= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Feb 19, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #15,361 of 21,172
No, atleast not for me. I'd love to hear more about the V200, because Violectrics is a 45min drive away from where I live and I wouldn't mind supporting an almost local company.

I love my Violectric with the he560. Yes okay, I only have the v100, but it has plenty of juice IMO, can only imagine the v200 would sound better.

If they are so close, go see if you can have a demo?

Feb 20, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #15,362 of 21,172
I love my Violectric with the he560. Yes okay, I only have the v100, but it has plenty of juice IMO, can only imagine the v200 would sound better.

If they are so close, go see if you can have a demo?

Yeah, that's an option. But it is rather too expensive for me at that moment. I've just seen the Gustard H10 for 289 USD on Massdrop (if 10 commit). That's a very good deal imo. I think that I'll go with that option.

What cables do I need to buy?

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #15,363 of 21,172
Yeah, that's an option. But it is rather too expensive for me at that moment. I've just seen the Gustard H10 for 289 USD on Massdrop (if 10 commit). That's a very good deal imo. I think that I'll go with that option.

What cables do I need to buy?

H10 is pretty good pairing with HE-560.

What are the cables to be used for?  between what components?

Feb 20, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #15,364 of 21,172
H10 is pretty good pairing with HE-560.
What are the cables to be used for?  between what components?

Good to hear. I think that I won't do anything wrong with the H10 at 289 USD.

Well, I just have a Audioengine D1 DAC/Amp and the HE-560, that's just about it for now. I'm looking for a better standalone DAC as well, but still not too sure which to choose. I'm heading towards the Bimby. Would the O2 DAC be ok or would you invest more money right away?

That means that I need to buy cables between PC -> DAC -> H10 -> HE-560.

Edit: From what I've read in the last 45min, Massdrop is quite slow with shipping etc... And there is Swiss customs, too. Probably going to stick with Amazon?

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #15,365 of 21,172
Never heard the ODAC separately from O2, always together, but from what I've heard the ODAC is pretty good so I would save and get a better DAC later.  For cables look for decent quality RCA cable to connect DAC to H-10.

I have a Bimby but my son currently has it so still using Uber and UD-301, from reading it looks like the 4490 is about as good as the bimby so I'm thinking I might just get a third Bifrost 4490 and keep my Uber as is for my bedroomand when I get back the Bimby use it on my main system.  Or I just may go up the ladder and get a used MHDT Pagoda or Atlantis/Stockholm if I can find one for a reasonable price.

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #15,366 of 21,172
  Never heard the ODAC separately from O2, always together, but from what I've heard the ODAC is pretty good so I would save and get a better DAC later.  For cables look for decent quality RCA cable to connect DAC to H-10.

I have a Bimby but my son currently has it so still using Uber and UD-301, from reading it looks like the 4490 is about as good as the bimby so I'm thinking I might just get a third Bifrost 4490 and keep my Uber as is for my bedroomand when I get back the Bimby use it on my main system.  Or I just may go up the ladder and get a used MHDT Pagoda or Atlantis/Stockholm if I can find one for a reasonable price.

Alright. I just thought about it again and now consider to buy the Lyr 2 (what tubes to choose from the Website?), because of the fact that I can just order 2 items from one company. And Schiit seems to be a serious company, from what I've heard so far.

Is the Lyr 2 overpriced, comparing to the Gustard H10? If not, I'd go for Schiit Multibit at 599 USD and Lyr 2. What tubes are generally good for the Lyr 2? I have to choose between "Just 6BZ7", "LISST only" or "6BZ7 and LISST".

Or should I rather buy other tubes on my own? What would you recommend? And by the way, I'm really thankful that you've helped me a lot! :)

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #15,367 of 21,172
Alright. I just thought about it again and now consider to buy the Lyr 2 (what tubes to choose from the Website?), because of the fact that I can just order 2 items from one company. And Schiit seems to be a serious company, from what I've heard so far.

Is the Lyr 2 overpriced, comparing to the Gustard H10? If not, I'd go for Schiit Multibit at 599 USD and Lyr 2. What tubes are generally good for the Lyr 2? I have to choose between "Just 6BZ7", "LISST only" or "6BZ7 and LISST".

Or should I rather buy other tubes on my own? What would you recommend? And by the way, I'm really thankful that you've helped me a lot! :)

There's a whole thread on what tubes are good for Lyr: http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers

Lyr 2 is totally worth the price. Tons of power and versatility. The stock tubes are not great, so keep that in mind. I have yet to try LISST but want to. It would be a good reference "tube" to have.

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #15,368 of 21,172

Tubes for Lyr2 and HD-560, Vokshods, Telefunken CCa, Reflectors, and Amprex have all worked well for me, for the price Vokshods are pretty good, on the other side of the scale I really like Telefunken CCa's, they are over priced to me now but are still one of the better tubes I've tried so far.

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #15,369 of 21,172
There's a whole thread on what tubes are good for Lyr: http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers

Lyr 2 is totally worth the price. Tons of power and versatility. The stock tubes are not great, so keep that in mind. I have yet to try LISST but want to. It would be a good reference "tube" to have.

Okay, thanks.

Tubes for Lyr2 and HD-560, Vokshods, Telefunken CCa, Reflectors, and Amprex have all worked well for me, for the price Vokshods are pretty good, on the other side of the scale I really like Telefunken CCa's, they are over priced to me now but are still one of the better tubes I've tried so far.

Quite a lot of options to go with.

I've one big concern: the heat. In a review here on Head-Fi, I read that it gets "bloody hot" and you could even burn your fingers. Where I have my audio gear and my computer, it tends to be quite hot. Even now during Swiss winter, I reach 24°C. We do have AC for summer, but I won't use AC in winter, just to cool my Amp. Do you think I should rather go with a SS Amp?

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #15,370 of 21,172
 Where I have my audio gear and my computer, it tends to be quite hot. Even now during Swiss winter, I reach 24°C. We do have AC for summer, but I won't use AC in winter, just to cool my Amp. Do you think I should rather go with a SS Amp?

Keep the amp in a space of its own, nothing above or to the sides of it. Near circulating air (window/vent) worst situation.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #15,371 of 21,172
 Where I have my audio gear and my computer, it tends to be quite hot. Even now during Swiss winter, I reach 24°C. We do have AC for summer, but I won't use AC in winter, just to cool my Amp. Do you think I should rather go with a SS Amp?

Keep the amp in a space of its own, nothing above or to the sides of it. Near circulating air (window/vent) worst situation.

Should work, I suppose. Thanks for your quick answer!

So this would be my final basket? Is this good how it is or would you change anything?

I think that I will buy the Amperex Orange Globe Tubes as well from Ebay.

4e2835dbc817a7c800a6bd84ed793277.jpg

b5b88bdc0036a60311c21537ca7df708.jpg

6aa7989cd64ee323f593b50f160362ba.jpg

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #15,374 of 21,172
All these different opinions, but hey, that's why I like Head-Fi.

What Amp would you get then?

H10 on ebay from someone willing to declare low value, so you don't have to pay customs fee. I know how bad customs fee in Europe is, so that is a must I guess if you are saving costs. Order single V5s and they should be good now since they upped their QC. Duals are something that's up to you, but I am really enjoying without them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back