= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 31, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #15,721 of 21,171
  (image missing) (image missing) 

Thanks for the info!

My avatar picture is of the acoustic parasitoid fly Ormia ochracea, a parasitoid of singing field crickets. The fly is tethered to a stick and held stationary ontop of a spherical treadmill (ping pong ball floating on an air stream). When she walks, the ball rotates and the motion is transduced with a modified optical mouse sensor. She has a pair of eardrums that she wears on her chest that allows her to find the location of a singing cricket to the accuracy of 2 degrees azimuth. In other words, put a speaker directly in front of the fly, the fly walks straight to track the speaker location. Move that speaker just 2 degrees to the left, 75% of the time, the fly will make a corresponding behavioural shift to track the change in speaker location. This level of directional acuity is on par with human hearing under the best acoustic conditions using headphones (must mention headphones here just to pretend that I'm still on topic) and simulated interaural time differences..

Interaural time differences for a sound at 2 degrees off of straight ahead is about 50 nanoseconds. Ormia has specialized eardrum mechanics that translates this minute time difference into something amenable (on the order of microseconds) for the neural processing of sound direction... .now isn't this really cool?

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #15,722 of 21,171
Bah! Forgot the all important word in my post - NOT. I do NOT want recessed mids. So that in mind how does the HE560 stack up for what I'm looking for?

I either get no reply or a cryptic reply on the bass so I will focus on that right now. From what I can gather the bass is detailed which is good but I'm looking for something that can deliver sub-bass as well as something that digs down and gives full bass.

As also asked how are these with metal as well with electronic music? If the above suggestions still apply after my clarification than I will start looking there.

That "NOT" was very important, lol
biggrin.gif

HE-560 or 400i would work quite well, the HE-560 doesn't have the quantity of mid bass as the 400i but its more detailed and goes lower.

I don't listen to metal but if electronic you mean EDM then they both do okay but I use my HD-700 for EDM as the bass is more present and hits harder but the mids are slightly recessed compared to the HE-400i/560.

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #15,723 of 21,171
  Thanks for the info!

My avatar picture is of the acoustic parasitoid fly Ormia ochracea, a parasitoid of singing field crickets. The fly is tethered to a stick and held stationary ontop of a spherical treadmill (ping pong ball floating on an air stream). When she walks, the ball rotates and the motion is transduced with a modified optical mouse sensor. She has a pair of eardrums that she wears on her chest that allows her to find the location of a singing cricket to the accuracy of 2 degrees azimuth. In other words, put a speaker directly in front of the fly, the fly walks straight to track the speaker location. Move that speaker just 2 degrees to the left, 75% of the time, the fly will make a corresponding behavioural shift to track the change in speaker location. This level of directional acuity is on par with human hearing under the best acoustic conditions using headphones (must mention headphones here just to pretend that I'm still on topic) and simulated interaural time differences..

Interaural time differences for a sound at 2 degrees off of straight ahead is about 50 nanoseconds. Ormia has specialized eardrum mechanics that translates this minute time difference into something amenable (on the order of microseconds) for the neural processing of sound direction... .now isn't this really cool?

VERY cool, man. Anybody who says invertebrates are primitive....

There's a reason insects have existed for millions of years -- adaptation and selection. Like headphones LOL. But on a much shorter time scale.

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #15,725 of 21,171
Bah! Forgot the all important word in my post - NOT. I do NOT want recessed mids. So that in mind how does the HE560 stack up for what I'm looking for?

I either get no reply or a cryptic reply on the bass so I will focus on that right now. From what I can gather the bass is detailed which is good but I'm looking for something that can deliver sub-bass as well as something that digs down and gives full bass.

As also asked how are these with metal as well with electronic music? If the above suggestions still apply after my clarification than I will start looking there.

If you are looking for a basshead cans you should look somewhere else. 
But HE-560 have very good bass, very deep into the very depths of low bass and subbass. 

* A side note - if you listen at low volume HE-560 might sound a little thin, that's true. 
But at middle volume and higher the bass is excellent, the most delicious multilayered articulated bass you can get in this price range. 

As for metal, I was surprised myself, but listening to metal my HE-560 have had more head time than my TH-600 lately. 

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #15,726 of 21,171
When properly driven, the 560's bass extends deeper than that of the HE-500, is more textured, and is far faster, making it quite amazing for a variety of genres, including classical, rock, and electronica. It is faster than that of the HE-6, but the HE-6 bass is otherwise the best I've heard from HiFiMAN (haven't heard HE-K but accounts tell me I'd prefer the HE-6's visceral bass to the soft impact of the HE-K). In short, I'd rate the HE-560s bass very very highly, but it's not going to sound as bodied as the HE-500 or, to a lesser extend, the HE-6. The coolest thing about the 560 was hearing how the bass sort of sneaks up on you unawares. You think there's nothing and then suddenly SNAP BOOM, there is the kick! Pick your poison with the HE-500 and HE-560: the 560 wins on technicalities for me and the HE-500 for tonality. The HE-6 wins on both fronts, but I know these silly rankings are so subjective and vague. Best thing to do is to audition! 

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #15,727 of 21,171
I agree, miss my 560. It was very high quality bass. A little more quantity and damn would the 560 cook! As said by others, the combined effects on the bass of deep extension, low distortion, speed and detail make for a very special headphone.

Apr 1, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #15,728 of 21,171
  That "NOT" was very important, lol
biggrin.gif

HE-560 or 400i would work quite well, the HE-560 doesn't have the quantity of mid bass as the 400i but its more detailed and goes lower.

I don't listen to metal but if electronic you mean EDM then they both do okay but I use my HD-700 for EDM as the bass is more present and hits harder but the mids are slightly recessed compared to the HE-400i/560.

EDM is definitely a large portion of the electronica I listen to, but I also listen to a lot more relaxed tunes.   Example here is a liquid d&b song with excellent sub-bass.  Without the sub-bass that song would lose its soul.

I want to like Seinheisers especially since so many have great things to say about the HD600s and up but I've tried two (granted lower end) but I really don't like that glossy feel it puts on all the songs.   I can see why people would like that as it probably increases the musicality but its like looking through rose/sepia colored glasses.   Not my thing and it sounds like the upper end Seinheisers still have that affect.

HE-560 way of life: relaxed but neutral (minus dip on mids)
HD800 way of life: earbleed
HD700 way of life: Bright but somewhat laid
T1 way of life: HD800+musicality

Short and to the point yet helpful. :)

If you are looking for a basshead cans you should look somewhere else. 
But HE-560 have very good bass, very deep into the very depths of low bass and subbass. 

* A side note - if you listen at low volume HE-560 might sound a little thin, that's true. 
But at middle volume and higher the bass is excellent, the most delicious multilayered articulated bass you can get in this price range. 

As for metal, I was surprised myself, but listening to metal my HE-560 have had more head time than my TH-600 lately. 

I don't need bass-head cans and I'm sure if I got some I would be sacrificing in other areas that I want.   I would also be looking more at a closed set.   I'm looking for a set of cans where the highs and mids are closer to neutral than extended.   What I want more of is bass.

Multilayered articulated bass definitely peeks my interest.  Glad to hear it also plays well with metal!

When properly driven, the 560's bass extends deeper than that of the HE-500, is more textured, and is far faster, making it quite amazing for a variety of genres, including classical, rock, and electronica. It is faster than that of the HE-6, but the HE-6 bass is otherwise the best I've heard from HiFiMAN (haven't heard HE-K but accounts tell me I'd prefer the HE-6's visceral bass to the soft impact of the HE-K). In short, I'd rate the HE-560s bass very very highly, but it's not going to sound as bodied as the HE-500 or, to a lesser extend, the HE-6. The coolest thing about the 560 was hearing how the bass sort of sneaks up on you unawares. You think there's nothing and then suddenly SNAP BOOM, there is the kick! Pick your poison with the HE-500 and HE-560: the 560 wins on technicalities for me and the HE-500 for tonality. The HE-6 wins on both fronts, but I know these silly rankings are so subjective and vague. Best thing to do is to audition! 

That was extremely helpful, thank you!   Definitely what I'm looking for.   If I had a store here to audition I would and maybe there is and I just haven't looked hard enough.  But for now I will ask opinions till I can hear them for myself.   Glad you responded.

I agree, miss my 560. It was very high quality bass. A little more quantity and damn would the 560 cook! As said by others, the combined effects on the bass of deep extension, low distortion, speed and detail make for a very special headphone.

More confirmation always helps, thanks for chiming in. :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #15,729 of 21,171
@Niteblooded:

Have a try at a 560 + a touch of EQ'ing to adjust the bass only for those tracks that you think may lose out on bass repro with 560. You never know.

There is no perfect HP for all genres of music.

good luck.

Apr 1, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #15,730 of 21,171

Hi CanadianMaestro,

I acquired a used bryston bha1 from another forum member at a bargain price! I've never tried balanced cables before. Do you have any comments on the he560 SE stock vs a balanced cable? I'll probably make my own balanced cable when I have a chance. Now the weakest link in my audio chain is probably my dac.

I've only ran my HE560's balanced from the BHA-1.
However, I ran my HD650's SE and Balanced and there was a noticeable improvement in sound when running balanced.

Mike

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #15,731 of 21,171

I've only ran my HE560's balanced from the BHA-1.
However, I ran my HD650's SE and Balanced and there was a noticeable improvement in sound when running balanced.

Mike

I did a balanced 4-pin Cardas (cross) cable for my 650 2 yrs ago. Not much of a diff from the same cable SE (I had Cardas chop and reterm). Win some, lose some. Such is the blooodsport of hi-end audio.   Might indicate my 650 is at its performance zenith as far as cabling goes. Which is good -- $ saved.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #15,734 of 21,171

Nice, I never did have any other pads besides the stock pads that shipped with the 560. I thought they were fine myself. I remember when padgate broke around here I almost got caught pad rolling, but I just never had the motivation to really do it.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #15,735 of 21,171
I rolled through all the Pads there are for my HE 560 (FocusPads-A, Audeze Vegan, Brainwavez HM5, Alpha Pads).
In my point of view the Mrspeakerz Alpha Pads are the winner for me.

The FocusPads-A sound very good, but are to small for my ear. 
The Vegan-Pads are a little weak on the sub-bass.
Alpha-Pads are great sounding, bigger than the FocsPads-A but are made of leather, which could be troublesome in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back