= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 10, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #16,246 of 21,179
I'm using an SMSL sApII Pro for all my headphone amping needs and while I used to do about 12 o'clock on the TP30mkII with 100% volume on my PC, I now have the SMSL sApII Pro set to a tad bit below 9 o'clock and about 60% volume on my PC. This is one powerful little SS amp.

May 10, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #16,247 of 21,179
  The volume knob on my Lyr2 is at 1-2 o'clock position for most genres of music, with classical its usually between 2-3 depending on the recording.
Tubes currently installed are Siemens Lorenz gold pins.

Not to far from your setup.

Weird, I listen at about 85-90 dB on my 560 with my Asgard 2 and have my volume at about 12-1 o'clock on high gain, Modi 2U DAC (1.5V output).

I always figured you would need less with the Lyr, considering its extra power.

May 10, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #16,248 of 21,179
  Weird, I listen at about 85-90 dB on my 560 with my Asgard 2 and have my volume at about 12-1 o'clock on high gain, Modi 2U DAC (1.5V output).

I always figured you would need less with the Lyr, considering its extra power.

Also depends on the output level of your DAC and the volume pot may not be linear

May 10, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #16,249 of 21,179
  Also depends on the output level of your DAC and the volume pot may not be linear

In the case of the BiFrost, it actually should be louder (2V output). Not sure about the volume pot, I don't think it's linear though so that could be it.

Thinking I might pick up a Bifrost MB soon, anyone have experience with it and the 560? Is the quality significantly better than more entry level DACs?

May 10, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #16,250 of 21,179
Recently purchased these for home listening. I'm driving these using a Bifrost Uber/Lyr 2 w/ Orange Globe tubes. I find myself having to turn up the knob on high gain to the 3 or 4 o clock position when listening to classical music. I've gone as far as all the way on certain passages. I would have expected more headroom. All my sources are at 100% volume.  For other musics, the noon to 1 position is fine, but classical seems more demanding.. Also i get more noise than i'd like.  Let me know your thoughts.

I have the Lyr v1 -nm24-rotel cdp and 12:00 is really loud. 2:00 is unbearable with the 560. On well produced music or high metered discs. Most of my music is neither of those but 12:00 is still very loud. Same level as the Gustard h10.

May 10, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #16,251 of 21,179
  In the case of the BiFrost, it actually should be louder (2V output). Not sure about the volume pot, I don't think it's linear though so that could be it.

Thinking I might pick up a Bifrost MB soon, anyone have experience with it and the 560? Is the quality significantly better than more entry level DACs?

I have a MB and Uber, I would pass on the MB, improvements were not worth the cost to me, more like a slightly different signature, actually like my UD-301 a little more, haven't tried the 4490 so that might be a better upgrade.

Currently looking at either MHDT Pagoda or AudioGD DAC-19.  I've heard the Pagoda and the Master 9 which is a high end balanced version of the DAC-19, much better sound than the MB but also much more $$$, but either would be end game for me as far as DACs go.

May 10, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #16,252 of 21,179
  I have a MB and Uber, I would pass on the MB, improvements were not worth the cost to me, more like a slightly different signature, actually like my UD-301 a little more, haven't tried the 4490 so that might be a better upgrade.

Currently looking at either MHDT Pagoda or AudioGD DAC-19.  I've heard the Pagoda and the Master 9 which is a high end balanced version of the DAC-19, much better sound than the MB but also much more $$$, but either would be end game for me as far as DACs go.

Hmm, might look at the DAC-19 then, close in price to the MB. I want to move my Modi2U to my living room and get a new DAC for my desktop setup but if I'm going to invest in a new one, I'd like some noticeable improvements. Or maybe I just go with the 4490 Bifrost and save some money.

Thanks for your input!

May 10, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #16,253 of 21,179
If your budget is in the $800 region then I would look into the MHDT Labs Atlantis, it's their current entry level but it still does better than the MB and DAC19 imo. Uses the ad1862 chips which sound fantastic.

Shipping from Taiwan is 3-4 days to your door believe it or not.
Hmm, might look at the DAC-19 then, close in price to the MB. I want to move my Modi2U to my living room and get a new DAC for my desktop setup but if I'm going to invest in a new one, I'd like some noticeable improvements. Or maybe I just go with the 4490 Bifrost and save some money.

Thanks for your input!

May 10, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #16,254 of 21,179
  Recently purchased these for home listening. I'm driving these using a Bifrost Uber/Lyr 2 w/ Orange Globe tubes. I find myself having to turn up the knob on high gain to the 3 or 4 o clock position when listening to classical music. I've gone as far as all the way on certain passages. I would have expected more headroom. All my sources are at 100% volume.  For other musics, the noon to 1 position is fine, but classical seems more demanding.. Also i get more noise than i'd like.  Let me know your thoughts.

I'm actually quite shocked to read this. I'm also using Bifrost Uber > Lyr2 w/ 1969 Amperex Holland tubes. I run everything through JRiver, all volumes at 100%, and normal listening is between 9 and 11 o'clock. Going above 12 for any length of time causes pain and I need to stop listening for a few days to save my ears. I love going above 12 though!

May 10, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #16,255 of 21,179

I'm actually quite shocked to read this. I'm also using Bifrost Uber > Lyr2 w/ 1969 Amperex Holland tubes. I run everything through JRiver, all volumes at 100%, and normal listening is between 9 and 11 o'clock. Going above 12 for any length of time causes pain and I need to stop listening for a few days to save my ears. I love going above 12 though!

one thing about loving going above 12 and loving it...you're sure to need it more and more as time goes by :D

May 10, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #16,256 of 21,179

this is what i mean. thats litterally the exact same setup i have and i start at the noon position and go on up depending on sourced material. this has me bummed! 

May 10, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #16,257 of 21,179
If your budget is in the $800 region then I would look into the MHDT Labs Atlantis, it's their current entry level but it still does better than the MB and DAC19 imo. Uses the ad1862 chips which sound fantastic.

Shipping from Taiwan is 3-4 days to your door believe it or not.

Yeah people seem to really be raving about it. A bit more than I could spend right now. I don't really see myself using something other than the Asgard 2 for quite some time. Would it be pointless to go for a more expensive DAC with a more-entry level amp? If so, I could probably be patient and buy an Atlantis a little further down the road.

May 10, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #16,258 of 21,179
   Yeah people seem to really be raving about it. A bit more than I could spend right now. I don't really see myself using something other than the Asgard 2 for quite some time. Would it be pointless to go for a more expensive DAC with a more-entry level amp? If so, I could probably be patient and buy an Atlantis a little further down the road.

Not pointless, the Asgard2 is a little better than a entry level amp IMO, mid-fi level would be where I would place it.

May 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #16,259 of 21,179
  Not pointless, the Asgard2 is a little better than a entry level amp IMO, mid-fi level would be where I would place it.

Good to hear!

It's the only amp I've owned so not really sure how it stacks up to everything else out there but I love it. My remaining qualm is mostly the customer service aspect. One thing I like about Schiit is they are very present in this community and offer a much better warranty and less expensive/risky shipping as opposed to MHDT. Anyone worked with their customer service? It's a desktop DAC so I'm not too worried about it, but it's nice to have more convenient support as well.

May 10, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #16,260 of 21,179
  this is what i mean. thats litterally the exact same setup i have and i start at the noon position and go on up depending on sourced material. this has me bummed! 

What do you use for your music source? JRiver also? Do you have any plug-ins enabled or anything else that might be dropping the gain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back