= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 10, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #16,261 of 21,179
  Good to hear!

It's the only amp I've owned so not really sure how it stacks up to everything else out there but I love it. My remaining qualm is mostly the customer service aspect. One thing I like about Schiit is they are very present in this community and offer a much better warranty and less expensive/risky shipping as opposed to MHDT. Anyone worked with their customer service? It's a desktop DAC so I'm not too worried about it, but it's nice to have more convenient support as well.

Agree with you about warranty and customer support issues with buying from over seas.

May 10, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #16,262 of 21,179
I'm using itunes w/ the amarra addon. The files are flac files. I tried again and I guess at 11am its fine but as i continue to listen i find myself turning it up and up.. until i'm around 1-2pm (rock/pop/etc). With classical i keep turning it up until i'm easily at 4-5pm.  Thanks for the inquiry!

May 10, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #16,263 of 21,179
You may be deaf. :grimacing: I'd unhook everything , wire the Lyr directly to a CD player just to see if it was a software issue. And of course , check all connections. With the pulse there were volume issues to figure out on the dac. Once my hps were only halfway connected. Thought I'd blown it all up.

May 10, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #16,264 of 21,179
Someone mentioned the volume setting. Did you turn the volume to the max in your music server and computer?

May 10, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #16,265 of 21,179
   Yeah people seem to really be raving about it. A bit more than I could spend right now. I don't really see myself using something other than the Asgard 2 for quite some time. Would it be pointless to go for a more expensive DAC with a more-entry level amp? If so, I could probably be patient and buy an Atlantis a little further down the road.

I think a DAC is one of the most important things in the chain other than the headphone itself. Of course going up the level of DAC and AMP isn't going to have as big of an impact if you're using lower res headphones and files or the genre of music doesn't call for all that high res. For example, if you're a basshead obviously bass rules and in which case having the most transparent system isn't a priority. Since you're in the HE560 thread however (and not in say in the THX00 thread), then the headphone and genre of music will play very well to climbing the layers of gear. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg and alittle bit of research goes a long way.

With the Asgard2 you'd benefit from a great DAC. That's not exactly entry level like DavidA mentions. MHDT's customer service is fantastic

May 10, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #16,266 of 21,179

I think a DAC is one of the most important things in the chain other than the headphone itself. Of course going up the level of DAC and AMP isn't going to have as big of an impact if you're using lower res headphones and files or the genre of music doesn't call for all that high res. For example, if you're a basshead obviously bass rules and in which case having the most transparent system isn't a priority. Since you're in the HE560 thread however (and not in say in the THX00 thread), then the headphone and genre of music will play very well to climbing the layers of gear. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg and alittle bit of research goes a long way.

With the Asgard2 you'd benefit from a great DAC. That's not exactly entry level like DavidA mentions. MHDT's customer service is fantastic

Well thanks to you and David for your advice on this! I feel a bit more confident about upgrading, still loving the HE-560. Thought I'd want to switch between these and my 400i more but they've stayed in the box since the 560 arrived. Will bust it out for a big review/comparison session. I'm going to write reviews for the HE-400 (wonderful intro to higher-end headphones for me), 400i, PM3 and HE-560. Maybe I should wait until I get a new DAC though in the coming weeks.

May 10, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #16,267 of 21,179
  I'm actually quite shocked to read this. I'm also using Bifrost Uber > Lyr2 w/ 1969 Amperex Holland tubes. I run everything through JRiver, all volumes at 100%, and normal listening is between 9 and 11 o'clock. Going above 12 for any length of time causes pain and I need to stop listening for a few days to save my ears. I love going above 12 though!

Classical music tends to be recorded with less compression. More volume is required from the amp to gain acceptable listening levels. More compression; louder sound with less volume.

May 11, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #16,269 of 21,179
  Heard these the other day, good sound, bit more refined than the HE400i.

I also think the HE560 will scale better with your gear if you plan to upgrade in the future

May 11, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #16,270 of 21,179
  Heard these the other day, good sound, bit more refined than the HE400i.

Agreed, I have owned both and that would be my exact feeling. The 560 also has better sub-bass extension while the 400i has a more present mid-bass sound, but again, not greatly so.

May 12, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #16,271 of 21,179
  I also think the HE560 will scale better with your gear if you plan to upgrade in the future

Agree, they really scale, almost as good as the HD-650 is ability to scale.

Agreed, I have owned both and that would be my exact feeling. The 560 also has better sub-bass extension while the 400i has a more present mid-bass sound, but again, not greatly so.

+1, also depends on the rest of the audio chain.

May 12, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #16,272 of 21,179
I recently took delivery of an audio Gd nfb 1 and this amp is very good with the 560's. One of the smoothest amps I've heard to date. Thought I was going to miss my carbon but this amp is better throughout. Very similar to the moon 430 imo. Amp has plenty of gain also, 10 o'clock on volume pot in low gain is plenty loud enough.

May 15, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #16,273 of 21,179
I didn't listen to my HE-560 in quite a while and man - I love this headphone.

Just sitting on the sofa and "quickly" trying if the Cayin C5 is a good pair with the 560 for a friend - and now 2 hours later I am still listening to that setup. Conclusion - hell yes, great "mobile" setup for sure. 

Lovely. Very happy with my Hifiman.

Cheers!

May 15, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #16,274 of 21,179
  I didn't listen to my HE-560 in quite a while and man - I love this headphone.

Just sitting on the sofa and "quickly" trying if the Cayin C5 is a good pair with the 560 for a friend - and now 2 hours later I am still listening to that setup. Conclusion - hell yes, great "mobile" setup for sure. 

Lovely. Very happy with my Hifiman.

Cheers!

Always great rediscovering something lost. Unrelated, but I'm curious to know how the PM2 differs from the PM3 in your opinion. I owned, and mostly really liked the PM3, but the rolled off treble did start to bother me. Is the PM2 different in this respect?

May 16, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #16,275 of 21,179
Always great rediscovering something lost. Unrelated, but I'm curious to know how the PM2 differs from the PM3 in your opinion. I owned, and mostly really liked the PM3, but the rolled off treble did start to bother me. Is the PM2 different in this respect?

Well, the PM-3 benefits from a bright-ish source. Like a hifiman 901 with balanced card. However both Oppos sounded the best I have heard with the Liquid Carbon and Pro iCAN. Nothing was missing. In general, the PM-2 with the PM-1 leather pads, does everything the PM-3 does better in my opinion. Mind you the treble is still a bit rolled off compared to an 560, but I prefer that for longer listening sessions.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back