= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 27, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #17,476 of 21,175
I picked up these headphones around Christmas time and I like them so far. However, the earpads seem a bit weird and I feel that they could be built better. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Lawton Angle Pads w/the HE560 (how they sound, fit, how sweaty are they, etc)?

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #17,477 of 21,175
They're definitely not a Vegan pad. Lol. Focus-a pads for me are where it's at though.
Have you tried a grill mod yet?
I picked up these headphones around Christmas time and I like them so far. However, the earpads seem a bit weird and I feel that they could be built better. Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Lawton Angle Pads w/the HE560 (how they sound, fit, how sweaty are they, etc)?

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #17,479 of 21,175

They're definitely not a Vegan pad. Lol. Focus-a pads for me are where it's at though.
Have you tried a grill mod yet?

I'm aware. I've read about the grill mod but I haven't tried it yet.

Focus A pads and the grill mod, and a tube hybrid amp (Sunrise III and Ember II with the right tubes)... got me a lot closer to liking the FR of the 560. Sealing the pads/mounting rings to the cup was also helpful for the low end.

I am not in any position to comment on the comfort level of the pads for you, but I get long term comfort from the Focus A pads. They come with the correct rings and are easy to fit because of this. The cost is relatively low compared to other pads.

Jan 29, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #17,480 of 21,175
Focus A pads and the grill mod, and a tube hybrid amp (Sunrise III and Ember II with the right tubes)... got me a lot closer to liking the FR of the 560. Sealing the pads/mounting rings to the cup was also helpful for the low end.

I am not in any position to comment on the comfort level of the pads for you, but I get long term comfort from the Focus A pads. They come with the correct rings and are easy to fit because of this. The cost is relatively low compared to other pads.

Yeah. I have the FocusPad-A's that came with them. Placed my order with Lawton, so I guess I'll post to say how good/bad these pads are.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #17,482 of 21,175
I've had my He-560s for the better part of 2 years, and today, the headband finally broke. I'm not exactly handling these with utmost care so I'm not totally surprised and bummed about it. 

My question is, has anyone dealt with fixing or replacing the headbands? I've already emailed Hifiman customer support about purchasing a replacement and just waiting for them to reply,
but I've read in a thread somewhere that they don't sell headbands separately anymore. hopefully its just headbands from older models. fingers crossed.

Jan 29, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #17,484 of 21,175
  Has anyone had any luck repairing the pads that come with the HE560?  My 2nd pair has come unglued just like the 1st pair.  

I use hot glue

I've had my He-560s for the better part of 2 years, and today, the headband finally broke. I'm not exactly handling these with utmost care so I'm not totally surprised and bummed about it. 

My question is, has anyone dealt with fixing or replacing the headbands? I've already emailed Hifiman customer support about purchasing a replacement and just waiting for them to reply,
but I've read in a thread somewhere that they don't sell headbands separately anymore. hopefully its just headbands from older models. fingers crossed.

Please post back about the headband.  I was going to buy a HE-350 from Massdrop just to have a spare headband after reading that they don't sell the headbands anymore.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #17,485 of 21,175
  I use hot glue

Please post back about the headband.  I was going to buy a HE-350 from Massdrop just to have a spare headband after reading that they don't sell the headbands anymore.

According to Fang in the Edition 6 thread, the pricing/handling of spare parts-hassle was a mistake, and they should be available for the old prices.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #17,486 of 21,175
After nearly two years I have regrettably come to the decision of selling my Hifiman HE-560s. I've come to really enjoy the sound on these headphones, took them to my local Headfi meet and happened to prefer the sound signature to nearly all the others I heard there. The issue for me is the longevity of these headphones, I bought new earpads some months ago due to the seams on my previous ones opening up (revealing the foam insider) and within the last week I've noticed that the new set are coming undone just like the first pair. Issues like these makes me question the quality of the headphone ( or products from China in general), a week before this my Gustard Dac X12 that I've had for probably about half a year now is outputting static noises every now and then when I have a listen. This has forced me to go back to my Schiit Stack (I'll soon be replacing the Gustard with the Joutenheim if I can ever get the Gustard issue resolved).  I've known of a few people who have had quality control issues before (some within this thread), that along with the fact that the owner of Hifiman has gone money crazy means I no longer have faith in this headphone and the brand as a whole. With that said, I'm looking for a new set of headphones (ones that'll be upgrade in sound and not have me questioning the longevity. The Focal Elear came to mind but the not so great treble extension takes it off my list, the HD800S came to mind as a solid all rounder.... I was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison between the sound of the HD800S (aka the new ones) and the 560s which I know the majority of us in this thread are quite familiar with. Thanks in advance.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #17,487 of 21,175
@ZekeAdebayo, I heard a friends HD-800S a few months ago and liked it enough and its different enough from my HD-800 to consider getting one in the future but I wouldn't call it a all rounder.  While its less picky with amps than the HD-800 you still need to put some consideration into the amp of choice.

If QC and longevity is a concern then I haven't seen very many issues with any of the Sennheisers from the HD-600 on up and they are all quite modular so repairs are quite easy.

My HE-560 is going on 3 years and haven't changed the pads yet and they still look new, but they are not used everyday either and my son who is in college has his HE-560 is going on 3.5 years and is still in great shape with the original pads and his is used almost every day.

If you can DIY then you might want to look at a Ypsilon S2 build, about $300-400 materials and no need for amps.  They don't have the sound stage of a HD-800/S but for the genres of music that I listen to with them its not really important and the sound signature is much more musical IMO.

Feb 1, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #17,489 of 21,175
I heard the Original briefly at the Philadelphia meet, very nice sounding ones, open, detailed.

Feb 1, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #17,490 of 21,175
  After nearly two years I have regrettably come to the decision of selling my Hifiman HE-560s. I've come to really enjoy the sound on these headphones, took them to my local Headfi meet and happened to prefer the sound signature to nearly all the others I heard there. The issue for me is the longevity of these headphones, I bought new earpads some months ago due to the seams on my previous ones opening up (revealing the foam insider) and within the last week I've noticed that the new set are coming undone just like the first pair. Issues like these makes me question the quality of the headphone ( or products from China in general), a week before this my Gustard Dac X12 that I've had for probably about half a year now is outputting static noises every now and then when I have a listen. This has forced me to go back to my Schiit Stack (I'll soon be replacing the Gustard with the Joutenheim if I can ever get the Gustard issue resolved).  I've known of a few people who have had quality control issues before (some within this thread), that along with the fact that the owner of Hifiman has gone money crazy means I no longer have faith in this headphone and the brand as a whole. With that said, I'm looking for a new set of headphones (ones that'll be upgrade in sound and not have me questioning the longevity. The Focal Elear came to mind but the not so great treble extension takes it off my list, the HD800S came to mind as a solid all rounder.... I was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison between the sound of the HD800S (aka the new ones) and the 560s which I know the majority of us in this thread are quite familiar with. Thanks in advance.

The 560's and 800S are my current headphones right now.  I bought the 560's around September last year and fell in love with the sound.  Like you, I really wanted to hear the 800S's and found a deal on a pair and got those a few months later.  I don't dislike my 560's at all, but in my opinion the 800S does everything better.  Soundstage is better with the 800S and I enjoy listening to them more overall.  Is it worth twice the price of the 560's?  Probably not, but to my ears they were better enough that I felt the higher price was justified.  

I haven't had my 560's long enough to experience any problems with the pads, although I have seen several people on here say they start coming apart after a few months.  I've spent a considerable amount of time with the 560's on my head and I have loved them...but I love the 800S's quite a bit more.  I've considered selling the 560's but I think they make a good compliment to the 800S that I'll probably keep them.  I'm not sure what kind of music you prefer, but I listen to rock/metal/jazz/classical/acoustic/instrumental and I think the 800S excels at these types of music.  I have listened to some EDM and I think they handle that genre great as well, but I don't listen to enough of it to say that definitively.  

If you can afford the upgrade I think you'll quite pleased.  I'm pairing the 800S with a bottlehead crack w/speedball and I feel it drives them great.  Here's a picture of my current setup.  We just moved into a new house so I'm still trying to find a suitable listening spot, but this is working for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back