= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 21, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #14,597 of 21,173
  So Ive heard that the Gustard H10, the Lyr/Bifrost, the Chord Mojo and the EF100 are all good amps from this forum.

My reference setup was the HE6 and the EF6 but thats outside of my budget. Ive just bought the HE 560 and i want to get the best amp to match. I dont need portability, what do people recommend? 

I wasn't thrilled with my 560s on my Schiit Mjolnir. I do however think it pairs amazingly well with my Woo Audio WA6-SE. Love rolling tubes to get the right sound.

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #14,598 of 21,173
  So Ive heard that the Gustard H10, the Lyr/Bifrost, the Chord Mojo and the EF100 are all good amps from this forum.

My reference setup was the HE6 and the EF6 but thats outside of my budget. Ive just bought the HE 560 and i want to get the best amp to match. I dont need portability, what do people recommend? 

The Gustard H10 are usually available on Massdrop for a fair price of $299. Be on the lookout for when the drop opens again if you're considering them. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #14,599 of 21,173
My turn for a pad question.

Is it more or less unanimous that the FocusPad A offers improvements?  The HE560 is plenty comfortable, so I'm not really concerned about that aspect.

Also, this travel case business is ridiculous.  Overpriced, but anyway it should've come in place of that clunky mass-production China chic shoe box.  It may be among my least favourite objects of all time and doesn't deserve the space it's taking up in my house.  I hate trash that comes with expensive electronics and can't be thrown out.

Nov 21, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #14,600 of 21,173

No, it's not.  I'm not sure that you're understanding the point.  There are only 2 electrical contacts per driver.  In balanced operation, there would be 4 total conductors connecting to the drivers (L+, L-, R+, R-).  That is not unbalanced, which would be 3 conductors (L, R, shared ground).  A third conductor per side could be used to shield the cable in balanced operation but would not connect to the drivers in any way.  This can be seen in the image that I'd posted.

I think that you're looking at a single driver in our discussion, and thinking that since there are only 2 conductors, it must be unbalanced. That is not true.  The conductors differ that in balanced there will be a "+" and "-" conductor, and in unbalanced there will be a signal and ground (where the ground is shared with the other channel).  So, 4 total conductors, for balanced, and 3, for unbalanced.

You are right sorry, I misunderstood your point

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #14,601 of 21,173

Which reminds me of a song...:)

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #14,602 of 21,173
  My turn for a pad question.

Is it more or less unanimous that the FocusPad A offers improvements?  The HE560 is plenty comfortable, so I'm not really concerned about that aspect.

Also, this travel case business is ridiculous.  Overpriced, but anyway it should've come in place of that clunky mass-production China chic shoe box.  It may be among my least favourite objects of all time and doesn't deserve the space it's taking up in my house.  I hate trash that comes with expensive electronics and can't be thrown out.

A​bsolutely, I hate any accessories myself. I want ALL of the cost into the headphone, screw boxes or travel cases, I can buy an after-market solution if I need one. I have no idea why people are impressed with fancy boxes, don't they realise that is part of the retail price not a free addition? Give me a dirt cheap Grado pizza box any day of the week over some fancy case I don't need.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #14,604 of 21,173
Look what I got as a replacement for my faulty HE-560:

See what I see?

The updated HE-560 with 2.5mm connectors!! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
K

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #14,605 of 21,173
  Look what I got as a replacement for my faulty HE-560:

See what I see?

The updated HE-560 with 2.5mm connectors!! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
K

You lucky person. Though I'll be honest, the old cherrywood case it used to come in feels more premium than this one, which is the same case that the HE400i comes in if I'm not mistaken.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #14,606 of 21,173
The last two posts bummed me out.

I just paid 850 euros, and not having 2.5mm connectors was an annoyance I thought I'd have to accept.

Back to what should be the totally unnecessary subject of packaging--including how they wrap the cable--at least this one doesnt totally inept at being something that's pretty easy to be: a box.

Selfishly bummed out, but it's good that they're addressing the little things, even if I wish companies would stop this practice of releasing products that are supposed to be finished and not long thereafter fixing a couple boneheaded mistakes without comment, as if it's a second revision.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #14,607 of 21,173
  You lucky person. Though I'll be honest, the old cherrywood case it used to come in feels more premium than this one, which is the same case that the HE400i comes in if I'm not mistaken.

You really mean the "premium" one with sharp edges, lid that just rests on top and slides off at the slightest angle, padding that's loosely fitted, cable wrapped with hard angles in three places, a ridiculous weight that's not justified by the quality of materials or construction, and in my case a screw that protrudes through the lid and renders the box more likely to damage the cans than it does to protect them?  Can this less premium one really be worse?

The next shoebox that comes my way is going to replace that premium-feeling thing.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #14,608 of 21,173
Gentlemen,

besides being surprised about this change, I am torn, as I have a lovely balanced cable from bestintheverse.com -> now I need to send it in to change it, or get an adapter 
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #14,609 of 21,173

You really mean the "premium" one with sharp edges, lid that just rests on top and slides off at the slightest angle, padding that's loosely fitted, cable wrapped with hard angles in three places, a ridiculous weight that's not justified by the quality of materials or construction, and in my case a screw that protrudes through the lid and renders the box more likely to damage the cans than it does to protect them?  Can this less-premium-looking one really be worse?

The next shoebox that comes my way is seriously replacing that premium-looking thing.

You have a quite a severe aggression towards the old box. Which for the record, I have literally NONE of the problems you had. My lid DOESN'T slide out if I tilt it, there ISN'T a screw that protrudes through the lid, and I dunno what the heck happened to yours but mine came with exactly the same padding system as in the pictures above. I never said this new one is any worse, I simply said I preferred the look of the old one better.

I could argue with you about this, but it's a matter of differing experiences and opinions which would render such an argument completely pointless. While pointless arguments are a mainstay of the internet, I like to think we're better than that here on Head-Fi. Find a shoe box and and some foam and carve yourself your own box since you obviously know you can design something better to put your headphone into. Many Head-Fiers are quite resourceful and I suspect you believe yourself to be the same. So go do that and show us what you make. I'm sure others would like to know how to make a nicer box if they, like you, feel the original isn't up to snuff.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #14,610 of 21,173
  The last two posts bummed me out.

I just paid 850 euros, and not having 2.5mm connectors was an annoyance I thought I'd have to accept.

Back to what should be the totally unnecessary subject of packaging--including how they wrap the cable--at least this one doesnt totally inept at being something that's pretty easy to be: a box.

Selfishly bummed out, but it's good that they're addressing the little things, even if I wish companies would stop this practice of releasing products that are supposed to be finished and not long thereafter fixing a couple boneheaded mistakes without comment, as if it's a second revision.

Yes, those screw on connectors has gotten loose a few times and was surprised it took a long time for HiFiMAN to change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back