= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 14, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #15,017 of 21,171
I'm sure this has been asked, but this thread is hyoooooooge.

How do the HE-560 compare to the HE-500?

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #15,018 of 21,171
  This improvement is related only to my dac specific. I agree if no different with dac output signal (like for my A28) there will not be a huge change between jack and balanced cables.
I've tried Easther M1 (my portable) and D200+A28 (my home) and can say that speed control of 560 is very high. What is opinion regarding this parameter?

I didn't know much about the D200. So I take it you have a cable adapter that allows you to use the XLR output on the back? That only has a full output of 4.2V which is a little low, but not very low. Upon reading apparently the headphone out connection on the front of the D200 is actually more powerful than the XLR out option? The review I read from AndyKong seems to suggest that in balanced you would certainly not be hearing a louder signal so that isn't a factor, my mistake there.

You were asking about the speed and control of the 560, I'm going to assume you mean in the lower frequencies? If so yes the 560 is considered a fast headphone. I believe it is almost a universal principle that planar headphones are fast in this regard.

I am a believer that gear can make a difference. I do believe that a really well designed amplifier with a solid power supply section will have a better grip and control of the headphone and we hear this more easily with lower frequencies. I am an objectivist and subjectivist user, in other words I don't assume either position has all the answers, but I do not tend to fully believe the claims of substantial differences that sometimes come from the purely subjective users who feel that you can get night and day differences with some questionable approaches. On the other hand, I don't believe the position that there is no difference between gear that some purely objectivists promote either. In other words the cheapest amplifier if adequate will sound the same as a very well engineered amplifier. I don't believe that is as black and white true as some would promote. I have always felt the differences are perhaps not as massive as represented sometimes, but in my limited experience the differences can be audible.

I am only even mentioning this stuff as it is important to be upfront about where I stand which gives context to what I post about, or so I hope anyway. Everything in moderation as they say.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #15,019 of 21,171
1. Diffs exist between SQ of amps, DACs. Not always huge diffs.
2. YMMV
3. Don't believe all you read.
4. No substitute for auditioning.
5. Specs don't tell the whole story.

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #15,020 of 21,171
1. Diffs exist between SQ of amps, DACs. Not always huge diffs.
2. YMMV
3. Don't believe all you read.
4. No substitute for auditioning.
5. Specs don't tell the whole story.
Sorry but I can't agree with this. Just upgraded to multibit from a modi and the improvements were very noticable. So much that it was like holy sh--. I'm not the only one. Just read posts in the bimby thread from the past two days. I was seriously considering selling my 560's beforehand. I was a Dac skeptic also.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #15,021 of 21,171
He said " not always huge diffs" yours was a huge upgrade. From $100 dac to $600 dollar dac with better technology and different architecture. Diffs aren't usually as big as you just experienced. told you so:relieved:

Jan 14, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #15,022 of 21,171
Sorry but I can't agree with this. Just upgraded to multibit from a modi and the improvements were very noticable. So much that it was like holy sh--. I'm not the only one. Just read posts in the bimby thread from the past two days. I was seriously considering selling my 560's beforehand. I was a Dac skeptic also.

That's why I said, "Not ALWAYS huge diffs" and YMMV. System-dependent, "upgrade"-dependent, eh?

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #15,023 of 21,171
I contacted Hifiman customer service to find out if they have a 3.5mm adapter for the 6.3mm(1/4") plug that came with my 560's cable. As those who own the headphone know, the stock 560 cable plug is 1/4" only. This is unlike the cable that came with my 400i which has a 3.5mm plug and a 1/4" adapter. I've been using the 400i cable with the 560 so that I can plug it into my FiiO amp.

HFM emailed me and said they don't have an adapter but they offered to exchange the cable for one like the one that comes with the 400i.

Should I exchange my stock 560 cable for the 400i cable? or should I just buy the Sennheiser adapter on Amazon for $16 and be done with it?

What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #15,024 of 21,171
  I contacted Hifiman customer service to find out if they have a 3.5mm adapter for the 6.3mm(1/4") plug that came with my 560's cable. As those who own the headphone know, the stock 560 cable plug is 1/4" only. This is unlike the cable that came with my 400i which has a 3.5mm plug and a 1/4" adapter. I've been using the 400i cable with the 560 so that I can plug it into my FiiO amp.

HFM emailed me and said they don't have an adapter but they offered to exchange the cable for one like the one that comes with the 400i.

Should I exchange my stock 560 cable for the 400i cable? or should I just buy the Sennheiser adapter on Amazon for $16 and be done with it?

What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't how the 400i cable compares with the 560 cable, but the logical solution would be buy the adapter. You can always not use the adapter when you decide to upgrade your amplifier as most desktop amps have 1/4 input.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #15,025 of 21,171
Sorry, just read your post more carefully, you already know about the 400i cable I take it. If you're worried they sound different, well, ... you know how these conversations go. I think go with the cable that best suits your needs and if that means using an adapter no worries.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #15,026 of 21,171
Thank you, guys, for your response. I'll get the adapter so that I have the original cable just in case I want to some day sell them, which I doubt that would ever happen. What awesome headphones.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #15,027 of 21,171
What's the general consensus on going balanced with these? My Ragnarok just arrived yesterday and the shiny little XLR plug is whispering in my ear that I should do it, but a quick search didn't seem to find much...

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #15,028 of 21,171
I'm sure this has been asked, but this thread is hyoooooooge.

How do the HE-560 compare to the HE-500?

I have recently rediscovered my old HE-500 and I am wondering about this as well.

I feel I am liking the HE-500 more than the LCD-X I have been using the last year.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #15,029 of 21,171
  What's the general consensus on going balanced with these? My Ragnarok just arrived yesterday and the shiny little XLR plug is whispering in my ear that I should do it, but a quick search didn't seem to find much...

I only ran my 560's SE off an old AV receiver until my Carbon came in. I've been running balanced ever since, fully balanced from DAC to the 560s. 2x the voltage swings - can't see any negatives about that!

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #15,030 of 21,171

I have recently rediscovered my old HE-500 and I am wondering about this as well.

I feel I am liking the HE-500 more than the LCD-X I have been using the last year.

As a fellow M51 owner and former HE 560 owner I can tell you that the 560 is crazy good. Might not be warm enough for you though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back