= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 6, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #16,216 of 21,171

It makes perfect sense - I'm trying to simplify the question to see if I can get a straight answer.

Let me phrase it this way. What amount of watts from a speaker amp (at 8 ohms) is the minimum amount of wattage needed to drive the HE-6 properly? If we can't get that from what I was asking...

The phrase "driven properly" is meaningless as it applies to power output. It isn't that simple. The HE-6 can get loud enough from an O2. The Schiit Ragnarok puts out far more power, yet some people still prefer speakers amps.

May 6, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #16,217 of 21,171
Making the headphone loud enough does not necessary it is driven well. Especially for planar headphone, you may want more electric current. It will just sound better and different with a higher voltage.

May 6, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #16,218 of 21,171
  Curious as to how you arrived at this because you could destroy the HE-6 drivers easily with way less power than that.

I'm just curious because the HE-6 has always interested me but I've never been able to figure out how adding more power that isn't used increases sound quality.

Yep, had me scratching my head at that figure.......wouldn't that amount of wattage kill the driver? Pardon me, but new at this and am trying to learn. I've always been curious about the HE-6 and the 'necessity' of using speaker terminals to drive it 'properly'. Would really love to have a chance to buy this badboy to try out myself.....

May 6, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #16,219 of 21,171
  Yep, had me scratching my head at that figure.......wouldn't that amount of wattage kill the driver? Pardon me, but new at this and am trying to learn. I've always been curious about the HE-6 and the 'necessity' of using speaker terminals to drive it 'properly'. Would really love to have a chance to buy this badboy to try out myself.....

I demoed the HE-6 and HE1000 using the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp at an dealer. HE-6 from the balanced headphone and HE1000 from the 1/4 inch headphone jack. The EF-6 amp power 5W and 50Ohms. The HE-6 sounded quite good from the EF-6 amp. But the HE1000 is just way up there. Comfort, lightness, soft sounding, detail and easier to drive. 

Some enthusiast powering the HE-6 from loud speaker tap with 80W maybe just for the sake of "powering" them. But I cant judge since I never listened to the HE-6 from speaker tap.

May 6, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #16,220 of 21,171
As the more experienced owners of the HE-6 will point out, and have pointed out on the dedicated thread, it's not just about raw power as much as the quality of components and the power supply. Firstwatt amps put out far less than 80W into 8 ohms and destroy several amps in the latter's category. I use a Xindak PA-M which outputs 20W into 8 ohms of pure class A, and the HE-6 sounds very good. Will be getting a Bryston 2B here next week for comparison, which puts 60 W into 8 ohms, but I realize it's not just about raw power alone. 

May 7, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #16,221 of 21,171
is this HE-560 or HE-6 thread?  I think we are getting a little off topic guys and girls
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #16,223 of 21,171
Yea lets get back to the HE560.
I tried the HE560 and the HE400S on the HM901S player at the shop. The most obvious difference is that there is much more bass on the HE560. Especially the low end, there is much more rumble and impact. Since the HE400S have less bass and we are more focused on the mid range and vocal. Despite of the stronger bass on the HE560, it does not cover up the mid range and vocal.They are very well separated. Bass is well controlled and tight.  (IMO the bass on the HE560 has more rumble compare to the HE1000) 

The mid range on both HE400S and HE560 are very good. I don't have enough listening to differentiate which one is the clear winner. But if I am to compare vocal of HE560 and HE1000 with a acoustic track only one vocalist and very simple background music like piano, they are similar and at a comparable level. But if we moved to a more complicated background music and choir, the HE1000 is just cleaner with zero congestion. I am not saying the HE560 is congested but HE1000 is able to separate all the parts better than the HE560. 

May 7, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #16,224 of 21,171
The HE560 does require more power, but due to an oversight on my part, NOT as much as I'd thought it to need. Seems that when I'd sent in my HA-1 for servicing, the tech guy had headphone gain set at 'Normal' instead of 'High', hence my needing to turn up the volume knob to pretty high. Now, that I've corrected that, it seems it requires about as much as the HEK....perhaps the HE560 requires a tad higher volume to attain the same/similar volume.

On a side note, been giving the HE560 more head time and I must say, I like what I'm hearing, nice bass extension (not much in terms of mid bass slam but it does go low), very good mids though I do think the it may be a bit recessed (vocals sounded a tad recessed, not much though......or maybe it's my rather bad hearing playing tricks on me), great treble energy with no sibilance (at least, I don't hear it). In fact, I think it compares quite favorably even against its bigger sibling (HEK).

May 7, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #16,225 of 21,171
^ Yea, if we are to compare the mid and vocal of the HE560 and the HE1000, then the vocal on the HE560 maybe a little (just a little) recessed. Since the HE1000 have a softer sound signature, the lower bass on the HE1000 will never cover up the mid and vocal. But over all the HE560 can easily be an all time favourite for lots of people cuz a stronger bass is just that more fun to listen! And one of the most important issue the price difference between HE560 and HE1000 may not be that "fun" for majority of the people.

May 7, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #16,227 of 21,171
hahaha , i used  a bottle of 12 years old Ardbeg for my hd800 as a stand ...

May 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #16,230 of 21,171
Might have to sell some gear to get a good Bordeaux . Damn we're off topic again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back