= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 25, 2017 at 4:22 AM Post #17,461 of 21,171
Is there a consensus on which type of tube amps work well with the HE-560 ? And does someone know why sometimes we hear that this or that amp is not good for planars, is there a technical explanation or is it really subjective ?

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #17,462 of 21,171
I'd agree on mowing the lawn with open cans, not a good idea. My Etymotic 4P's in ears are the best I've tried for that.
I like my MicroZOTL2 for the 560 (and for the HEK). I also had good results with the Liquid Carbon and the RSA-HR2.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #17,463 of 21,171
  Is there a consensus on which type of tube amps work well with the HE-560 ? And does someone know why sometimes we hear that this or that amp is not good for planars, is there a technical explanation or is it really subjective ?

Hybrid tube amps work well with the HE-560 while OTL does not.

The technical reason is OTL amps are designed for higher impedance headphones like the HD-800 and T1 while most hybrid tube amps have relatively low output impedances which pair better with the lower impedance of most planar headphones.  Not the full reason since I'm not a electrical engineer or designer of amps but maybe others with more knowledge can give a better explanation.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #17,464 of 21,171
I'd agree on mowing the lawn with open cans, not a good idea. My Etymotic 4P's in ears are the best I've tried for that.
I like my MicroZOTL2 for the 560 (and for the HEK). I also had good results with the Liquid Carbon and the RSA-HR2.

I read the absolute sound article on these and they are highly regarded. I'm still amazed that they get this result with only 1W output. What is your complete configuration with the Microzotl2?
My main grief is only one RCA output behind the HAP-S1 which I already have running into my PrimaLuna and out to speakers. I know I can get splitter RCA adaptors to run both, I'm just Leary of that. It looked like RCA was the only input. The HAP-S1 has a great DAC so maybe I'm fine with that going in.

Jan 25, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #17,465 of 21,171

I read the absolute sound article on these and they are highly regarded. I'm still amazed that they get this result with only 1W output. What is your complete configuration with the Microzotl2?
My main grief is only one RCA output behind the HAP-S1 which I already have running into my PrimaLuna and out to speakers. I know I can get splitter RCA adaptors to run both, I'm just Leary of that. It looked like RCA was the only input. The HAP-S1 has a great DAC so maybe I'm fine with that going in.

Right now (it's in flux) I use the ZOTL2 with my PC...JRiver (whatever the latest is), Geek Out Signature Edition, LH Labs Revive. Have been using the LTS LTA (replaced their original switching power supply, which was fine, but the LPS is better), currently evaluating a TOTL LPS, Illuminati from Mojo Audio, which is in the system at present. Also did some tube rolling, which does change the sound a bit (it is fine in stock form, though).

(as for @DavidA's description of OTL amps, that is spot on from what I've read, have no engineering knowledge either. The ZOTL, though, is an OTL that uses radio waves is some way that is beyond me to reduce the output impedance, getting rid of this OTL problem).

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #17,468 of 21,171
My bifrost and Lyr came in. I am a bit cynical when it comes to amps and kind of believe that one class a amp isnt all that different from another. Man was I wrong. The Lyr is so much more suited to the he560 than my old amp. It also confirms that I do still love harmonic distortion. That warm smooth sound really takes some of the harshness out of these cans. They're definitely keeps. Listened to nearly every pavement album back to back and it's never sounded better.

I'm just tickled pink and I can't wait to tube roll.

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #17,469 of 21,171
My bifrost and Lyr came in. I am a bit cynical when it comes to amps and kind of believe that one class a amp isnt all that different from another. Man was I wrong. The Lyr is so much more suited to the he560 than my old amp. It also confirms that I do still love harmonic distortion. That warm smooth sound really takes some of the harshness out of these cans. They're definitely keeps. Listened to nearly every pavement album back to back and it's never sounded better.

Can I ask what was your old amp ?

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #17,470 of 21,171
thank you for all the reaction to my questions and ideas, after a month Listening at my mojo and he560, I am very satisfied with the sound. In the beginning it was not really good but now Wow, I'm very happy with it

meanwhile we keep this setup, we will consider saving for a really big update. amp and dac.
I'll look to improve the cables for power and data (USB Ipad to Mojo).
And a headphone cable from Mojo to Hifiman 560.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #17,471 of 21,171

If you like the stock tubes in the Lyr then you will be in for a treat when you start to roll some of the better tubes.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #17,472 of 21,171
  Can I ask what was your old amp ?

It was a China made Tube/MOSFET hybrid called the FEEL HP 200SE. It was a great amp for my k702. I loved it it however is a too dark for my he560's. I bought these cans because I started listening to rock again rather than purely live recordings of classical music and I was sick of grados' sibilence 

I'm perfectly happy with the Lyr/bifrost. The Lyr was used and came with 4 sets of tubes and I have a around 5 sets of tubes from my FEEL amp. Rolling tubes is fun. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #17,473 of 21,171
  It was a China made Tube/MOSFET hybrid called the FEEL HP 200SE. It was a great amp for my k702. I loved it it however is a too dark for my he560's. I bought these cans because I started listening to rock again rather than purely live recordings of classical music and I was sick of grados' sibilence 

I'm perfectly happy with the Lyr/bifrost. The Lyr was used and came with 4 sets of tubes and I have a around 5 sets of tubes from my FEEL amp. Rolling tubes is fun. 

Does this amp use 6DJ8 and all compatible tubes? Not much info on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back