= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 21, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #14,581 of 21,173

Is that really true?  I don't think that TRS (3-conductor) termination at the driver is necessary for balanced operation.  Each cable would have 3 conductors (and 3-conductor termination would be present on the amp side), but 1 conductor (the ground) only acts as the cable's shield.  2 conductors (+ and -) go to each driver, see image below.  The ground conductor would not connect to anything on the driver anyway.  The (floating) shield could stop at the connector (or in the connector but not connected to a sleeve).  So, I think that mono (2 conductor) termination at each driver would be sufficient, unless I'm missing something here (which of course I could be).

(image from headphone.com)

Balanced requires 3 different connections, 2 for audio, one for the ground or shield. The 2 audio connections are out of phase with each other, which allows any interference that was picked up to be removed. If you only have one audio connection, it is an unbalanced connection and you lose the interference protection. So yes, a TRS or other style of plug with 3 connectors (XLR) is required.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #14,582 of 21,173
I believe on the headphone side it is only 2. Even mono jack would work. The coax connector has only 2 points.

If it is a balance interconnect then yes it needs 3.

Balance headphone cable needs only 4. 2 wires for each side.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #14,584 of 21,173
I believe on the headphone side it is only 2. Even mono jack would work. The coax connector has only 2 points.

If it is a balance interconnect then yes it needs 3.

Balance headphone cable needs only 4. 2 wires for each side.

That was my understanding, as well.  I was also going to say that the coax connector is only 2 conductors, but you beat me to it.  A headphone driver only has 2 connections.

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #14,586 of 21,173
  That was my understanding, as well.  I was also going to say that the coax connector is only 2 conductors, but you beat me to it.  A headphone driver only has 2 connections.

If this is the case (and I agree it is), its means the cable is unbalanced. 

That said, balanced cables for headphones seems overkill, as the cable lengths are generally quite short.

EDIT: Actually, are you saying 2 conductors, as in 2 connections with audio + the ground... and so 3 wires total?

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #14,587 of 21,173
  If this is the case (and I agree it is), its means the cable is unbalanced. 

That said, balanced cables for headphones seems overkill, as the cable lengths are generally quite short.

No, it's not.  I'm not sure that you're understanding the point.  There are only 2 electrical contacts per driver.  In balanced operation, there would be 4 total conductors connecting to the drivers (L+, L-, R+, R-).  That is not unbalanced, which would be 3 conductors (L, R, shared ground).  A third conductor per side could be used to shield the cable in balanced operation but would not connect to the drivers in any way.  This can be seen in the image that I'd posted.

I think that you're looking at a single driver in our discussion, and thinking that since there are only 2 conductors, it must be unbalanced. That is not true.  The conductors differ that in balanced there will be a "+" and "-" conductor, and in unbalanced there will be a signal and ground (where the ground is shared with the other channel).  So, 4 total conductors, for balanced, and 3, for unbalanced.

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #14,588 of 21,173
Quick question regarding the angled pads on the HE-560:

The thicker part should be toward the rear, correct?  On mine, just purchased, the thicker part is at the front on each side.  Are mine on backwards?

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #14,589 of 21,173
I just started hearing these after owning them for nearly a month.  Everything's in storage but the portable solutions for now, so after finding out that the JDS C5D wasn't powerful enough for the HE560 I'm a very happy camper since yesterday with the Mojo.

Yea, the HE560 isn't really portable, and the amp was meant for my Etys at first, but anything I'm hooked on will eventually be taken everywhere.  Except drugs.  Or especially drugs.

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #14,591 of 21,173
I just started hearing these after owning them for nearly a month.  Everything's in storage but the portable solutions for now, so after finding out that the JDS C5D wasn't powerful enough for the HE560 I'm a very happy camper since yesterday with the Mojo.

Yea, the HE560 isn't really portable, and the amp was meant for my Etys at first, but anything I'm hooked on will eventually be taken everywhere.  Except drugs.  Or especially drugs.

Love mine with the Mojo!

Nov 21, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #14,592 of 21,173

Correct.

Hope it doesn't offend to ask, but are you sure you're looking at the front?  Cables angle forward.

Yes, the connectors angle toward the front, and the drivers are labeled "L" and "R," so it's pretty easy to tell which way is forward.  Then the pads are backwards.  These were supposedly new, as well.  I'd be surprised if they came from the factory like that.  I'm also having an issue with one of the coaxial connectors on the cable.  It appears to be faulty. The headphones did look new in the box.  I will contact the seller.  Thanks.

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #14,593 of 21,173
  Yes, the connectors angle toward the front, and the drivers are labeled "L" and "R," so it's pretty easy to tell which way is forward.  Then the pads are backwards.  These were supposedly new, as well.  I'd be surprised if they came from the factory like that.  I'm also having an issue with one of the coaxial connectors on the cable.  It appears to be faulty. The headphones did look new in the box.  I will contact the seller.  Thanks.

I wouldn't be surprised if HFM put them on backwards.  Quality control is not one of their strong suits.  Plenty of us received one FocusPad and one FocusPad-A with our new HE-560.

The pads are designed to be removed "easily" and put back on.  Assuming you actually got one Left and one Right pad, the seam on the side where the stitching is should line up with the bottom of the cups (purely a cosmetic thing, of course, but people also complained about that in the early days).  Just take them off, rotate to the correct orientation, and reattach.

NB: the HE-560 pads are designed to "lock" into the correct position (i.e., when attached correctly, they shouldn't rotate freely, which is why you need to detach them before reattaching them).

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #14,594 of 21,173

I wouldn't be surprised if HFM put them on backwards.  Quality control is not one of their strong suits.  Plenty of us received one FocusPad and one FocusPad-A with our new HE-560.

The pads are designed to be removed "easily" and put back on.  Assuming you actually got one Left and one Right pad, the seam on the side where the stitching is should line up with the bottom of the cups (purely a cosmetic thing, of course, but people also complained about that in the early days).  Just take them off, rotate to the correct orientation, and reattach.

NB: the HE-560 pads are designed to "lock" into the correct position (i.e., when attached correctly, they shouldn't rotate freely, which is why you need to detach them before reattaching them).

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I do realize that I can flip the pads easily.

However, I'm more annoyed about the cable.  The L connector will not thread onto the L post.  It will engage for maybe 1 turn or so, but then slips off.  It's strange, because the L connector will thread onto the R post, and the R connector will thread onto the L post.  So, it appears to be a combination of the L connector and L post, though I suspect that a new cable will work fine (as I'm guessing that the posts are probably fine).  I will see what the seller states.

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #14,595 of 21,173
So Ive heard that the Gustard H10, the Lyr/Bifrost, the Chord Mojo and the EF100 are all good amps from this forum.

My reference setup was the HE6 and the EF6 but thats outside of my budget. Ive just bought the HE 560 and i want to get the best amp to match. I dont need portability, what do people recommend? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back