= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 18, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #13,756 of 21,175
The Lyr would drive the 6, but some have reported not liking the pairing. If you already have speaker amps, you just need to re-terminate the cable, or get Hifiman's Adapter for $100.

A T-class amp and a couple of 10ohm resistors will probably set you back $250. $700 (bargain!) for a used HE-6, and you're still paying less than a grand. Bonus if the used HE-6 already comes with mods and upgraded pads.

Knowing ThurstonX, I would wager he would prefer unmodded so he can set Rangy on the project from scratch. And he already has the Audeze Vegans.

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #13,757 of 21,175

The Lyr would drive the 6, but some have reported not liking the pairing. If you already have speaker amps, you just need to re-terminate the cable, or get Hifiman's Adapter for $100.

A T-class amp and a couple of 10ohm resistors will probably set you back $250. $700 (bargain!) for a used HE-6, and you're still paying less than a grand. Bonus if the used HE-6 already comes with mods and upgraded pads.

T-Class amps, meh. IMO, he's better off with his Lyr.

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #13,759 of 21,175
Knowing ThurstonX, I would wager he would prefer unmodded so he can set Rangy on the project from scratch. And he already has the Audeze Vegans.

Exactly.  Rangy likes to think of it as job security 
wink.gif

The eBay listing says they are a "new" (unused) replacement pair sent by HFM.  The seller got tired of waiting two months for them, so bought another pair.  Now he's selling.  That's dedication, and someone's serious savings.  Looks like the complete package, plus speaker taps.  So, unmodded.

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #13,760 of 21,175
Jul 18, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #13,761 of 21,175
  Y'all are funny 
smily_headphones1.gif

The trick, I've found, is to mod your cans so much that they become akin to your own creation.  Once you do that, you're less inclined to part with them, and indeed, others likely would be less inclined to buy them.  That depends on how much you mod them, and how reversible those mods are.  With their handmade custom DIY pads, grills and cable, my HE-560s are here to stay.  That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to hear those more expensive cans, but it does mean they feel a bit more special when I slip them over my ears.  Maybe someday I'll have a stable of cans to match my Glass Menagerie.  The $700 HE-6s on eBay are tempting.

Just a li'l down home wisdom for y'all 
wink.gif

I thought your assistant  'Rangy modified your cans! Is the HE-6 "better" than the modded HE-560? I am quite delighted with my HE-560 stock.
What did Yoda say- "Once you start down the Path to the Modded Can, forever are you lost…" 

Jul 18, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #13,762 of 21,175
  I thought your assistant  'Rangy modified your cans! Is the HE-6 "better" than the modded HE-560? I am quite delighted with my HE-560 stock.
What did Yoda say- "Once you start down the Path to the Modded Can, forever are you lost…" 

May the dark side of the force be with you. 
very_evil_smiley.gif
 I guess that mod didn't work out so well.

Jul 18, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #13,763 of 21,175

Wasn't Yoda Mary Tyle Moore's buddy?:confounded:

Jul 18, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #13,765 of 21,175
HAHAHA

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #13,768 of 21,175
I'm just listening to my 560, stock cable, out of a Polaris amp and iPod Classic/HP-P1 DAC. Set at low BW to tame the highs. Wasserman's  Dustin' Off The Bass sounds soooo smooth and the bass is deeeper than Solomon's mines. And Schubert's 9th. The strings are supremely textured and the wood resonances just decay like the real thing. Quite a pairing. Surprised that a <$300 amp can make a $1K HP sing like this.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #13,769 of 21,175
  I think that it is a quite unnatural progression. More like a defect that makes "US" never be satisfied with anything. I  too am afflicted... but it is anything but natural. We evolved by acquiring, over time, characteristics that helped us to survive. That is natural. This compulsive behavior is not.....
I fight it, believe me...but it is a losing battle. . In previous eras, I would have been culled from the gene pool... now I have HeadFi....
Sigh.

Not exactly, novelty seeking is an important part of survival and evolutionary change in advanced species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back