphones sound pretty neutral to me.

I'm listening to the DT1990 and HE560 side by side right and I can't decide which I prefer.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #18,725 of 21,175
For$350, it's the current top deal for sure. I bought a new pair and had sold my old one, which I'd regretted.. until this sale anyways.

Jan 20, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #18,727 of 21,175
Well to be honest I prefer the DT1990 atm. I usually prefer brighter sounding headphones, as I think I may have preferred the HE400i's frequency response over the HE560's just slightly. Yeah I know, some would say the HE560 is brighter".

The He560 is different than the HE400i in a few areas.

1. More bass.
2. More even/neutral mid-range
3. There's a treble peak somewhere that can sound a little sharp on the HE400i that sometimes shows up which isn't on the HE560.

The HE400i's had a gentle bump in the lower midrange that made vocals sound more natural to me. The HE560 moves the sound closer to that of the HD600, and overall less peaky, more mature sound.

HE560's added bass and tamed treble though brings in that more mellow sound.
In the end though I prefer the HE560's over the HE400i definitely since they overall sound a bit more refined, have great bass presence, and a fantastic midrange. These headphones sound pretty neutral to me.

I'm listening to the DT1990 and HE560 side by side right and I can't decide which I prefer.
That's interesting that you find the treble less hot on the 560 than the 400i (most impressions I've read describe the 560 as "brighter"). I'm hoping that's the case bc I love my 400i but it is a bit fatiguing in the Highs and I can't quite put my finger on why

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #18,728 of 21,175
That's interesting that you find the treble less hot on the 560 than the 400i (most impressions I've read describe the 560 as "brighter"). I'm hoping that's the case bc I love my 400i but it is a bit fatiguing in the Highs and I can't quite put my finger on why

Well, the HE-560s are definitely cold sounding when compared to my Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE speakers that are nearfield in my desktop setup, which measure really flat above their tuning. There's a bit of treble boost in there on the 560s. Consequently, the HE-560 are a bit fatiguing to me.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #18,729 of 21,175
I always found they were a bit "edgy" and "bright" as well, amps used and other upstream stuff crucial.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #18,731 of 21,175
ANyone have any eq settings to tame the treble a bit and maybe boost the bass a little

The brightness is probably in the 5-8Khz range, at least it is for me, so experiment with EQing down that area of the audio spectrum by a few dB's until you get the right sound for your set of ears.

Be very careful boosting the bass though, when I tried I couldn't add much boost before I got distortion. The problem was, I suspect, with my amplifier it just couldn't provide enough current.

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #18,732 of 21,175
Have spent two weeks on location mixing and writing soundtrack stuff... Orchestral...largely strings and woodwinds... Using my batman 560s and a Mojo...

Clients LOVE the sound I'm getting. Amazing feedback.

For this job at least this is a magic combo.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #18,735 of 21,175
I have Roland Mobile UA-M10, can I pair it with HE560? I know the HE560 comes 1/4" plug connector, but l do have the converter (1/4" -> 3.5mm) cable that came with Sennheiser HD650 about a decade ago. Besides the cable conversion, is the UA-M10 a good DAC and is it have enough Amps to drive HE560 cans? and how about the other cans like LCD-2 or LCD-3 (just wondering)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back