= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 2, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #18,031 of 21,171
These are the values I posted back then, but I modified them in the meantime. This is what I'm using right now:

Please be aware that everyone's hearing is different, depending on head and ear geometry, pads, age, preferences and a gazillion plus one other things.

Thank you so much for posting your eq settings. Have you done any other modifications or pad change apart from eq to your hp's?

Also, when I'm looking at the eq settings, after 11khz, it says 6 khz in the image. (The last set of values) Is it supposed to be 16khz?

I'm planning to take this as the base, and then proceed from there. May I also know which amp you are using with these hps

Sep 2, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #18,032 of 21,171
Thank you so much for posting your eq settings. Have you done any other modifications or pad change apart from eq to your hp's?

Also, when I'm looking at the eq settings, after 11khz, it says 6 khz in the image. (The last set of values) Is it supposed to be 16khz?

I'm planning to take this as the base, and then proceed from there. May I also know which amp you are using with these hps
I have done no other modifications.

I'm currently using a Corda Jazz fed by my computer. I have also used these hps with a Topping NX1 fed by a (rockboxed) Sansa Clip Zip. The latter is not something I would recommend, but for me it worked flawlessly at the volume levels that I prefer. Generally spoken, an amp should not have any audible tonal effects except maybe at the very ends of the frequency spectrum. Even then the effect should be marginal compared to what an EQ does. Of course the amp needs to be properly designed and built and able to deliver the power output that is needed without audible distortion. These hps have a very flat impedance curve, so even a higher than normally desirable output impedance shouldn't do much harm.

The boost at 6 kHz was the last one I added, so it ended up on the right side. Due to my age, I can hardly remember what 16 kHz sounds like. Therefore I would never boost the upper treble beyond, say 12 or 13 kHz.

It is very unlikely that my settings will be ideal for you. You will need to use sine sweeps to check for the peaks and dips that you actually hear. Then of course listen to real music (a variety of genres would be ideal) and play with some values or add some more to find the right tonal balance for you. If you want to try other modifications (like pads), it's best to do these before you begin your EQ journey or else you might have to start it all over.

Oh, and don't forget to apply negative pregain (-8 dB or so for the above settings) to avoid clipping of the digital signal.

You may also want to have a look at the EQ settings other headfiers posted on this thread and compare.

Good luck! (This is also something you will need...)

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #18,033 of 21,171
I have done no other modifications.

I'm currently using a Corda Jazz fed by my computer. I have also used these hps with a Topping NX1 fed by a (rockboxed) Sansa Clip Zip. The latter is not something I would recommend, but for me it worked flawlessly at the volume levels that I prefer. Generally spoken, an amp should not have any audible tonal effects except maybe at the very ends of the frequency spectrum. Even then the effect should be marginal compared to what an EQ does. Of course the amp needs to be properly designed and built and able to deliver the power output that is needed without audible distortion. These hps have a very flat impedance curve, so even a higher than normally desirable output impedance shouldn't do much harm.

The boost at 6 kHz was the last one I added, so it ended up on the right side. Due to my age, I can hardly remember what 16 kHz sounds like. Therefore I would never boost the upper treble beyond, say 12 or 13 kHz.

It is very unlikely that my settings will be ideal for you. You will need to use sine sweeps to check for the peaks and dips that you actually hear. Then of course listen to real music (a variety of genres would be ideal) and play with some values or add some more to find the right tonal balance for you. If you want to try other modifications (like pads), it's best to do these before you begin your EQ journey or else you might have to start it all over.

Oh, and don't forget to apply negative pregain (-8 dB or so for the above settings) to avoid clipping of the digital signal.

You may also want to have a look at the EQ settings other headfiers posted on this thread and compare.

Good luck! (This is also something you will need...)

Thanks. I had asked regarding the amp, because if the amp you were using was not neutral or known to have particular characteristic, the eq settings may reflect that, as well.

Unfortunately, I was able to get only two eq settings posted so far, including yours. I'll probably target harman response curve and then listen to test songs list, to get an idea. But, the fact that some people have already spent a while tuning the hp's to their preference means that it would make sense for me to give those a try. I'm not planning to do mods, those are last resort. Pad change most likely I'll not do now, looking at the responses.

EDIT:
This was the other EQ setting which I have seen in this thread:
+2db @ 1800Hz, Q=1.0

-4db @ 3800Hz, Q=1.0

-2db @ 8500Hz, Q=0.8

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #18,035 of 21,171
You should be able to answer the question as to whether it is a good pairing yourself soon, right?
That would be the best thing to do. You probably don't really want other's opinions to influence your initial impressions.

How much do you want to spend on an amp? Without knowing that you will have people telling you to get some megabucks level amps.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #18,037 of 21,171
I've searched and found lots of old threads, is the Magni 2 Uber I just purchased a good pairing?

What are some of the go-to amps for the HE560?

I've been very happy with my Violectric 280 driving the 560s.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #18,038 of 21,171
I've searched and found lots of old threads, is the Magni 2 Uber I just purchased a good pairing?

What are some of the go-to amps for the HE560?
Agree with @mandrake50 , only you can decide if it a good pairing and the only way to see if there are better pairing is to try your HE560 on other gear.
But it you want suggestion as to what other are using the suggestions by @jaxz and @LCMusicLover are good choices. Most would suggest a amp that is either neutral or just a bit on the warmer side. I have a Lyr2 which is pretty good, other amps that I've heard that pair well with the HE560: HA-501, G-109, V-281, Liquid Glass, Liquid Carbon, EC Balancing Act, Project Polaris, DarkStar, Hugo, and Rag

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #18,039 of 21,171
Those are all good choices, but I hate to start off with things that the requestor is never going to buy due to budget constraints. I loved the Cavalli Liquid Gold with the 560, but I had to let it go. I simply could not justify the expenditure. If the Modi 2 Uber was the first choice, this may suggest a more limited budget. Start talking Hugo or Ragnorak and things are getting into the relatively pricy realm ( to me, but certainly compared to the Modi). But everything in that list is considerably more costly than that unit.

One that I liked that will not break the bank is the Gustard H10. A tube option that is not too costly, but also is one of my choices for the HE560 would be the Garage 1217 Project Ember V2. But every time I mention any thing with tubes, $$$ alarms go off in my head..

:triportsad: (my wallet says)

Anyway, it was not that I did not want to be helpful, but it always has hurt my feelings when people start recommending hardware that I can never afford...or at least justify. Better to know the target price range first.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #18,040 of 21,171
+1 for comments by DavidA and Mandrake.

I was looking for a used Liquid Carbon for $500-600 until I got a ridiculously good deal on my Violectric ($875). But part of my decision-making was that I wanted to go fully balanced out of my Sonica DAC.

I will add that my 560s sound great out of my portable stack, FiiO x5iii ==> AlgoRhythm Duet as well -- plenty of power and very musical with great soundstage. Not as detailed, but close with similar tonality.

Sep 7, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #18,041 of 21,171
So what is the Modi 2 Uber for ???

Which Violectric?
Just curious.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #18,042 of 21,171
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #18,043 of 21,171
Nice !! A friend had one and I really liked it.

And sorry... got you (@LCMusicLover ) mixed up with the OP..

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #18,044 of 21,171
@mandrake50, agree that my recommendations are a little on the pricy side but I tried to give a range from the Polaris/G109 up to the Darkstar/Liquid Glass. Agree that the Liquid Gold is an impressive amp and like the Liquid Glass made any headphone I hooked up to it sound about as good as I've heard them. Funny you mention the Ember since I have one but didn't list it as a good pairing for the HE560, I just prefer the Lyr2 with the HE560 over the Ember and its a preference to the tone

@LCMusicLover that is a great deal for the V280.

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #18,045 of 21,171
@LCMusicLover that is a great deal for the V280.

Yep, sniped it on EBay at the minimum price. I was shocked to see it sitting there with no bids and I was on pins & needles worrying that the seller might refuse the sale until he shipped.

I've been lucky lately -- got a discount on an open-box Sonica, used AlgoRhythm Duet for $175, and the 560s came down to $499 just when I was looking.

Of course my wallet might disagree about the whole lucky thing. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back