= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 7, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #18,046 of 21,171
I hope you did not take me as being at all critical of your recommendations. I actually was just using it as a frame of reference to explain my replies prior to that. Meaning the post just happened to be handy.. :)

I had a Lyr 2 for a couple of weeks a while back and returned it. I thought the Ember was close enough that it was not worth the difference in price. Ember, for me, just a whole lot more bang for the buck!
Of course I have about 30 tubes for the Ember. Tubes can make all of the difference in these hybrid designs. All I had for the Lyr was stock tubes. Not knocking the Lyr... and again, the Ember might be more easily justified for purchase due to it being considerably closer to the price of the Modi 2 Uber. Of course @Mdraluck23, may have no financial constraints at all... that is why I asked.

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #18,047 of 21,171
Question for those running your headphone from speaker taps.

How do you deal with the noise problem? I tried on atleast three different speaker amps (Emotiva mini-x a100 being one of them) and all of them just hiss through headphones

I am using Speaker connectors to 4-pin XLR adapter currently. Is Hifiman HE adapter the solution?

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #18,048 of 21,171
Hissing is due to too much gain on the amp... you either get a speaker / HP resistor box Ala Robrinette (google it or search on Headfi)
Alternatively if you want to buy on EBay .. see two choices ..
A friendly note though I use Teo if the APPJ resistor boxes with my tube amps and for the HE560 it is perfect .. No hiss and good volume control range on the preamp or the software vol setting.. but for the higher sensitivity HD800, I still need to add a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor to make it work with my high gain Audio Note 300b monoblocs .. I also use a Audiopax KT88 low gain KT88 tube power amp .. For thus amp everything works just with the APPJ Boxes.. you should try the AIQIN Resistor box .. it says it can handle higher power amps ... But YMMV..

Attachments

• IMG_7791.PNG
    IMG_7791.PNG
    609.5 KB · Views: 0
Sep 7, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #18,049 of 21,171
Question for those running your headphone from speaker taps.

How do you deal with the noise problem? I tried on atleast three different speaker amps (Emotiva mini-x a100 being one of them) and all of them just hiss through headphones

I am using Speaker connectors to 4-pin XLR adapter currently. Is Hifiman HE adapter the solution?

The Emotiva mini ax-100 is 50 watts per channel .. but the He560 should work with the AIQIN resistor box ... search my postings.. u may still need to add a 10ohm 25-50 watt resistor in the signal (+ve) line if the mini ax-100 is really high gain .. I have posted on the Speaker Amp thread quite a bit on using amps on HPs.. have not blown my eardrums or my HPs yet.. the SQ is unmatched esp on my Two 300b tube monoblocks on my HD800.. like Woo Audio's monster tube Hp amp at a bargain... I already own both the AN and Audiopax tube amps so is FOC in my case
Good luck

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #18,050 of 21,171
G'day,

I've also got a question about amp pairing and will try to give some details to narrow things down a bit. TL;DR version is I'm currently looking at getting the Audio-gd NFB-1 amp and keeping my current D30 DAC (until I've a) got enough money to replace it and/or b) feel like it is holding me back.). Has anyone paired the NFB-1 amp with the 560 or have any recommendation as to whether or not it would be a good match?

========================
Longer version:

I've had my HE-560 for two weeks, coming from the HE-400S and trialing the M1060 (sent it back as the recessed highs just didn't sound good to my ears). I'm running them through a Topping D30/A30 stack and am quite happy, but feel like the high output impedance from the A30 (10ohms, so >1/8 of the 560 impedance) is compromising the sound somewhat. I demo'd the 560's through my Nexus 5 as a source through a Graham Slee Ultra Linear - quite the mismatch if you will, and there were a few details I noticed while demoing them that I haven't picked up on since getting them home. So between hearing them through a higher quality amp (much lower quality DAC) and running them through an amp wit non-ideal output impedance, I'm on the hunt for an upgrade.

I've been doing a lot of reading and based on my requirements I've resolved to purchase a stand alone amp for now and look at upgrading my DAC later. Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Audio-gd NFB-1 amp, but am holding off until I've at least demo'd the 560's with some more higher end gear (preferably with a decent DAC, if not my own). I've read a bunch of threads including this one, the NFB-1 and Jotunheim and have come to the understanding that the NFB-1 amp is smooth and neutral and would be one of the best overall amps for <$1000. I've read on a few other forums/reddit of people who've a/b'd the Jot and NFB-1, but have struggled to find out if anyone's had experience with the 560's. Unless people have heard it and would scream 'STAY AWAY' I think I'll go for it. I'm partly curious to try out a balanced amp, even if my source isn't balanced, I can fix that later. I feel like this is a great amp to future-proof myself with, given it's versatility.

Worth mentioning, I can't really see myself considering any stand alone amp >$500USD right now. I've gotta keep things realistic, especially given how much I'm likely to appreciate any difference.

Cheers!

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #18,051 of 21,171
I tried the Jot that my friend had but it was not an amp I would suggest for the HE560, just a little to bright for the HE560 but great for the HD650. Haven't heard the NFB-1 but have heard the Master 9 and 11, both are great with the HE560 but way out of your price range. If your budget is $500 and you really want to go balanced I would look for a used Liquid Carbon, a better match for the HE560 than the Jot IMO.

As for going balanced I think it depends on the amp, I'd rather have a good SE amp versus a mediocre balanced amp and while many love the Jot since it one of the cheapest amps that have a balanced output I would rather have a SE amp like the Ember or Polaris that has adjustable output impedance since I think the output impedance has more of an effect on how the amp pairs with the headphone than the difference between balanced/SE connection. Another reason is finding decent balanced cables which usually cost more than SE cables, even if you can build your own like I do.

@mandrake50, no offence on my part to your prior post, we're good.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #18,052 of 21,171
The Magni 2 Uber will drive them well. Tbh, as far as power is concerned I prefer the power output of the Magni 2 Uber over the Gustard H10, which has rather weak amount for an amp of its specs (even though people here praise it). The amp is nothing special but the X12 dac is another story but back to the your question. With the Focus pads (non "a" version) which are the ones your 560s will ship with, I found myself preferring the sound of the Magni 2 Uber over the Gustard, With The Focus A pads (aka the preproduction model that I happened to order on accident) it sounded a bit dry and with that I find myself liking the Gustard a little bit better. I would personally try your Magni 2 Uber with your 560s and see how you like them. Amp wise it's solid enough, I can speak from personal experience.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #18,053 of 21,171
G'day,

I've also got a question about amp pairing and will try to give some details to narrow things down a bit. TL;DR version is I'm currently looking at getting the Audio-gd NFB-1 amp and keeping my current D30 DAC (until I've a) got enough money to replace it and/or b) feel like it is holding me back.). Has anyone paired the NFB-1 amp with the 560 or have any recommendation as to whether or not it would be a good match?

========================
Longer version:

I've had my HE-560 for two weeks, coming from the HE-400S and trialing the M1060 (sent it back as the recessed highs just didn't sound good to my ears). I'm running them through a Topping D30/A30 stack and am quite happy, but feel like the high output impedance from the A30 (10ohms, so >1/8 of the 560 impedance) is compromising the sound somewhat. I demo'd the 560's through my Nexus 5 as a source through a Graham Slee Ultra Linear - quite the mismatch if you will, and there were a few details I noticed while demoing them that I haven't picked up on since getting them home. So between hearing them through a higher quality amp (much lower quality DAC) and running them through an amp wit non-ideal output impedance, I'm on the hunt for an upgrade.

I've been doing a lot of reading and based on my requirements I've resolved to purchase a stand alone amp for now and look at upgrading my DAC later. Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Audio-gd NFB-1 amp, but am holding off until I've at least demo'd the 560's with some more higher end gear (preferably with a decent DAC, if not my own). I've read a bunch of threads including this one, the NFB-1 and Jotunheim and have come to the understanding that the NFB-1 amp is smooth and neutral and would be one of the best overall amps for <$1000. I've read on a few other forums/reddit of people who've a/b'd the Jot and NFB-1, but have struggled to find out if anyone's had experience with the 560's. Unless people have heard it and would scream 'STAY AWAY' I think I'll go for it. I'm partly curious to try out a balanced amp, even if my source isn't balanced, I can fix that later. I feel like this is a great amp to future-proof myself with, given it's versatility.

Worth mentioning, I can't really see myself considering any stand alone amp >$500USD right now. I've gotta keep things realistic, especially given how much I'm likely to appreciate any difference.

Cheers!

I seriously considered both those amps prior to my Violectric purchase. At that point I already had a Matrix m-stage hpa-3 balanced amp, but was looking to upgrade, hoping for a more precise sound-stage and more detail at low volume.

To me the Jot seemed like a side grade from the Matrix -- more impact/punch but less precision in the sound stage. It also seemed a little bright, especially paired with my Sonica, although I seem to be a minority of one in that opinion among reviewers of this amp. Maybe overall just a bit more 'solid-state' sounding. Also, the 'warm-up' time really bugged me.

I didn't audition the Audio-gd. With +16 dB gain which isn't switchable, I felt I wouldn't be able to use it with my IEMs. (Adjustable gain makes that a non-issue with the Jot). Also, it has all that pre-amp functionality which I just don't need. All that aside, both amps seem to hold resale value well based on what I've seen here and on Audiogon. So if you pick up either one, you won't take a beating if you change your mind.

As an alternative, may I suggest the Matrix m-stage hpa-3? While I like the Violectric better, the difference is pretty small. Used, you can find it around $350ish. Not as powerful as the other 3 (Violectric, NFB-1 and especially the Jot) but no problem driving the 560s.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #18,054 of 21,171
You should be able to answer the question as to whether it is a good pairing yourself soon, right?
That would be the best thing to do. You probably don't really want other's opinions to influence your initial impressions.

How much do you want to spend on an amp? Without knowing that you will have people telling you to get some megabucks level amps.

Thanks for the replies, I was just curious at a glance what people were using. I have HD650's right now, so I have no way to compare.

Just curious what those who had been listening to a potential HE-560/Magni 2 Uber thought, or what people considered good pairings in the current market, opposed to old threads.

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #18,055 of 21,171
Well, you got lots of thoughts on that. If it is not because you are wanting to buy something immediately and for the purposes of this discussion price is not a major consideration, I can add one.
I got a Burson Conductor V2 Plus fairly recently. I really like it with the 560, but really everything I have tried it with so far.
(HEK V1, Aeon, 560, 400i, PM-3, HD650 and HD600). It is really an open and detailed sound, with just a wonderful low end.
Also, I put a set of the Burson V6 opamps into the Gustard H10. First listening was quite positive. They seem to make the H10 lean much more towards dead neutral with a bit of added sparkle.
Quite nice with the 560. Seems to add some body, while still allowing the detail to shine.

Again the Project Ember is very nice with the 560 as well. With a couple of 6J5G Visseaux single triodes in it, it adds a bit of the tube sound, but is still quite open and detailed. A good match for the HE 560 for my tastes. If you go down the tube rabbit hole, it can be costly though.

Do you plan to pick up a set of 560s? If so, I would be interested to read what you think of it in combination with the Magni 2.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #18,057 of 21,171
picked upp my 560 today and I did not have any sound in my right driver. tested them in serveral phono jack's. No sound. Changed the cable, No sound. Then I opened the grill. Could notice anything strange with the soldering. Suddenly the sound did come back . what the heck happened here. :)

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #18,059 of 21,171
picked upp my 560 today and I did not have any sound in my right driver. tested them in serveral phono jack's. No sound. Changed the cable, No sound. Then I opened the grill. Could notice anything strange with the soldering. Suddenly the sound did come back . what the heck happened here. :)
Might be a bad solder joint some where, can you send them back?
Anyone use the HE 560 with a portable amp? Cheers
I have a friend who used to use a Hugo with the HE560 but only as a desktop solution due to space limitations. To me it was a great pairing since the Hugo is a touch on the warm side to me which goes great with the slightly bright nature of the HE560.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back